How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Missouri (The Guide)
Before you start a business, it's crucial to understand how long it takes the Secretary of State to receive, examine, and approve your LLC registration forms in Missouri.
Since I’m a business consultant for over a decade, I helped several clients form LLCs in the state.
Working with our qualified LLC experts in Missouri, we examined the SOS website to determine all LLC processing alternatives and response times available.
Here's a summary of everything you need to know.
- It takes an average 15 to 20 business days to form an LLC in Missouri by mail and up to 24 hours if you filed online.
- The state of Missouri doesn’t offer expedited service, since online submissions already have faster approval time.
- Presently, the processing time takes longer to approve because the state has moved to a new filing platform.
- To prevent potential delays, I always advise clients to review all data and submit the required formation documents.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Missouri?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Missouri is by filing online, which takes up to 24 hours to be approved depending on the volume of applications.
To register your LLC online, file the articles of organization on the SOS Corporations Division website. While helping my client with online registration, I made sure that they fill out the necessary details of their business, and pay the $50 state fees.
All processing fees for online filing are made via an electronic check or a credit card (Visa, American Express, Mastercard, or Discover).
LLC Processing Time in Missouri
The LLC processing time in Missouri depends on the method of filing.
Currently, the state takes longer to approve applications because they’ve recently upgraded their filing system. Formation documents are processed in the order they were received.
Here's a detailed description of the standard processing times for each LLC filing method in Missouri.
1. Expedited Missouri LLC Processing Time By Mail
As of the moment, the Secretary of State doesn’t offer expedited service.
2. Non-Expedited Missouri LLC Processing Time By Mail
Mail filing in Missouri takes 15-20 business days to be approved.This is the standard processing time for paper filings, since the SOS doesn't offer expedited shipping.
Before submitting any documents to the Corporation Division, I tell my clients to ensure :
- All the official parties have signed under the signature line.
- You've attached the proper filing fee amount ($105).
- You've included the right LLC name and address details.
Submit your domestic or foreign LLC mail filings to this address:
Missouri Secretary of State
600 W Main St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
3. Missouri LLC Processing Time Online
Online Missouri LLC filing is approved immediately once payment is confirmed, but sometimes it can take up to 24 hours.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Missouri LLCs
There are several factors that may prolong the processing time of your LLC. These are the following:
- Filing method: Mail filings may take longer to approve than online submissions because you have to factor in the transit time, as well as the state’s processing period.
- Workload volume: The state reviews and approves formation documents in the order they are received. High volume of applications prolong the processing time.
- Document issues: LLC formation papers with inaccurate and incomplete information have to be corrected and refiled.
Do I Need a Business License for My LLC in Missouri?
You don’t need a business license for your LLC in Missouri. However, the state may require you to apply for certain permits and licenses for your business to be operational.
How Long Is an LLC Good for in Missouri?
An LLC is good for one year in Missouri. LLC owners in Missouri must renew their LLCs every year by filing an annual report with the Secretary of State.
Missouri LLC Processing times
The processing time for Missouri LLCs vary depending on the filing method. You can choose to register online or send your application in the mail.
To help you stay compliant with state business laws, you can hire the best Missouri LLC formation services. They’ll help you with the formation process and handle the filings on your behalf.