A registered agent is in charge of receiving legal documents on your behalf and ensuring your Texas LLC remains compliant by maintaining up-to-date paperwork. While there are many registered agent services available in Texas, it is still best to select the one that is most appropriate for your business entity.
Otherwise, you run the risk of losing important legal documents through the mail or failing to meet deadlines, both of which could put you in hot water with the Texas Secretary of State.
Below is a list of the top registered agent services in Texas.
Go for ZenBusiness if you're looking for quality Texas registered agent services at an affordable price. They provide complete coverage of registered agent service with the option to upgrade at an additional cost.
ZenBusiness is well-known for its reasonable prices, transparency, user-friendly interface, and customer dedication. They have over 4,500 customer reviews online with an average rating of 4.7/5.
ZenBusiness Service Features
- Registered Agent Services Basic Package: Price starts at $99 without LLC formation.
- Registered Agent Service Worry-Free Compliance Package: Additional $50 per state. Includes annual filing report alerts, filing of legal documents, two free changes to filings, and coverage for any fees incurred if you fall out of compliance with the state.
- Texas LLC Formation: Basic package starts at $39, including a one-year Texas registered agent service and a free operating agreement template.
ZenBusiness Pros & Cons
- Oustanding customer feedback
- Affordable registered agent services
- Free registered agent services included with every package
- Low brand recognition
2. Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is a top-tier Texas registered agent service — they do everything from providing the street address you need to scanning and forwarding every document they receive on your behalf.
On top of that, they notify you of future compliance filing deadlines, ensuring that you file your annual report, franchise tax, and other tax documents on time. To assure quality service, they also have a US-based customer support team comprised of former attorneys, accountants, small company owners, and entrepreneurs.
Northwest Registered Agent Service Features
- Registered Agent Services: Charges $39 on the first year and renews annually at $125.
- Texas LLC Formation: Basic package starts at $125, which includes registered agent services, Privacy by Default®, Local Corporate Guides®, free mail forwarding/scanning, and same-day local document scanning.
Northwest Registered Agent Pros & Cons
- One year registered agent service with formation packages
- Personalized and excellent customer support
- 20+ years of experience in the industry
- Has volume discounts on registered agent service
- High price in comparison to the competition
If you're a startup or a small business owner, IncFile will make a lot of things easier for you, especially with your starting budget. IncFile is the only service company to offer free LLC formation services. Additionally, its Texas registered agent services are also free in the first year, which already includes 24/7 access to your account on the online dashboard, email forwarding, and customized notifications.
InFile's quality of service is backed by 13,500+ reviews of positive ratings online with only a few poor ones. They are well-known registered agents for their ease of use and excellent customer service.
IncFile Service Features
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $119 annual fee but offers a free registered agent service with formation packages.
- Texas LLC Formation: Free of charge, so you only have to pay for the $85 filing fee due to the Texas Secretary of State for the first year.
IncFile Pros and Cons
- Thousands of positive customer reviews
- Has a registered agent dashboard
- Features a virtual mailbox
- Free year registered agent services with formation packages
- Mediocre features on their registered agent service
- Expensive fee in the long run
- No volume discounts on registered agent service
LegalZoom is your best choice if you're looking for a premium Texas registered agent as well as a one-stop-shop for legal services. Because they have already established a significant presence in the registered agent services industry, you may anticipate their pricing to be higher than the rest of the competition.
Their registered agent service includes service features such as business data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage. The premium part of their offering is that they also provide you with up to $1 million worth of identity theft protection.
LegalZoom Service Features
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $299 annual fee and includes features such as business data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage. Premium feature offers up to $1 million worth of identity theft protection.
- Texas LLC Formation: Business formation services start at $79 + state fee.
LegalZoom Pros & Cons
- Has high customer volume
- Offers wide a variety of legal services
- Great brand power
- Mediocre customer reviews
- High prices
- No registered agent included with LLC formations
5. Rocket Lawyer
The Texas registered agent services offered by Rocket Lawyer represent only a small portion of the company's portfolio. As such, this registered agent is best suited for business owners or entrepreneurs seeking long-term legal benefits in addition to LLC incorporation.
They have previously served over 80,000 business entities and are known for providing high-quality legal assistance and advice.
Rocket Lawyer Service Features
- Registered Agent Services: Charges $149.99 annual fee for non-members. It also includes storing legal papers in an online document repository and submitting the Texas Certificate of Formation.
- Business Bundle Plan: Includes registered agent services for free for the first year.
Rocket Lawyer Pros & Cons
- Excellent customer support
- Subscription-based pricing
- Provides legal documents
- Provides support from legal experts
- Limited service features
- Credit card for a free trial
IncorporateMax is a Texas-based registered agent service that has been in the business formation industry since 2010. They offer Texas incorporation and registered agent services and serve all types of business entities, including LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits.
IncorporateMax is the least expensive Texas registered agent service provider on this list, but it also has the fewest reviews.
