How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Washington? (2023)
Washington is one of the best places to do business, so it is no surprise that business owners would like to know how to set up an LLC and how long it would take them to do so in the state.
As a business consultant with years of experience with LLC formation, I will explain in detail how long it will take you to form a limited liability company in Washington and the options available.
The processing time may be influenced by factors such as the method of filing, the volume of applications being handled, and the time of year.
Additionally, consider enlisting the assistance of a top-notch LLC service in Washington, as they can assist you in filing the necessary documents for your Washington LLC formation.
- It takes 4 to 6 weeks to form an LLC in Washington if you filed by mail and only 5 business days if you opt for online process.
- The state of Washington covers expedited filing by mail (3 business days) and in person (same-day) for a fee of $100 and $150 respectively.
- You can select a future date to complete your LLC filing, but it must not be more than 90 days after the filing date.
- Since I’ve helped a lot of clients form an LLC in Washington, the timeline of the process can vary based on several factors.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Washington?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Washington is by filing an expedited application in person.
If you pay the $150 fee and your request is received before 3:30 p.m., it will be processed the same day, usually within one hour.
Remember that the fees are non-refundable, and you can pay them through multiple payment methods such as cash, check, money order, and American Express.
Learn more about the cost of an LLC in Washington.
LLC Processing Time in Washington
The Washington Secretary of State offers several ways to file for forming an LLC. They include the following:
1. Expedited Washington LLC Processing Time By Mail (2 business days + $100)
The fee for expedited filings is $100 per entity. If you want to file via mail, all you need to do is enclose the $100 per entity in addition to the filing fee and write "EXPEDITE" in bold letters on the outside of the envelope .
Mailed expedited filings are generally processed within two business days.
2. Non-Expedited Washington LLC Processing Time By Mail (2 to 6 weeks)
Standard filing may take 2 to 6 weeks on the average, since the filings are processed based on when they were received.
The timeline would depend on how much the agency is processing during the time of application.
Non-expedited Washington LLC processing time by mail entails a fee of $180 .
3. Washington LLC Processing Time Online (5 business days)
You will pay a $200 fee if you want to file online, and your LLC processing time should take no longer than five business days.
Factors Influencing the Formation Timeline of Washington LLCs
Standard filing time for an LLC in Washington takes weeks, and the process may be accelerated through an expedited option.
However, there are several factors that may prolong the actual process, these include the following:
- Weekends and holidays: The filing process may take more time if the LLC application has been filed just before the weekend or during the holiday season, since government agencies do not conduct business during this time. I’ve always advised my clients to file on a Monday to have their LLC approved much quicker.
- Volume of transactions: Standard or expedited times may also be extended due to the volume of documents being processed by the agency during that time.
- Documentation: The submitted documents must contain all necessary information in order for the filing process to be completed. All the requirements should be met, including the fees that have to be paid.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in Washington
- Changing an LLC name in Washington
- How to File an LLC Annual Report in Washington
Where Can I Check the Status of My Washington LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Washington LLC formation during the processing period by postal tracking, email or through online notifications on your online account.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Washington?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLC in Washington.