The LLC Formation Process in Maine is pretty straightforward. However, if you're a small business owner or entrepreneur who is unfamiliar with the requirements and process, it can be a bit challenging and stressful.
So, to avoid this, it may be ideal for you to hire the best LLC service in Maine to assist you in accomplishing the formation process.
In this guide, we selected the top Maine LLC formation services along with their service features, pros, and cons to help you decide which online LLC service is right for you. If you're ready, then keep scrolling!
Top 6 Best LLC Services in Maine (September 2022)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
If you are a startup business owner and entrepreneur looking for a premium-level LLC service, registered agent service, and customer support, ZenBusiness is the best option for you.
They were formed in 2015, but despite being a newbie in the industry, ZenBusiness has already helped over 300,000 LLCs nationwide.
They have over 4,500 online customer reviews, with a 4.7/5 average rating. Their customer reviews all rave about the same thing: the exceptional customer service provided during the business formation process.
- Starter Formation Package: LLC formation, free operating agreement template, and one-year Maine registered agent service.
- Pro package: Provides additional features, such as EIN (Employer Identification Number) registration, VIP processing, annual report file management, and two-year amendments.
- Premium package: Provides additional features, such as expedited filing, a business domain name, an email account for the website, and domain privacy.
- Registered Agent Services: Free registered agent service for the first year on all three packages. Renews annually for $119 or $99 when purchased separately.
- Features cost-efficient LLC formation packages
- Responsive and personalized customer service
- Has an outstanding 6,200 customer reviews online
- Includes a year of free registered agent
- Less experienced LLC service company
- Has slower turnaround time compared to other service providers
- Requires an extra fee to obtain an EIN
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent has a reputation in the LLC formation service industry for offering top-notch customer service to its clients since 1998.
Besides that, they also have one of the most affordable LLC formation packages, which you can purchase at $39.
Their LLC formation packages in Maine include a free year of registered agent service, as well as a team of expert customer support representatives to help you through each stage of the LLC formation process.
Northwest Registered Agent clients can contact customer service at any time if they have a query.
- Base Formation Package: LLC formation paperwork, LLC name search, and filing of all legal documents. Plus, 1-year free registered agent.
- Deluxe Package: Provides additional features, such as access to an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and a draft of the Michigan LLC operating agreement.
- Premium Package: Provides access to priority processing, which puts your LLC filing at the forefront of the line.
- Registered Agent Services: Free registered agent service in the first year. Renews annually for $125.
- Provides the best-in-industry customer service
- Has privacy by default guarantee
- Includes one year of registered agent service
- Limited features in their packages
- Doesn't have many customer reviews online
3 - IncFile
Maine is one of the states with the highest LLC filing fees in the United States. So, if you're a startup or small business owner looking to save your initial business costs, IncFile is the perfect option for you.
There is no need to pay extra for your LLC service in Maine; simply pay the filing fees, and your LLC business is ready to get started.
In addition to their free package, IncFile offers upgraded options if you want additional LLC and legal services, such as EIN registration, banking resolution, custom website and domain, and more.
- Free Silver Package: Maine LLC formation paperwork, next-day order processing, lifetime company compliance alerts, business tax consultation, and 1-year free registered agent service.
- Incfile Gold: Provides additional features, such as preparation of the operating agreement, EIN registration, LLC kit, banking resolution, and express shipping.
- Platinum Package: Provides additional features, such as free custom website and domain, priority expedited filing, and platinum LLC kit.
- Registered Agent Services: Free registered agent service for the first year on all three packages. Renews annually for $119.
- Their basic LLC service package is free.
- Includes a free Maine registered agent service for one year
- Provides online tools for tracking orders, storing documents, and more.
- Comes with more upsells than other services
- Has mixed customer reviews online
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is one of the few LLC formation services that specializes in legal concerns. They have over twenty years of expertise and have helped over 4 million people and businesses, half of which are business formation services.
This is why business owners seeking expertise and an established reputation when starting a Michigan LLC frequently turn to LegalZoom.
However, one drawback we notice with LegalZoom is that they offer limited LLC features compared to other LLC companies.
- LLC formation Economy Package: LLC formation paperwork, LLC name search, filing of LLC documents, lifetime customer support, and a draft of banking resolution letter. Costs $79 plus the Maine state fee.
- Standard Package: Provides additional features, such as a deluxe organizer, membership official certificates and seal, and VIP processing. Costs $329 plus the Maine state fee.
- Express Gold Package: Provides additional features, such as expedited processing and faster shipping. Costs $349 plus the Maine state fee.
- Business Advisory Plan: Provides year-round attorney help, tax advice, and access to legal forms, copyrights, and more. Costs $39.08 per month.
- Registered Agent Services: Available only as an add-on service for $159 in the first year, then costs $249 in the following year.
