If you're an LLC or company owner in Rhode Island, you need to hire a registered agent who'll receive legal documents from the state on your behalf.
We've personally tested different services across Rhode Island, so you don't have to.
To find the best registered agent service we teamed up with legal experts and selected the best based on their offer, turnaround time, and customer review.
Our findings show that these are some of the best services that you should hire to help you run your business.
Top 7 Best Registered Agents in Rhode Island (September 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent Service (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend Northwest Registered Agent Service?
Northwest Registered Agent is among the most well-known firms in the agent services sector; the company has a solid history of providing high-quality services and skilled customer relations.
Our team of legal experts tried their registered agent services and were impressed with how much they care about keeping personal information safe and private.
They never sell data to a third party, which brought that sense of security. Their online portal is also well-secured and has access to some services.
If you come across any issues, on their platform, their knowledgeable agents will assist you.
They may be expensive if you are on a tight budget, but their features, such as data safety and great customer support, and worth the investment.
- Registered Agent Service ($125): If you hire Northwest Registered Agent Services to organize your LLC, you won't have to pay a price for the Rhode Island registered agent service for the first year. This service will provide free mail forwarding, access to experienced business advisors, and default confidentiality protections for its clients.
- Basic Plan ($39+ $156 State Fee): Basic Plan includes articles of organization and operating agreement. This plan offers standard and expedited processing speeds that work both for corporations and nonprofits.
- Full Service LLC Formation Plan ($225 + $156 State Fee): Full Service Plan contains the following components: filing on the same business day, a full year of registered agent service, free limited mail forwarding, an operational agreement, and a client account filled with free forms and resources.
- They do not sell client data
- Great customer support
- Strong reputation
- Clear fees
- A free one-year statutory agent service in their creation bundle
- Not the most budget-friendly registered agent service available
2 - ZenBusinessWould you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness registered agent service provides professional formation services in Rhode Island, expert assistance, tailored services, and a dashboard that may be customized.
We liked that ZenBusiness is committed to assisting small business entity owners in starting, running, and growing a successful firm.
Their user-friendly website was full of resourceful information that helped us understand the legal side of running and managing our business.
They offer 24/7 access to their offices via phone or email, which is handy when there is a burning question about their registered agent services.
We recommend their Starter Plan for those with a fixed budget, which offers an operating agreement draft.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): ZenBusiness provides direct access to a variety of online documents, in addition to formation services, professional support, and hands-on registered agent service. ZenBusiness also allows you to act as your own registered agent.
- ZenBusiness Starter Plan ($0 + $156 State Fee): The filing speed in this plan is standard (2 to 3 weeks). This plan will also cover deduction tracking while offering a 100% accuracy guarantee, and optional worry-free compliance. If you opt for this feature, you will can be sure that you will meet the deadlines for you state-requires annual report. First year this feature is free, after which you can renew it for $199 per year.
- ZenBusiness Pro Plan ($199 + $156 State Fee): Pro Plan offers expedited filing, 1 to 2 business days, and guided operating agreement to help you with structure and legal protection. Other perks included in this package are an EIN, free trial of banking and bank account for first month and bookkeeping software that can help you with financial management and even send invoices to make payment faster.
- ZenBusiness Premium Plan ($349 + $156 State Fee): This plan offers everything from the Pro plan and adds business document templates for more simplified paperwork. Also, website builder here will be free one month, then $15 per month. For that investment you can expect to get hundreds of different website templates, advanced SEO tools, and overall customizable site that is mobile-friendly. For more confident digital presence, you will get a business domain and professional email.
- Inexpensive plans for Rhode Island registered agents
- Extended client support hours
- Great customer feedback for registered agents
- Offers a great refund policy
- Lacks brand familiarity
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
Incfile is a web-based registered agent service that assists owners of small businesses in forming business organizations, filing compliance paperwork, and filing taxes.
Their best registered agent service is designed for the contracting state in which your business entity runs.
From our experience, they are one of the top registered agent services in Rhode Island, but their customer support is a bit limited.
They are available only during the week, and extended support would be beneficial for moments of crisis.
They gave us great free LLC creation help, which we highly suggest for clients seeking to form an LLC.
- Registered Agent Service ($119/year): When you sign up for the Rhode Island registered agent service as part of an LLC formation package, the first year of service is provided at no cost to you; however, the renewal fee after the first year is $119 per year.
- Silver Plan ($0 + $156 State Fee): Silver Package consists of drafting and submitting the articles of organization, including unlimited name searches, and providing free registered agent service for a whole year. This package also offers limitless assistance through phone and email.
