How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Connecticut (Guide)
To launch an LLC in Connecticut, you should understand how long the Connecticut Secretary of State takes to receive, verify and process your LLC registration documents.
Through my experience as a Mergers and Acquisitions specialists, consultations with business owners, and a deep dive into the state's regulations, I’ve gained valuable insights into the timeline of forming an LLC in Connecticut.
This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide on the subject, and we'll also cover the potential factors affecting the timeline and essential resources to expedite the process.
- It takes 3-4 weeks to form an LLC in Connecticut through mail filing, while online registration is almost immediate.
- Connecticut offers expedited processing for an additional $50 state fee to speed up the LLC formation process.
- The filing methods include online filings, paper filings (3-5 business days), and physical mail filing/in-person delivery (3-4 weeks).
- I prefer filing online since it has the quickest turnaround time.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Connecticut?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Connecticut is by filing online using the expedited service. Your formation documents are processed within 24 hours.
This rush filing service option is available for the following:
- All formation and registration documents that were submitted using the "Start a Business" flow command on the CT account
- Company filings made via the "Submit Paper Filing'" tab
- Certified document copy requests
LLC Processing Time in Connecticut
As of 10th January 2022, the Connecticut Secretary of State officially offers three filing methods for your business registration documents .
Here's a brief breakdown of the LLC processing times of each filing method.
1. Expedited Connecticut LLC Processing Time Online and By Paper Filing (24-hour processing + $50)
You must pay additional state fees of $50 if you want your registration papers approved in 24 hours.
I avail of expedite service for clients who want to start their businesses as soon as possible. The agency had processed the application within the stated timeline.
2. Connecticut LLC Processing Time for Paper Filings (3-5 business days)
Paper filing is an online filing option introduced by the Connecticut SOS to replace email filing effective from 10th January 2022.
Here, domestic and foreign LLCs must submit all registration documents as attachments.
Paper filings take 3-5 business days to be processed. Although it is slower than online filing, you can still pay an extra fee if you want your documents processed within 1 business day.
I found it helpful that I can also track and monitor my paper filings on my CT account by clicking the 'My Filings' tab on the dashboard.
3. Connecticut LLC Processing Time Online (Immediate approval)
The online registration process is relatively straightforward and can be approved instantly or within 1 business day.
The Connecticut business website also offers a new checklist instrument resource if you need more business management information.
4. Non-Expedited Connecticut LLC Processing Time By Mail and In Person (3-4 weeks)
This filing method accounts for all documents delivered by hand, mail, UPS, or FedEx.
Physical mail delivery is one of the slowest filing methods offered by the Connecticut SOS and takes 3-4 weeks to be processed.
When sending physical mail to the SOS office, ensure the following:
- The document is correctly filled out and signed
- You write the correct SOS address on the envelope
- You attach the proper payment amount
Payments can be made only via money orders or checks - no cash or credit cards.
Through our research, we learned that the SOS doesn't offer expedited shipping for papers submitted by mail or in person.
See our article for more information on how much an LLC cost in Connecticut.
Factors Affecting the Processing Time for Connecticut LLCs
Here are some factors that may affect the processing time for a Connecticut LLC:
- Backlog of filings: The workload and backlog of the Secretary of State's office can affect processing times. During peak filing seasons or periods of high demand, processing times may be longer.
- Preparation of required documentation: Certain documents must be prepared and filed to establish an LLC. I always remind clients to prepare these documents to ensure a smooth formation process.
- State holidays: Processing times can also be affected by state holidays or closures. It's important to consider these factors when estimating the processing time.
- Communication and correspondence: Timely and accurate communication between the filer and the Connecticut Secretary of State's office can help expedite the process. Promptly responding to any inquiries or requests for additional information is important.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Connecticut LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Connecticut LLC formation during the processing period through your CT online account or by visiting the official state’s website and utilizing the “Ask A Question” webpage.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Connecticut?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Connecticut. The state will review and approve your application depending on your method of application.