- Established brand in LLC formation services
- Has high client volume
- Provides extended customer support hours
- Has extensive legal services for your LLC
- LLC formation packages don't include many features
- No registered agent service included
- Many upsell to high-priced add-on services
5 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer works similarly to LegalZoom. It is an all-in-one legal tech company in Maine that helps small business owners and entrepreneurs obtain affordable legal paperwork assistance and high-quality client support.
This LLC service provider was founded in 2008 and has already provided legal services to over 25 million consumers, including a large volume of LLC formation services.
- Business Formation Service: Business name search, preparing and filing Articles of Organization, phone and email support, online document storage, and shipping hard copies of documents. It costs $99.99 plus state fees for non-members and $39.99 per month for a member formation plan.
- Business Bundle Plan: Discounted prices for attorney services, LLC formation, registered agent services, and the creation of legal documents. It provides a 7-day free trial before charging $39.99 a month.
- Registered Agent Services: Non-members may purchase it for $149.99 annually, while members get a 25% discount.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Free year of registered agent services
- Discount for premium members
- High prices compared to some competitors
- The free trial converts automatically
- Not specialized in business formation
6 - Maine Registered Agent LLC
Maine Registered Agent LLC is a local commercial clerk based in Portland, Maine. They provide registered agent services professionally and are registered with the Illinois Secretary of State.
While they specialize in this service, Maine Registered Agent LLC also provides an LLC formation service.
Their Maine LLC Formation Package is widely regarded as the best deal in the state. They also have a customer service team in Portland that is completely knowledgeable about the state's regulations.
So, if you're forming an LLC and are looking to hire a registered agent service, Maine Registered Agent LLC is your best option.
- LLC Formation Package: Maine state filing fee, LLC formation, One-year Registered Agent Service.
- Registered Agent Services: Free registered agent service for the first year on all three packages. Renews annually for $49. It can be purchased separately for $49.
- No Upsells
- No Cancellation Fees
- Free registered agent service
- Commercial registered agent
- Limited reviews online
Advantages of Creating an LLC in Maine
There are several advantages to forming an LLC in Maine, including assets protection, tax flexibility, and easier and less expensive business formation and operation.
Read more below for more detailed information:
1. Personal Assets Protection
Forming a limited liability company in Maine protects your personal assets from being targeted by business creditors in the event that your LLC is sued.
Aside from that, Maine LLCs protect the owners and members from potential personal responsibility committed or incurred by other LLC members or owners.
2. Simple and Affordable Formation and Operation
LLCs do not require any documentation or formalities in order to operate. Unlike forming a corporation as a business entity, LLCs don't need corporate bylaws, name executives or board members, have initial board meetings, or issue stock.
To get your LLC started, you only need to pay minor charges, such as the state filing fee.
3. Flexibility in Taxation
LLCs are considered pass-through entities, which means that profits from the business are allocated to the LLC members, and each member is responsible for federal and state taxes on his or her portion of the company's profits.
Additionally, LLCs can still choose how they will be taxed–either as a C company or an S corporation–whichever gives them more taxation alternatives than corporations.
Maine LLC Formation Process
Maine Secretary of State does not require business owners and entrepreneurs to hire a business formation service to create an LLC on their behalf.
The following steps can help you set up an LLC in Maine, whether you use an LLC service or do it yourself:
Step 1: Choose an LLC Name
Step 2: Appoint a Maine Registered Agent
Step 3: Create an LLC Operating Agreement
Step 4: File Maine LLC Certificate of Formation
Step 5: Obtain LLC Business Licenses
Step 6: Acquire an EIN in Maine
For more detailed information on how to start an LLC in Maine, read our free guide here.
Qualities to Look For in a Maine LLC Service
Now that you know the best LLC services in Maine, you must decide which quality of a Maine LLC service you should prioritize when selecting the best for your Maine business.
Here are some qualities of the ideal LLC service:
- Packages at Reasonable Price: Look for a package that includes all the tools you will need to get your Maine business up and running.
- Simple User Experience: The order process must be simple and easy to navigate. Their website must also be updated and user-friendly to avoid any hassle.
- Customer-centered: They must have tried and tested customer support so that response time will not be a problem you may encounter in the future. If they have extended customer support hours, that's better.
- Excellent Track Record: Check how long they have been in the industry and which companies they have previously worked with. Customer reviews tell a lot about the company.
How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Maine?
It costs $100 to start an LLC in Maine. The filing fee for the Articles of Organization can be filed online and by mail. You may also file a name reservation for your LLC, which costs $25 when filed by mail or in person. This holds the name for 120 days.
Starting an LLC in Maine is pretty simple, but using an LLC service will make it easier for entrepreneurs and business owners like you to get started without worrying too much about the registration process itself.
If you want a premium Maine registered agent, we recommend ZenBusiness. Their most remarkable feature is a low-cost Maine LLC formation service package suitable for beginner entrepreneurs. Still, other packages can meet the needs of business owners wanting their LLCs to grow.
ZenBusiness will benefit your business, as many former clients with different needs have confirmed.