IncorporateMax Service Features
- Registered Agent Services: Charges a $49 annual fee and includes features such as a secure online account, annual report filing reminders, and monthly corporation status monitoring. Plus, a change-over process from a prior registered agent if you're transferring from a different registered agent.
- Texas LLC Formation: Charges a one-time $375 fee with a free registered agent service on the first year and renews annually at $49.
IncorporateMax Pros & Cons
- Competitive and affordable price
- Fixed registered agent fees
- Unlimited Client Support
- Very few consumer reviews online
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Registered Agent Service in Texas?
A common practice of entrepreneurs and startups is to act as their company's own registered agent since it reduces the costs of starting the company. However, we can't ignore the obvious benefits of using one, which makes the extra fees worthwhile.
Below are some of them:
- Convenience. Many entrepreneurs and business owners want to focus on scaling their business instead of dealing with administrative tasks. With the assistance of a registered agent service, they can do just that. The registered agent can handle the tedious paperwork and provide their client with an online account that securely saves all company files and documentation in one location.
- Saves money in the long run. A registered agent can help entrepreneurs with multi-state companies in submitting legal documents and paying state filing fees on time. This way, businesses avoid incurring additional expenses due to being late.
- Maintains privacy. With a registered agent service, you don't have to worry about exposing your personal address on the public record once you create your LLC. Instead, the registered agent service will provide the address, which means that all papers will be served to the registered office address, including if your business is sued.
- Highly dependable. Things can get complicated quickly if it involves matters of state or corporate law. You may benefit from the services of a registered agent with years of experience working with other business entities. Registered agents can also provide additional legal services that help you run your business well and keep you on the right side of the law.
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost in Texas?
In Texas, the cost of hiring a registered agent could range anywhere from $50 to $300 per year. Considering how much time and energy it will save you, it definitely is a small price to pay.
Besides assisting in filing the paperwork to create an LLC, most registered agent services also offer assistance in filing annual reports, monitoring due dates and renewals, and providing other legal services.
Who Can Be a Texas Registered Agent?
Like any other state, Texas allows any entity or individual to act as a registered agent for a Texas business. This is provided they are at least 18 years old, have a physical address in the state in which the LLC is created, and are available during normal business hours.
Here are four options you can select from when appointing a registered agent for your Texas:
Option 1: You can act as your LLC's Texas Registered Agent.
Option 2: Your LLC can be its own Registered Agent.
Option 3: You can designate a trusted friend or family member as your LLC's Registered Agent.
Option 4: You can use the services of a Texas Registered Agent Company, often known as a Commercial Registered Agent.
Is My Texas LLC Required to Have a Registered Agent?
Yes. Every business entity formed and registered with the Texas Secretary of State must appoint a registered agent. Without it, the Secretary of State will reject your LLC formation filing.
What Does a Texas Registered Agent Do?
A Texas registered agent acts as the point of contact for your business. This means they are responsible for receiving service of process, like legal notice of a lawsuit and legal documents from the Secretary of State on behalf of your LLC.
How Do I Choose a Registered Agent in Texas?
You can appoint yourself, a trusted friend, or a family member as a registered agent for your Texas LLC, provided that they are above 18 years old and has a physical address in Texas.
But, when it comes to selecting a registered agent service for your Texas business, there are several factors you must consider.
Below are some of them:
- Professional service
- Best value for money
- Registered agent service nationwide
- Service features
- Ease of use
Can a Real Estate Agent Form an LLC in Texas?
Yes, a real estate agent can own and form their own LLC. To do this, they must file the Certificate of Formation with the Texas Secretary of State, together with the $300 filing fee. Another thing to keep in mind is that if the entity is involved in real estate brokerage, it must have a separate license.
Can I Act as My Own Texas Registered Agent?
Yes. You have the option of naming yourself as the registered agent for your Texas business, which means you will be the person in charge of receiving all official documents on the company's behalf.
Can I Use the Registered Agent Office Address as My Business Address?
No. Your Texas registered agent is not intended to operate as your business address. Generally, it is only meant to receive official government documents relevant to your business.
Can I Use a PO Box for My LLC in Texas?
As an LLC member, you can use a PO Box as your address. Your registered agent, on the other hand, must have a physical address in Texas.
And the BEST Registered Agent Service in Texas is...
If you plan to expand your business, keep up with state offices and regulations while saving time and money, and keep your privacy, then choosing a professional registered agent service in Texas is highly recommended.
When looking for a Texas registered agent, you should constantly examine and review critical characteristics such as their service features, ease of use, customer feedback, and cost. We recommend ZenBusiness for affordable services and Northwest Registered Agent if you want a customer-centered service.
If you want the best value for your business, we recommend IncFile, and LegalZoom if your business needs other legal services. We recommend Rocket Lawyer if you prefer many package options and IncorporateMax for Texas-based and competitive registered agent service costs.
Whatever registered agent service you choose, we hope this guide has helped you assess your business needs and identify the most suitable one for your company.