- Gold Plan ($199 + $156 State Fee): Gold Package includes all of the components found in the Silver Package in addition to the following: an EIN Business Tax Number, and an IRS Form 2553. To keep your financial rules and regulations in order, Gold Package offers an operating agreement and banking resolution. Lifetime company alerts are designed to help you stick to your deadlines, while an online dashboard enables easy access to all your documents.
- Platinum Plan ($299 + $156 State Fee): Platinum Package has all of the components included in the Gold Package in addition to business contract templates, free filing the next business day, and a domain name and business email.
- Strong user online interface
- All formation packages have a free statutory agent service
- Rapid turnaround time in ordering
- There are no hidden charges for their Rhode Island registered agents
- Support services are not extended
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is a top market player in legal and registered agent services.
While it is not the cheapest choice in the registered agent industry, LegalZoom provided us, as their clients, with verified dependability, product variety, and excellent customer service.
With everything in view, LegalZoom may be the ideal registered agent choice for people seeking dependability and expertise from an industry leader for entrepreneurship development and online legal services.
- Registered Agent Service ($299): Their LLC formation service has an initial cost of $249 for the first year, followed by a renewal fee of $299. The available features include email alerts, a Compliance Calendar, unlimited online storage, and protection worth up to one million dollars against impersonation theft.
- Basic LLC Formation Package ($0 + $156 State Fee): The features include a comprehensive digital welcome packet for your LLC along with the necessary articles of organization. The package also includes an in-depth name search feature and a customizable website that can be tailored to your specific needs.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($249 + $156 State Fee): The plan encompasses all the elements of the Basic package, along with an operating agreement, an EIN, and significant advisory sessions regarding insurance and taxes. Furthermore, you'll receive a meticulous guide on acquiring a business license.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $156 State Fee): The plan offers all components in the Pro package and a knowledgeable guide from a distinguished business attorney. Furthermore, any revisions to your formation documents will be updated accordingly and you'll receive limitless 30-minute consultations with a legal attorney for the initial 90 days of your subscription.
- Variety of legal services and goods
- Experts in forming a professional liability company
- Offers one of the most outstanding return policies in the industry
- Costs more than other business formation options
- Lack of transparency
5 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is a legal technology startup that provides small businesses with low-cost legal papers, high-quality assistance, and other registered agent services.
The organization takes pride in providing its Rhode Island customers with almost any legal support they require, whether it is business creation, generator legal assistance, or LLC registered agent.
As your Rhode Island registered agent, Rocket Lawyer will not only organize your documents and remind you of deadlines, but it will also serve as your physical address.
We hired them to form an LLC and we were guided through every step. In our experience, you will get ongoing support, as they have representatives assigned to each client account.
Their professional support answered every one of our questions during normal business hours.
- Registered Agent Services package ($149.99): This registered agent service renews yearly for the same fee, and if you have a membership, you will get a discount of 25% off the regular price.
- Standard LLC Formation Plan ($99.99 + $156 State Fee / Free with $39.99 per month membership): If you decide to become a member of Rhode Island, you will be eligible to get free legal papers, free services from an attorney, free assistance with the establishment of an LLC, and a discount of 25% on registered agent services.
- One year of Rhode Island registered agent service
- Document protection
- Legal services for one year
- More pricey in comparison to competitors
- Services limited to specific states
6 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings is a low-cost entrepreneurship development service with some of the industry's shortest response times.
Although your documents and information are published on their online dashboard, you can rest assured that your privacy is protected.
Aside from your registered agent, you are the only one who has access to them. No third party may use the information they collect through their First Party Cookies.
They will submit the necessary paperwork to state authorities on your behalf as your registered agent.
We liked their organization because we received swift responses to all of our questions.
Excessive upselling was the largest drawback, but reasonable turnaround times and flexible pricing made that irrelevant.
- Registered agent service ($99): A salesperson said that the fee of the Rhode Island registered agent service is $99 every three months and that this would be an ongoing membership that is paid quarterly.
- Basic Plan ($0 + $156 State Fee): Your company will be able to operate legally in all 50 states with the help of the Basic Rhode Island Package, which also includes a free domain name and a tax consultation for your firm worth $300.
- Standard Plan ($199 + $156 State Fee): Standard Plan gives you everything that's included in the Basic Rhode Island Package, as well as an extra Federal Tax ID (EIN) and the majority of the documentation you'll need to get your firm off the ground (operating agreement, banking resolution, and organizational minutes).
