Choosing the right service provider in Maine can be challenging and stressful if you're a small business owner or entrepreneur.
We wanted to help you find the right balance between cost and quality and get everything you need without spending too much on unnecessary features.
So we spent over 3 months testing the best LLC services in Maine. We teamed up with our experienced legal advisors to research and compare over 20 competing services.
This review will explore some of the best LLC services in 2023.
The Maine LLC service review is based on our personal experience and shares what makes this service the top choice for customers.
Top 7 Best LLC Services in Maine (October 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness has supported more than 300,000 LLCs across the country, making a significant impact as a newcomer to the Maine LLC formation services industry.
ZenBusiness makes it easy and affordable to get started with the legal aspects of your business.
They provide a straightforward platform for the drafting and filing of your business formation paperwork, so you don't have to pay attorneys or specialists to do the same thing.
My LLC was approved in a mere four days, and a comprehensive New Business Kit was provided.
Their client-oriented approach, especially in billing, is commendable.
We were very impressed with their services and we even did a separate ZenBusiness overview. They were very quick to respond and had a customer-focused approach.
We would recommend them for anyone just starting out.
- Starter Formation Package ($0 + $175 State Fee): Along with Maine LLC formation service, complimentary operating agreement template, and 2 to 3 weeks standard filing speed, you'll also get 100% accuracy guarantee. With this package, you'll also experience worry-free compliance during the first year (optional), with an option to renew at $199/year if you accept. You'll also get annual report file management, two-year amendments, banking services, a Website Builder and Money Pro Bookkeeping.
- Pro package ($199 + $175 State Fee): The Pro Maine LLC services package offers extra perks aside from the Maine LLC formation services, like registering for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) and LLC operating agreement template at $99. Moreover, this package has the added convenience of expedited "rush" filing speed, averaging 1-2 business days.
- Premium package ($349 + $175 State Fee): This Maine LLC services package provides all Pro features with additional features, such as business document templates, a business domain name, a fully customizable business website, an email account for the website, and domain privacy.
- Registered Agent Services ($199): You can get a yearly renewal for $199.
- They offer several formation deals that you can purchase
- Competitive Pricing
- They provide everything you'll need to get your business on track
- They prompt growth for enterprises
- Positive consumer feedback
- Excluding non-profit business formation
2 - Northwest Registered AgentWould you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest Registered Agent is dedicated to delivering dependable and professional services to their clients, which is why they are ranked as the top registered agent service in Maine on our list.
Besides that, they also have one of the most affordable high-quality LLC formation service packages. We formed our LLC for just $39 plus state fees, a great deal for the level of service we received.
We tackled the initial steps in 9 minutes, and in 72 hours, everything was in order.
Their LLC formation packages in Maine included a free year of agent service and a team of expert customer support representatives.
The agents will guide you step-by-step with your LLC formation process. We found them to be very knowledgeable.
Northwest Registered Agent clients can contact customer service anytime if they have a query about their business formation service.
Feel free to read the review of Northwest Registered Agent for more details about this company.
- Basic Plan ($39 + $178 State Fee): Basic Plan may be used to form LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits and comes with articles of organization, an operating agreement, a year of free registered agent service in Maine, and both standard and expedited processing speeds available.
- Full Service LLC Formation Plan ($225 + $178 State Fee): With Full Service, you get an operating agreement, free limited mail forwarding, same-business-day filing, and a client account loaded with free forms and tools in addition to the service features from the Basic Plan.
- Northwest Registered Agent Services ($125): Physical addresses for your business in the state of Maine with Northwest experts' guidance are some of the advantages of using Northwest. First-year will be free if you form your LLC with a Basic or Full-Service Plan.
- Well-equipped to handle any file or data needs
- They keep your details private
- Their selling prices are concise
- A complimentary 12-month registered agent
- Higher price points
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
IncFile provides excellent value for money when you consider the comprehensive set of features that come with the service.
Maine is one of the states with the highest LLC filing fees in the United States.
So, if you're a startup or small business owner looking to save on those initial business costs from the business formation service, IncFile is the perfect solution for you.
We tested the IncFile upgraded LLC services options for additional LLC and legal services, such as EIN registration, banking resolution, custom website and domain, business formation service, and more.
They proved very helpful. IncFile also offered us a range of valuable limited liability company service features, such as backup software for your formation documents and a tailored dashboard to keep track of important dates and compliance notifications.
These LLC services will assist you in staying entirely up to date on upcoming state regulations.
Please read the IncFile review for additional details about this company.
