Starting a business in Alaska requires compliance with various legal requirements, including designating a registered agent to receive legal documents on your behalf.
But with the bunch of different agent services available in Alaska, it can be daunting to research and choose one that's perfect for your business model.
My experience working with a variety of LLCs and registered agent services in Alaska has given me a broad perspective on the industry, and I am always striving to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices to better serve my clients.
So, together with my team, I have researched and tested top registered agent companies in Alaska and stacked them according to important service features like pricing, document turnaround, and customer service.
7 Best Registered Agent Services in Alaska (May 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest registered agent is an online LLC service provider that's been in business for over two decades.
Throughout their service, they've formed LLCs for small, large, and nonprofit organizations.
We found Northwest registered agent's website incredibly simple and straightforward to buy packages, upgrade, cancel, or access other LLC-related information.
We also liked the Northwest Registered Agent's free email scanning and forwarding services, which took care of all official emails for our company and safeguarded our data.
Northwest registered agent ranks top because they offer a wide range of services, including document filing, annual reports, EIN acquisition, and much more.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): You will be free from the first year of the registered agent service fee if you hire Northwest to form your LLC. It includes free mail forwarding, expert corporate guides, and privacy by default.
- Basic Plan ($39 + $250 State Fee): Includes articles of organization, an operating agreement, one-year free registered agent service, and standard & expedited processing speeds available. It can be used to form LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits.
- Full Service LLC Formation Plan ($225 + $250 State Fees): Same business day filing, a full year of registered agent service, free limited mail forwarding, an operating agreement, and a client account loaded with free forms and tools.
- Privacy by the default method
- Excellent customer service
- They have 2 decades of expertise
- Clear pricing structures
- Free registered/statutory agent services
2 - ZenBusinessWould you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness is one of our top-rated agent services in Alaska because they offer low-cost LLC formation packages.
They stood out to us at first, mainly because they offer 24/7 access to their offices via phone or email. Anytime we had issues and contacted their support, the team was eager to help.
If you're tight on money, we recommend choosing the ZenBusiness starter plan, with which you'll receive your operating agreement draft among other perks.
We also appreciate that all ZenBusiness programs include free accounting advice.
Another great feature we love about ZenBusiness is its online account management system. This system allows you to manage your registered agent documents and services in one place.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): $199 yearly renewal fee is a postponed payment that must be made after the company has been legally incorporated.
- Starter LLC Formation Package ($0 + $250 State Fee): Features the standard filing speed (ready in about 2 to 3 weeks), expense and deduction tracking, and a 100% accuracy guarantee for the best possible outcome.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($199 + $250 State Fee): This package has additional faster-expedited filling speed (4 to 6 days), worry-free compliance, and a guided operating agreement ready in about four to six days.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $250 State Fee): Offers additional fastest rush filling speed in just 1-2 days, domain name & email address, and customizable business website.
- The prices of their packages are very affordable
- Their chat and customer support are available beyond the working hours
- Outstanding customer support
- Offer a 60-day genuine refund policy
- Low brand power
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
IncFile registered agent has a solid reputation in the industry and is one of the most cost-effective services you can find.
They offer a broad range of services to help your business succeed, including state filing and document filing, corporate tax preparation, LLC formation service in Alaska, and business entity management and maintenance.
Unlike other services, with IncFile, we didn't have to sign a contract—we paid for one year, and we were good to go.
We really appreciated this perk and we believe other business owners would like that as well.
They also sent us updates on our annual report and provided an address for our business, which helped us avoid fines that come with missing a filing deadline.
- Registered Agent Service ($119): You can easily access your documents through an online dashboard. If you decide to start an LLC using IncFile, you will not pay for the registered agent in the first year. After that first year, the renewal will be $119 per year.
- Free Silver LLC Formation Package ($0 + $250 State Fees): Preparing & filing the Articles of Organization, unlimited name searches, free registered agent service for a year, and unlimited phone and email support.
- IncFile Gold LLC Formation Package ($199 + $250 State Fee): Silver package, plus IRS Form 2553, EIN business tax number, operating agreement, online access dashboard, banking resolution, lifetime company alerts, business tax consultation, and business banking account.
- Platinum LLC Formation Package ($299 + $250 State Fee): Gold Package, plus free business websites, business contract templates, domain names, and free next-day filing.
