A registered agent is in charge of receiving legal documents on your behalf and ensuring your Texas LLC remains compliant by maintaining up-to-date paperwork. While there are many registered agent services available in Texas, it is still best to select the one that is most appropriate for your business entity.
Otherwise, you run the risk of losing important legal documents through the mail or failing to meet deadlines, both of which could put you in hot water with the Texas Secretary of State.
Below is a list of the top registered agent services in Texas.
Top 6 Best Registered Agents in Texas (November 2022)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)
Northwest Registered Agent is a top-tier Texas registered agent service — they do everything from providing the street address you need to scanning and forwarding every document they receive on your behalf.
On top of that, they notify you of future compliance filing deadlines, ensuring that you file your annual report, franchise tax, and other tax documents on time.
To assure quality service, they also have a US-based customer support team comprised of former attorneys, accountants, small company owners, and entrepreneurs.
- Registered Agent Services: Charges $39 on the first year and renews annually at $125.
- Texas LLC Formation: Basic package starts at $125, which includes registered agent services, Privacy by Default®, Local Corporate Guides®, free mail forwarding/scanning, and same-day local document scanning.
- Confidentiality are protected
- Outstanding client service
- 20+ years of experience in the industry
- Costs are not hidden
- One year registered agent service with formation packages
- Not the most inexpensive choice
2 - ZenBusiness
Go for ZenBusiness if you're looking for quality Texas registered agent services at an affordable price. They provide complete coverage of registered agent service with the option to upgrade at an additional cost.
ZenBusiness is well-known for its reasonable prices, transparency, user-friendly interface, and customer dedication. They have over 4,500 customer reviews online with an average rating of 4.7/5.
- Registered Agent Services Basic Package: The price starts at $99 without LLC formation.
- Registered Agent Service Worry-Free Compliance Package: Additional $50 per state. Includes annual filing report alerts, filing of legal documents, two free changes to filings, and coverage for any fees incurred if you fall out of compliance with the state.
- Texas LLC Formation: Basic package starts at $39, including a one-year Texas, registered agent service, and a free operating agreement template.
- Clear and reasonable pricing model
- Extended customer chat support
- Has gotten a numerous positive customer feedback
- 60-days refund if not satisfied
- Brand recognition is poor
3 - IncFile
If you're a startup or a small business owner, IncFile will make a lot of things easier for you, especially with your starting budget. IncFile is the only service company to offer free LLC formation services.
Additionally, its Texas registered agent services are also free in the first year, which already includes 24/7 access to your account on the online dashboard, email forwarding, and customized notifications.
InFile's quality of service is backed by 13,500+ reviews of positive ratings online with only a few poor ones. They are well-known registered agents for their ease of use and excellent customer service.
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $119 annual fee but offers a free registered agent service with formation packages.
- Texas LLC Formation: Free of charge, so you only have to pay for the $85 filing fee due to the Texas Secretary of State for the first year.
- Has a registered agent dashboard
- Free year registered agent services with formation packages
- Processing orders quickly
- No unforeseen fees
- Mediocre support choices
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is your best choice if you're looking for a premium Texas registered agent as well as a one-stop shop for legal services.
Because they have already established a significant presence in the registered agent services industry, you may anticipate their pricing to be higher than the rest of the competition.
Their registered agent service includes service features such as business data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage. The premium part of their offering is that they also provide you with up to $1 million worth of identity theft protection.
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $299 annual fee and includes features such as business data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage. The premium feature offers up to $1 million worth of identity theft protection.
- Texas LLC Formation: Business formation services start at $79 + state fee.
- Has high customer volume
- Offers wide a variety of legal services
- Great brand power
- Mediocre customer reviews
- High prices
- No registered agent included with LLC formations
5 - Rocket Lawyer
The Texas registered agent services offered by Rocket Lawyer represent only a small portion of the company's portfolio. As such, this registered agent is best suited for business owners or entrepreneurs seeking long-term legal benefits in addition to LLC incorporation.
They have previously served over 80,000 business entities and are known for providing high-quality legal assistance and advice.
- Registered Agent Services: Charges $149.99 annual fee for non-members. It also includes storing legal papers in an online document repository and submitting the Texas Certificate of Formation.
- Business Bundle Plan: Includes registered agent services for free for the first year.
