How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Ohio (Full Guide)
Before you enjoy all LLC perks, knowing how long the Ohio Secretary of State takes to receive, evaluate and accept the articles of organization paperwork is a good idea. As an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions, I assisted entrepreneurs in forming their businesses.
Working with our LLC specialists in the state, we've researched the processing times offered by the state of Ohio to give you the most updated information.
We've also created a list of the best LLC formation services in Ohio that will guide you through the process and ensure your business stays compliant with state business laws.
- It takes 3-7 business days to form an LLC in Ohio if you filed by mail and online.
- Expedited service is available in the following options: 2-day processing ($100), 1-day delivery ($200) and 4-hour service ($300).
- There are several factors that may prolong the processing time, such as workload volume, document issues and filing during peak seasons.
- Expedited filing is the best option if you want to streamline the formation process.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Ohio?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Ohio is filing by mail and availing the expedited processing service. Expedited mail filing will allow you to complete the process in a matter of hours instead of the usual 3 to 7 day processing period.
This will enable you to start operating your LLC and conducting business in the state at a much quicker turnaround.
LLC Processing Time in Ohio
The Ohio LLC processing time is when the SOS receives your certificate of formation, evaluates, approves, and sends it back to you.
Here are four filing methods and their corresponding processing times:
1. Expedited Ohio LLC Processing Time By Mail (1 business day + $300)
The SOS offers three expedited service options for Ohio LLCs, including:
- $100 for a 2-day delivery
- $200 for a 1-day delivery
- $300 for a 4-hour delivery applies to in-person submissions made by 1.00 pm 
Note that these fees are paid in addition to the regular state filing fee for your articles of organization.
Submit your expedited filing to the following address:
P.O. Box 1390
Columbus, OH 43216
On my last project, I filed an LLC application in person and opted for the 4-hour expedited service. The agency processed and approved the documents within that timeframe.
2. Non-Expedited Ohio LLC Processing Time By Mail (3-7 business days)
Based on our research, regular LLC processing time for mail filing is 3-7 business days. I received my LLC formation documents on the 5th day from the date of filing.
When mailing your LLC Articles of Organization to the SOS office, attach the $99 filing fee as a check or money order payable to "The Ohio Secretary of State."
Submit your regular filing to the following address:
P.O. Box 670
Columbus, OH 43216
3. Ohio LLC Processing Time Online (3-7 business days)
Online processing time takes 3 to 7 business days to be approved. Depending on the filing traffic, online submissions can take up to 24 hours to be accepted.
When a client of mine applied for an LLC, they had to file on the Ohio Business Filings portal . If you're a new filer, you must create a user profile with your legal name, address, country, and phone number.
For returning filers, you only need to log in with your email/username, password, and e-signature. Complete the Ohio LLC online filing by paying the processing fee using any global debit or credit card.
Learn more about how much does an LLC Cost in Ohio.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Ohio LLCs
Several factors can affect the time it takes for the state to process your LLC formation papers. These include the following:
- Volume of filings: Regular processing service may be extended due to the volume of applications and agency workload.
- Issues in the documentation: The state will reject documents with incomplete or inaccurate information. That’s why I always tell my clients to thoroughly check and review their documents before submission.
- Filing during peak seasons: If you filed during the end or beginning of the year, your application may be prolonged because most companies apply and renew their businesses during this time.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Ohio LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Ohio LLC formation during the processing period on the state's business search portal.
Can a Registered Agent Expedite the Process of Forming an LLC in Ohio?
A registered agent cannot expedite the process of forming an LLC in Ohio. However, you are required to employ one to remain compliant with state business laws.
Do I Need a Business License for my LLC in Ohio?
You need a business license for your LLC in Ohio. The licenses and permits your need to acquire will depend on the nature of your business.