- An online dashboard that is very useful
- A complete year of free registered agent service
- Fast order processing
- Costs are transparent and clear
- Limited access to their registered agent support
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is another great registered agent service that offers all the necessary tools for you to create, manage, and maintain your business.
They have an array of service features, including incorporation and renewal services, so that you can get all of your paperwork taken care of in one place.
Based on our firsthand experience, we can say that the entire registration process was really easy and straightforward.
We recommend Rocket Lawyer because they offer contract review services to help you make sure your contracts are up-to-date and in line with legal regulations.
- Registered Agent Service ($149.99 for non-members): Save 25% if you sign up for a premium registered agent plan.
- LLC Formation Package ($99.99 + $250 State Fee): With a $39.99 per month membership, you'll get it for free. Members may get free legal paperwork, free LLC creation, attorney services, and a 25% discount on registered agent services.
- Customer service is available 24/7
- Offer free trial
- Easy to use for novice entrepreneurs
- The service is not available in all states
- Expensive for non-subscribers
5 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance is well-known for its excellent customer service.
They are staffed with qualified individuals that can assist you with any issue that may arise, unlike many rivals who outsource their assistance to third-party contact centers.
They specialize in small businesses and nonprofits and offer both low-cost registered agents in Alaska and premium services.
Their prices compete with other Alaska registered agent services and offer first-time clients discounts.
What we love about Harbor Compliance is that they never auto-bill you or store your payment card information.
They just invoice you annually, so there are no unexpected charges to your account, unlike other registered agent services.
- Registered Agent Service (starts at $88 to $99): Yearly rates range from $89 to $99 per state, with no other expenses. If you pay for registered agent services in advance for more than two years, you can save 5-10%.
- Formation Package ($99 + $250 State Fee): Includes checking the name availability for you, and preparing and filing your articles of organization with the state.
- Software-based compliance solutions
- Prompt customer support
- Free registered agent service
- No physical office or storefront for walk-ins
- Does not provide refunds
6 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is one of the most popular Alaska registered agent services and for a good reason.
They offer a full suite of business formation services, including incorporation, trademark filing, and protection of your company's domain name.
Their best registered agent service is no exception: it comes with all the benefits of online access to your accounts and documents, as well as an office address in Anchorage so that you can receive legal mail on behalf of your business entity.
Based on my personal experience using LegalZoom as my registered agent in Alaska, I can attest to the quality and reliability of their services.
They offer a full suite of business formation services that will cover all of your business needs.
- Registered Agent Service ($299): If you wish to create your LLC, the first year will cost $249. Following that, renewal would cost $299. No fees until your docs are submitted to the state. You'll get alerts on important emails, limitless cloud storage, a Compliance Calendar, and 1 million dollars worth of identity theft protection.
- Basic LLC Formation Package ($0 + $250 State Fee): The package includes a name search, a WIX-powered website, and a complete digital LLC welcome packet.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($249 + $250 State Fee): The package comes with tax savings and insurance consultation, a detailed guide on business licensing, an operating agreement, an EIN, and all Basic package features.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $250 State Fee): The Premium package includes all Pro features and a hands-on guide from an experienced business attorney. You'll also enjoy countless 30-minute consultations on legal topics and changes made to your LLC documentation within 90 days of the initial subscription.
- VIP processing is included in several LLC plans
- Satisfaction Guarantee for 60 days
- Professional legal assistance
- Not operational in all states
- Registered agent package is expensive
7 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings is a premium registered agent service that offers all the forms, documents, and other requirements needed to start an LLC in Alaska.
This includes creating a physical street address and a registered agent appointment form and filing it with the Alaska Secretary of State's office.
We appreciate Swyft Filings assured compliance because of their automated alerts.
Swyft Filings will also renew your annual registration on an automatic basis, relieving you of the stress that can come with filing deadlines.
We advocate for them because they also provide free templates to help you get started with your business plan and incorporation documents.
- Registered Agent Service ($99 every 3 months): Quarterly subscription.
- The Basic Package ($0 + $250 State Fee): Filling out the articles of incorporation to create an LLC.
- The Standard Package ($199 + $250 State Fee): The Basic Package, plus enables you to receive a Federal Tax ID (EIN) and the majority of the documentation required to launch your firm (operating agreement, banking resolution, and organizational minutes).
- Premium Package ($299 + $250 State Fee): All basic and standard services, as well as certain extras, such as free domain and company website hosting, a tailored digital corporate kit, and FedEx delivery of your approved articles with a tracking number.