- Excellent customer support
- Subscription-based pricing
- Provides legal documents
- Provides support from legal experts
- Limited service features
- Credit card for a free trial
6 - IncorporateMax
IncorporateMax is a Texas-based registered agent service that has been in the business formation industry since 2010. They offer Texas incorporation and registered agent services and serve all types of business entities, including LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits.
IncorporateMax is the least expensive Texas registered agent service provider on this list, but it also has the fewest reviews.
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $49 annual fee and includes features such as a secure online account, annual report filing reminders, and monthly corporation status monitoring. Plus, a change-over process from a prior registered agent if you're transferring from a different registered agent.
- Texas LLC Formation: Charges a one-time $375 fee with a free registered agent service on the first year and renews annually at $49.
- Competitive and affordable price
- Fixed registered agent fees
- Unlimited Client Support
- Very few consumer reviews online
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Registered Agent Service in Texas?
A common practice of entrepreneurs and startups is to act as their company's own registered agent since it reduces the costs of starting the company. However, we can't ignore the obvious benefits of using one, which makes the extra fees worthwhile.
Below are some of them:
- Convenience. Many entrepreneurs and business owners want to focus on scaling their businesses instead of dealing with administrative tasks. With the assistance of a registered agent service, they can do just that. The registered agent can handle the tedious paperwork and provide their client with an online account that securely saves all company files and documentation in one location.
- Saves money in the long run. A registered agent can help entrepreneurs with multi-state companies in submitting legal documents and paying state filing fees on time. This way, businesses avoid incurring additional expenses due to being late.
- Maintains privacy. With a registered agent service, you don't have to worry about exposing your personal address on the public record once you create your LLC. Instead, the registered agent service will provide the address, which means that all papers will be served to the registered office address, including if your business is sued.
- Highly dependable. Things can get complicated quickly if it involves matters of state or corporate law. You may benefit from the services of a registered agent with years of experience working with other business entities. Registered agents can also provide additional legal services that help you run your business well and keep you on the right side of the law.
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost in Texas?
In Texas, the cost of hiring a registered agent could range anywhere from $50 to $300 per year. Considering how much time and energy it will save you, it definitely is a small price to pay.
Besides assisting in filing the paperwork to create an LLC, most registered agent services also offer assistance in filing annual reports, monitoring due dates and renewals, and providing other legal services.
Who Can Be a Texas Registered Agent?
Like any other state, Texas allows any entity or individual to act as a registered agent for a Texas business. This is provided they are at least 18 years old, have a physical address in the state in which the LLC is created, and are available during normal business hours.
Here are four options you can select from when appointing a registered agent for your Texas:
Option 1: You can act as your LLC's Texas Registered Agent.
Option 2: Your LLC can be its own Registered Agent.
Option 3: You can designate a trusted friend or family member as your LLC's Registered Agent.
Option 4: You can use the services of a Texas Registered Agent Company, often known as a Commercial Registered Agent.
Is My Texas LLC Required to Have a Registered Agent?
Yes, your Texas LLC is required to have a registered agent. Every business entity formed and registered with the Texas Secretary of State must appoint a registered agent. Without it, the Secretary of State will reject your LLC formation filing.
What Does a Texas Registered Agent Do?
A Texas registered agent do to act as the point of contact for your business. This means they are responsible for receiving service of process, like legal notice of a lawsuit and legal documents from the Secretary of State on behalf of your LLC.
How Do I Choose a Registered Agent in Texas?
To choose a registered agent in Texas, you can appoint yourself, a trusted friend, or a family member for your Texas LLC. They should above 18 years old and have a physical address in Texas.
Can I Act as My Own Texas Registered Agent?
Yes, you act as your own Texas registered agent, which also means you will be the person in charge of receiving all official documents on the company's behalf.
Can I Use the Registered Agent Office Address as My Business Address?
No, you cannot use the registered agent office address as your business address. Generally, it is only meant to receive official government documents relevant to your business.
Can I Use a PO Box for My LLC in Texas?
Yes, you can use a PO Box for your LLC in Texas. On the other hand, your registered agent must have a physical address in Texas.
And the BEST Registered Agent Service in Texas is...
If you plan to expand your business, keep up with state offices and regulations then choosing a professional registered agent service in Texas is highly recommended.
If you are in need of Texas registered agent, we recommend hiring Northwest Registered Agent. They are most known for their customer-centered service. They also offer great value for your business, since the formation package and registered agent services answer all your business and legal needs.
We hope this guide has helped you assess your business needs and identify that the Northwest Registered Agent is probably the most suitable one for your company.