- Silver Package ($0 + $178 State Fee): IncFile Silver package will be cost-free. You will only have to pay the state of Maine fee for the formation of your LLC. You will have unlimited attempts to find out if your business name is available. The Silver Package will also provide you with aid in the preparation and filing of your company articles.
- Gold Package ($199 + $178 State Fee): Special assistance in the preparation of your operating agreement is one of the features that distinguish the Gold Package from the Silver Package. You will also have access to a personalized online dashboard, IRS Form 2553, a banking account for your business, and professional consultation in the field of taxes will be available for you if you opt for this IncFile Package.
- Platinum Package ($299 + $178 State Fee): With the Platinum Package you get a free domain name and many templates for business contracts, in addition to all features from previous IncFile packages.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): These services will be cost-free if you decide to form your LLC with any of the previous LLC formation packages.
- Services for forming an LLC are relatively affordable
- A year of complimentary agent service is also included in the LLC incorporation package
- They guided the formation of almost 500,000 firms
- There is internet and phone support available for limited liability company
- Annoying upsells
4 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings is a growing business formation service company in the congested Maine LLC creation service sector.
Swyft Filings may be an excellent choice for certain simple LLC forms and incorporations in Maine, thanks to its flexible pricing and speedy response time.
Although they are new to the game, this company has already earned thousands of glowing reviews from satisfied customers.
Swyft Filings also stands firmly behind its 100% satisfaction guarantee! If you're not completely satisfied with their services, they'll be happy to reimburse your payments – no questions asked.
We especially appreciate that Swyft Filings has partnered with a nationwide accounting firm to offer an hour of consulting on various business-related matters, including setting up an online account, business tax obligations and deductions, business bank account administration, and more.
For additional details about this company, please check our Swyft Filings review.
- The Basic package ($0 + $178 State Fee): Basic package is ideal if you want basic LLC incorporation plus document filing.
- The Standard package ($199 + $178 State Fee): Includes everything in the Basic Package. You’ll also obtain Federal Tax ID (EIN) and most documents needed to start your business (operating agreement, banking resolution, and organizational minutes).
- The Premium package ($299 + $178 State Fee): Premium includes all basic and standard services and additional ones, including free domain and business website hosting, a customized digital corporate kit, and the FedEx delivery of your approved articles with a tracking number.
- Registered Agent Service ($99 per three months ): This will be an ongoing quarterly subscription for Registered Agent Services.
- Rapid application procedure
- An adaptable pricing model
- Service to customers that is straightforward and personal
- Registered agent is too costly
- Extravagant upselling
5 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is one of the few Maine LLC formation services specializing in legal concerns.
They have over twenty years of business formation service expertise and have helped over 4 million people and businesses, half of which are business formation services.
We decided to give them a try as well. We were impressed by the breadth of services they offer, and their registered agent service has especially proven valuable.
However, one drawback we notice with LegalZoom is that they offer limited Maine LLC features compared to other LLC companies.
For more information about this company, check the LegalZoom review.
- Basic Package ($0 + $178 State Fee): LegalZoom Basic package includes comprehensive name search and business entity filing, a complete digital LLC welcome packet, an article of organization and a customizable website powered by Wix.
- Pro Package ($249 + $178 State Fee): Includes everything the Basic package includes. However, it comes with tax-saving consultations, EIN, an operating agreement, and a comprehensive guide on licensing.
- Premium Package ($299 + $178 State Fee): It includes everything that the Pro package has, plus an unlimited half-hour attorney consultation on trending legal topics and changes applied to LLC formation documents within 3 months of the initial subscription
- Registered Agent Services ($299): If you choose LegalZoom to form your company, you will pay $50 less for the registered agent. Following that, renewal would cost $299.
- Renowned Maine LLC formation services brand
- Offers extended hours of customer help
- Provides tailored and comprehensive legal services to LLCs
- LLC formation packages don't include many features
- No agent service included
6 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance is an expert firm that provides Maine LLC forms, incorporation, and other business compliance-related solutions.
They may assist you with several critical responsibilities associated with launching a new firm.
This compliance expert firm provides a complete registered agent service and numerous business formation services and software options.
Our experience with their registered agent service was highly satisfactory.
They skillfully handled all formal communications between our business and government agencies, ensuring that we met all our legal obligations in a timely and efficient manner.
Check out the Harbor Compliance review for more details about this business.
- Formation Package ($99 + $178 State Fee): With this Formation Package you will have your name availability checked and your business articles prepared and filed in the State of Maine.
- Registered Agent Service (89-$99): Annual fees from $89-$99 per state with no additional charges, you get a 5-10 % discount if you pay ahead for your Maine Registered Agent Service for 2+ years. Immediate online access to registered agent address.
