How Long Does It Take To Form An LLC In Wisconsin? (Guide)
If you're considering forming a limited liability company in Wisconsin, you're likely wondering how long the process will take. Several factors can affect the timeline, such as the complexity of your business structure and the efficiency of your filing process.
As an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions and a degree holder in tax law, I have formed several LLCs in Wisconsin and can provide accurate information on the processing durations and the filing options available.
Today, we'll share how long it takes to form an LLC in Wisconsin and provide tips to expedite the process and avoid common mistakes.
Furthermore, consider the assistance of Wisconsin's professional LLC formation services, which can manage the LLC formation for you.
- It takes 5-7 business days to form an LLC in Wisconsin by mail and up to 1 business day if you file online.
- The approval time for an LLC in Wisconsin can be influenced by several factors, including the complexity of the business structure, the efficiency of the filing process, and the volume of filings received by the Secretary of State.
- According to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DIF) the state of Wisconsin offers expedited service for mail and in-person applications. Your documents are processed within 1 business day for an additional $25 fee.
- Having formed an LLC in Wisconsin, I can attest that it takes only 1 day if you file online as long as all your documents and requirements are in order.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Wisconsin?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Wisconsin is by applying online or filing by mail or in person using the expedited service.
Online submissions are immediately approved or may take 1 business day to be reviewed and processed.
If you opted for expedited service, the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions offers a 1 business day expedited processing option for an additional fee .
LLC Processing Time in Wisconsin
The LLC processing time is the time the Secretary of State takes to evaluate and approve your Articles of Incorporation after receipt.
Wisconsin allows its limited liability company owners to file their formation papers online, by mail, and in person.
1. Expedited Wisconsin LLC Processing Time by Mail and In Person (1 business day + $25)
According to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DIF) the state of Wisconsin offers expedited service for mail and in-person applications. Your documents are processed within 1 business day for an additional $25 fee.
That's why I always avail of the accelerated service in-person for clients who want to start their businesses as soon as possible.
Remember that expedited filing is not available for all types of LLC applications.
2. Non-Expedited Wisconsin LLC Processing Time By Mail (5-7 business days)
The processing time for mail filings for forming an LLC in Wisconsin is typically 5 to 7 business days.
I was able to download the necessary forms from the DFI website and mailed them to this address, along with a state filing fee of $170 (check or money order):
Department of Financial Institutions
Div. of Corporate & Consumer Services
P.O. Box 93348
Madison WI, 53293-0348
3. Wisconsin LLC Processing Time Online (Immediate approval or 1 business day)
Online processing for Wisconsin LLCs is immediately approved or may take 1 business day to complete. You can file your application via the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) website.
I prefer filing online because it's more convenient and it has a faster turnaround period.
When preparing to form an LLC, you should take a few essential steps first. That way, the process of filing paperwork and paying fees can go as smoothly as possible. - Jon Morgan, CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Wisconsin LLCs
Although there’s an established approval time set by the Wisconsin Secretary of State, several factors can delay the processing period. These include the following:
- Workload volume: The processing time may be prolonged due to the high filings received by the Secretary of State.
- Documentation issues: If your application requires additional review or the formation documents contain incomplete and inaccurate data, you would need to correct the mistake and refile the paperwork.
- Weekends and holidays: The agency only reviews applications during regular business hours. That said, I advise clients to file after the weekend or holiday.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Wisconsin LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Wisconsin LLC formation during the processing period by visiting the One Stop Business Portal’s dashboard.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Wisconsin?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Wisconsin. The state reviews the filings in the order they were received.