- Premium Plan ($299 + $156 State Fee): Premium Plan includes all of the basic and standard services as well as additional ones. These additional services include free eDelivery of state documents (documents are uploaded to the account for ease of access), a customized digital LLC kit, and free business website and web hosting services.
- The application procedure may be finished in as little as 10 minutes
- Unlimited access to customer assistance
- No hidden registered agent costs
- Absences of free Registered Agent Service
- Lacks transparency
7 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance is a great agent service if you want great quality for your investment.
They have experts ready to assist with any issues. From our experience, they will give their best to solve problems without your personal assistance.
We were impressed with their commitment to finding affordable services that will suit us the best.
They also offer first-time clients discounts for registered agent services and they will only invoice you annually.
- Registered Agent Service ($89-$99): This registered agent service will cost between $89 and $99 yearly and does not include any extra fees. Nevertheless, if you prepay for registered agent services for more than two years, you may get a discount of between 5 and 10 percent.
- Formation Plan ($99 + $156 State Fee): Formation Plan provides you with the opportunity to check on the availability of a company name, as well as to prepare and file your articles of organization with the state.
- Positive customer evaluation for their registered agent personnel
- Fair pricing-service balance
- Enables business owners to test software without a charge
- Outdated website
- There is no refund option
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Professional Registered Agent Service in Rhode Island?
The benefits of working with a registered agent service in Rhode Island include the following:
Only the registered agents' addresses will be public, not your personal or business address. This means all legal documents like service of process or lawsuits will be sent to the registered office address.
2. Fewer State Penalties
Rhode Island registered agent service prevents the possibility of non-compliance hence your company will greatly avoid state penalties.
3. Timely Compliance Alerts
A professional Rhode Island statutory agent will provide you with frequent compliance reminders while you just concentrate on expanding your firm.
4. Schedule Flexibility
By using a registered agent service, you may maintain a flexible schedule. The registered agent is always available during normal business hours to receive all essential files and handle compliance on your behalf.
How Much Does a Statutory Agent Service Cost in Rhode Island?
A statutory agent service in Rhode Island costs between $99 and $349.
This amount varies depending on the statutory agent service you choose and the plans they offer.
What Are the Requirements for a Rhode Island Registered Agent?
The requirements for a Rhode Island registered agent include the following:
- Keep a registered physical office in Rhode Island
- Keep a Rhode Island physical address
- Maintain year-round normal business hours
- Acknowledge process service on clients' behalf
- Timely delivery of process and business documents to clients
If you aren't satisfied with your current registered agent, you can easily learn how to change a registered agent in Rhode Island.
Our Selection Process
When reviewing and ranking the registered agent services in Rhode Island, we did so based on several strict criteria.
We were also assisted by a team of legal advisors and licensed attorneys, using their expertise to ensure our registered agent scores were correct.
The first criterion we used was the price of each registered agent service in Rhode Island, both as base cost and terms of special offers.
Our goal is to ensure each client gets as much value for their money as possible.
When scoring registered agent companies in this area, we made sure to prioritize companies with long-standing business practices and a proven track record.
We strive to provide high-quality registered agent services in Rhode Island, capable of handling any task given to them.
3. Customer Support
We scored each registered agent in Rhode Island based on how long it took their customer service to respond to our queries and problems and how much time they needed to resolve them.
We did this so that our clients would have their questions answered as quickly and efficiently as possible.
4. Turnaround time
Finally, we have gone through the entire ordering process with each of the registered agent companies on the list to find out how quickly they would handle our request.
We then noted these times and ranked them against each other for the benefit of our clients.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Rhode Island?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Rhode Island and many other states.
What Does a Rhode Island Registered Agent Do?
A Rhode Island registered agent receives papers on behalf of the firm and forwards them to the relevant party inside the company.
How Do I Change My Rhode Island Registered Agent?
To change your Rhode Island registered agent, you must submit a Statement of Change with the Rhode Island Secretary of State.
The Most Adept Registered Agent in Rhode Island is...
After evaluating and rating different LLC options, we recommend Northwest Registered Agent as one of the best registered agent services in Rhode Island.
We particularly liked how they safeguarded our company's sensitive information, and their in-house helpdesk team was always available to solve our issues.
Northwest Registered Agent may be ideal if you operate a startup because they offer faster formation and filing, easier EIN/TIN acquisition, and account management.
Additionally, if you value your confidentiality and do not want your information to display on public documents, Northwest registered agent has a solid data privacy system that you can rely on.