- Free legal advice and assistance
- 24/7 customer support
- Flexible service options are available
- No central physical address location in Alaska
What Are The Benefits Of Working With A Registered Agent Service In Alaska?
The benefits of working with a registered agent in Alaska include:
1. Free From Non-Compliance Risks
Registered agent services can help you avoid the possibility of noncompliance with state law by ensuring that you have an active physical office address and that your business is properly registered with the Alaska state government.
This is especially important if you plan on doing business in multiple states or across borders.
A registered agent in Alaska provides you with complete freedom from having to deal with administrative tasks such as maintaining an active physical office address, filing annual reports, and paying franchise taxes.
3. Privacy in Businesses
By using the services of a registered agent, you can maintain the privacy and confidentiality of your business information .
4. Documents Organization
A registered agent will organize all your documents, which will be very helpful when you want to open new businesses or need to make changes to current ones.
5. One Alaska Registered Agent for Multiple Jurisdictions
An Alaska registered agent can provide services for multiple states simultaneously, making it easier for business entities that operate in multiple states with different laws and regulations.
If you aren't satisfied with your current registered agent, you can learn easily how to change a registered agent in Alaska.
How Much Does A Registered Agent Service Cost In Alaska?
A registered agent service in Alabama costs between $89 to $299. The price depends on your state and your chosen registered agent service provider.
If you opt to designate someone else to serve as your registered agent, it is best to keep in consideration the cost of the registered agent when estimating how much an LLC would cost in Alaska.
What Are The Requirements For Alaska Registered Agents?
The requirements for Alaska registered agents include the following:
- The Alaska registered agent must be either a person who is legally residing in the state or a business that provides registered agent services and mailing addresses there.
- They have to be a registered corporation in Alaska with a real address
- The Alaska registered agent must hold a valid license in order to handle pertinent documents during regular business hours.
- To be recognized as a registered agent in Alaska, a candidate must be of 18 years or older
Our Selection Process
Through our review and testing, we only selected national registered agent services that ticked all the right boxes in terms of price, turnaround, customer service, and service features.
We select a registered agent service with good value for your money.
Some companies will charge more for a few services but include more upsells and expensive add-ons.
We compared prices and services before rounding up these best agent services in Alaska.
2. Customer Support
If you have questions or concerns, you should be able to reach your Alaska registered agent's customer support team quickly and easily.
So, we have included it in our selection process and stacked only agent services with a responsive customer support team.
3. Turnaround Time
Another thing we kept in mind when choosing a registered agent is turnaround time.
We know that time is significant when it comes to running LLCs per state laws.
That's why we selected a registered agent service company that values efficiency and gets everything done as soon as possible.
4. Service Features
We have cross-checked all the Alaska registered agent service features in each company and selected those with splendid features in their packages.
Service features are essential when setting up a business, and we went with services that offer more features per package.
Do I Need A Registered Agent In Alaska?
Yes, you need a registered agent in Alaska per state law. If you don't have your own registered agent, then the State of Alaska will assign one for you.
Do I Use A Registered Agent Before Or After Launching My Alaska Company?
You use a registered agent before launching your Alaska company. This way, they can help you get started on the right foot by filing all necessary paperwork and ensuring that your business name is available in the state.
What Is A Registered Agent's Main Role In Alaska?
A registered agent’s main role In Alaska is to receive and process legal papers on behalf of your company. This includes things like service of process, notices from regulatory agencies, or any other important legal documents sent to your business address.
The Best Registered Agent in Alaska
Selecting the appropriate registered agent business, such as Northwest Registered Agent, is a critical step towards establishing your business's compliance and maintaining good standing with Alaska state laws.
Northwest Registered Agent's online incorporation services are an excellent choice for a high-quality registered agent service for any business entity in Alaska.
We got access to their wide range of services, including expedited document filing, operating agreement templates, annual reports, and EIN acquisition.
Although the registered agent industry is very cutthroat, Northwest Registered Agent's service ranks top in terms of its excellent value, faster delivery, outstanding customer support, and solid client data privacy.
Our #1 Recommendation
Northwest Registered Agent
- Privacy by the default method
- Excellent customer service
- They have 2 decades of expertise
- Clear pricing structures
- Free registered/statutory agent services
- Get the BEST PRICE until the end of May