Forming an LLC in Missouri offers excellent perks like limited profit-sharing restrictions and flexible tax obligations.
While you and your LLC members may wish to access these advantages quicker, it's crucial to understand how long it takes the Secretary of State to receive, examine, and approve your LLC registration forms in Missouri.
Working with our qualified LLC experts who have more than sixteen years of experience in the field, we examined the Missouri SOS website to determine all LLC processing alternatives and response times available.
Here's a summary of everything you need to know.
- Forming an LLC in Missouri takes 15-20 business days via mail.
- Online LLC filing in Missouri is approved almost immediately after payment is confirmed.
- The Missouri Department doesn't offer any expedited services for business filings.
How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Missouri?
It takes 15-20 business days to form an LLC in Missouri, including the mailing time.
This is the standard processing for mail orders, and there's no expedited service for this method.
However, the Missouri Secretary of State also offers other filing methods with faster processing.
You can file your LLC articles of organization online on the Corporations Division website or in person at the physical SOS office.
We'll see how long does it take to start an LLC for these filing methods further down.
Missouri LLC Processing Time
Here's a detailed description of the processing times for each LLC filing method in Missouri.
1. Online Filings
You can register your Missouri LLC online by filing your articles of organization on the SOS Corporations Division website.
Click "Business Services" on the SOS website and select "Online Business Services. "
Create a user account using your email and password, then log in.
On the home tab, navigate to "LLC Filings" and select "Create LLC." Follow the commands therein, fill out the necessary details of your business, and pay the $50 state fees.
All processing fees for online filing are made via an electronic check or a credit card (Visa, American Express, Mastercard, or Discover).
Online Missouri LLC filing is approved immediately once payment is confirmed, but sometimes it can take up to 24 hours.
2. Mail Filings
Mail LLC filing is another method to file your articles of organization - a document that contains the LLC's details and the business's purpose .
These registration documents are available online on the SOS website as PDFs.
Once you access the forms, download them and complete your details correctly.
Mail filing in Missouri takes 15-20 business days to be approved.
Unfortunately, this is the standard processing time for paper filings, and the SOS doesn't offer expedited shipping.
Before you submit any documents to the Corporation Division, ensure :
- All the official parties have signed under the signature line.
- You've attached the proper filing fee amount ($105).
- You've included the right LLC name and address details.
Submit your domestic or foreign LLC mail filings to this address:
Missouri Secretary of State
600 W Main St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
3. In-person Filings
You can take your articles of organization in person to the Missouri physical office.
The SOS takes a few hours to process your LLC registration paperwork while you wait.
To avoid inconveniences during evaluation, ensure you provide the correct business details on the registration forms, and pay the correct Missouri LLC cost.
Below is the physical street address for in-person submissions:
600 W Main St.
Missouri State Information Center, Room 322
Jefferson City, MO 65101
4. Expedited Filings
Expedited processing is an excellent option for domestic and foreign LLC owners to receive their approved registration documents faster.
However, as of the time of writing, the SOS doesn't offer expedited services for Missouri LLCs.
Steps To Start an LLC in Missouri
Follow these eight steps to start an LLC in Missouri.
- Step 1: Look up for an LLC in Missouri for your limited liability company and choose an available name for your LLC.
- Step 2: Name your own registered agent service. A Missouri registered agent is an individual or business entity authorized to handle state and federal legal papers and notices on behalf of your Missouri LLC or sole proprietorship.
- Step 3: Prepare and file your Missouri LLC articles of organization with the SOS and pay the filing fee. Once the documents are approved, you can officially launch your LLC and conduct business in Missouri.
- Step 4: Draft a Missouri LLC operating agreement to describe your business structure, member responsibilities, and the LLC management policies.
- Step 5: Apply for an Employer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service. An EIN is necessary to file federal and state taxes, obtain business insurance, hire employees, and open a business bank account.
- Step 6: Open a business bank account to keep business funds from personal assets.
- Step 7: Register your business structure with the Missouri Department of Revenue to collect sales tax and file tax reports.
- Step 8: Apply for state or local LLC business licenses from the Missouri Business Portal.
What's the Fastest Way To Get an LLC in Missouri?
The fastest way to get an LLC in Missouri is to file your articles of organization online. Online LLC filing takes a few minutes to be approved once your payment is confirmed. However, in some instances, the processing can take up to 24 hours.
How Long Is an LLC Good for in Missouri?
An LLC is good for one year in Missouri. LLC owners in Missouri must renew their LLCs every year by filing an annual report with the Secretary of State.
Should You Hire an LLC Service in Missouri?
Forming an LLC in Missouri has excellent benefits, but the formation process may be challenging for upcoming entrepreneurs.
This is why using the best Missouri LLC formation services is a smart move if you are a startup entity in the state of Missouri.
While working with a professional LLC formation service will not launch your Missouri LLC faster, it’ll help you navigate the complicated process of legal paper filing and handle every step according to state laws.
In addition to smooth LLC filing, you get free registered agent services for a year and prompt customer care to respond to all your legal issues throughout your Missouri LLC term.