- Personalized customer service
- The importance of compliance concerns cannot be overstated
- Processing time of just one day
- Extremely costly the LLC formation service
- There are no refunds
7 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer provides an accessible and valuable service that helps business owners and entrepreneurs in Maine get reliable legal advice and paperwork support.
This all-in-one legal tech company offers a cost-effective solution and superior client support.
Their free app for both Android and iPhone is definitely worth mentioning, as it made a big difference for us.
With its intuitive interface, we could easily download the app and generate a variety of legal documents, making the entire process much more manageable.
We're particularly grateful for their specialists' prompt and professional response.
See the Rocket Lawyer review for additional information on this company.
- Standard LLC Formation Package ($99.99 + $178 State Fee / Free with $39.99 per month membership) If you opt for Standard Package membership, you can benefit from free legal documents, attorney services, free LLC formation services, and 25% off registered agent service.
- Registered Agent Services ($149.99): $149.99 per year for Maine Register Agent services - A 25% discount is available if you have a membership. Membership costs $39.99 monthly.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Free year of agent services
- Discount for premium members
- The LLC formation service prices are a bit higher compared to some other companies
- Automatic subscription after the end of a free trial
Pros of Forming an LLC in Maine
Forming an LLC in Maine has its benefits! An LLC in Maine may benefit you by protecting your assets, gaining tax flexibility, and making business formation and operation more accessible and affordable.
Read below for more detailed information:
1. Personal Assets Protection
Forming a limited liability company in Maine protects your personal assets from being targeted by business creditors if your LLC is sued.
In addition, forming an LLC in Maine shields owners and members from any liability that may arise from the actions of other LLC members or owners .
2. Forming and Operating a Business is Straightforward and Cost-effective
LLCs do not require any documentation or formalities to operate.
Forming an LLC as a business structure differs from forming a corporation. There's no need to create corporate bylaws, appoint company directors or executives, organize initial board meetings, or issue stock.
To start your LLC in Maine, you only need to pay minor charges, such as the state filing fee.
3. Flexibility in Taxation
LLCs are considered pass-through entities. This means that profits from the business are allocated to the Maine LLC members. Each member is also responsible for federal and state taxes on their portion of the company's profits .
Also, LLCs can select their preferred method of taxation– either as a C or S company.
Maine LLC Formation Process
The following steps can help you set up an LLC in Maine, whether you use a service or do it yourself:
- Step 1: Select a Name for your LLC
- Step 2: Get Maine Registered Agent
- Step 3: Form an LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 4: File Maine LLC Certificate of Formation
- Step 5: Obtain LLC Business Licenses
- Step 6: Acquire an EIN in Maine
See our article for more information on how long it takes to start a Maine LLC.
Qualities To Look For in a Maine LLC Service
Here are some qualities you should prioritize when selecting the best LLC services for your Maine business:
- Packages at Reasonable Price: Look for a package with all the tools you need to get your Maine business up and running. It may be advantageous for you to choose a no-cost package otherwise they could significantly raise the cost to incorporate an LLC in Maine.
- Simple User Experience: The ordering process should be straightforward navigation. Their website must also be updated and user-friendly to avoid any hassle.
- Customer-centered: They must have tried and tested customer support so that response time will not be a problem you may encounter in the future. If they have extended customer support hours, that's better.
- Excellent Track Record: Check how long they have been in the industry and which companies they have previously
Does Maine Require an Operating Agreement for LLC in Maine?
No, Maine doesn’t require an operating agreement for LLC in Maine, but it is recommended if you are running or plan to run one.
Does Maine Require a Registered Agent for an LLC?
Yes, Maine's LLC statute requires every LLC in Maine to have a registered agent, who can be a human or a corporate entity with an address in the state (no post office boxes). The registered agent receives official documents from the State of Maine and any service of process that the state can serve on a business during a lawsuit.
How Long Does It Take To Set up an LLC in Maine?
It takes 15–20 business days to set up an LLC in Maine. You can pay for expedited processing if you need your Maine LLC quickly. It costs $50 more for 24-hour processing and $100 more for rapid processing. Expedited costs are in addition to the filing fee for an LLC in Maine.
What's the Best LLC Services Provider in Maine?
Creating an LLC in Maine is a breeze, but utilizing LLC services can make it a whole lot easier for you to get up and running without having to worry about the process of registration.
If you want a premium Maine registered agent, we recommend ZenBusiness. Their most remarkable feature is a low-cost Maine LLC formation service package suitable for beginner entrepreneurs.
We were incredibly thankful to ZenBusiness – they were a tremendous help throughout the process, from setting up our domain to opening a checking account. Their support has been an invaluable boost to our business.