Finding the best LLC service in Hawaii can save you from formation paperwork errors, unfulfilled requirements, and missed deadlines.
For the purposes of this article, we reviewed and ranked the industry-leading Hawaii LLC services based on different criteria, such as their customer support, pricing, features, and turnaround time.
We also discussed their formation service features in-depth and how they compare to the other service providers on the list. All this information should assist you in making the best choice for your business.
4 Best LLC Services in Hawaii (November 2022)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
ZenBusiness is a relatively new business formation service provider that has been in operation since 2015.
While this is true, ZenBusiness is progressively climbing the ladder among small business owners in Hawaii and around the US, thanks to its extensive choice of LLC formation packages that match any business's needs and budget.
Not only that, but they make every effort to improve their systems and keep them simple, intuitive, and simple to use.
ZenBusiness has already assisted over 300,000 individuals and entities to start their own businesses and has received 4.35/5 and 4.7/5 customer ratings from BBB and Trustpilot, respectively. In 2019, they were granted BBB accreditation.
- Starter Formation Package ($49): LLC formation, LLC name search, worry-free compliance, and online dashboard. Free features include registered agent service, accounting consultation, automatic expense tracking, and tax deduction tagging.
- Pro package ($199): EIN registration, VIP processing, handling of annual report filings, and two yearly amendments.
- Premium package ($299): Custom website-building tools and rush filing option.
- Registered Agent Services: Free in the first year with all three LLC formation packages, then renews annually for $119 or $99 when purchased separately. Provides the physical address in the public record and a registered agent available to receive legal documents during normal business hours.
- A large assortment of formation packages
- Reasonable pricing
- Worry-free compliance
- Quick turnaround time
- A lot of positive customer feedback
- Low brand awareness
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is a well-established business formation service based in Washington and has been in operation for over 20 years.
Northwest has become one of the best Hawaii LLC services known for its customer-centric LLC formation process.
They operate with a highly competent support team to assist you and give solutions to any complicated or straightforward concerns through each stage of the formation process.
Northwest Registered Agent also has outstanding customer reviews on BBB, despite having no accreditation from the platform, unlike ZenBusiness.
Since its operation, Northwest has opened offices in all other 50 states and has serviced over two million businesses. They are actively working with up to 200 new LLCs and corporations every day.
- Base Formation Package ($39): LLC formation process paperwork, mail forwarding, business address, Privacy by Default, Corporate Guides, and 1-year free registered agent.
- Deluxe Package ($179): Processing of Employer Identification Number (EIN) and a free LLC operating agreement.
- Registered Agent Services: Free in the first year with LLC formation packages, then renews annually for $125. Includes representation services and a physical address available during regular business hours to accept service of process.
- Over 20 years of industry experience
- High customer data privacy standards
- No hidden charges on their services
- Packages include 1-year registered agent services
- High price points
3 - IncFile
IncFile is a Texas-based company that began providing free LLC formation (not including state fees) and registered agent services in 2004.
According to its website, IncFile has already worked with over 500,000 people, with 38,000 customer reviews and a 4.8/5 overall star rating.
IncFile is a reputable service provider with an easy-to-use LLC formation service available in all 50 states. The primary drawback we see with their services is their poor customer support.
It took a few phone calls to reach their representative during one of our trials of their service. Nonetheless, Incfile customer service was professional, competent, and responsive.
- Free Silver Package ($0 in the first year): Filing of Hawaii LLC formation documents, lifetime company compliance alerts, and one-year free registered agent service.
- Incfile Gold ($149): Free Silver Package features plus preparation of the operating agreement, EIN registration, and banking resolution.
- Platinum Package ($249): IncFile Gold features plus free business website and domain name, priority expedited filing, and business contract templates.
- Registered Agent Services: Free registered agent service in Hawaii in the first year. After that, it costs $119 per year. Provides physical street address and registered agent in Hawaii.
- Very affordable
- 1-year free registered agent service
- Proven record of 500,000 established businesses
- Versatile features
- Overwhelming upsells
4 - LegalZoom
The final Hawaii LLC service on our list offers one of the most comprehensive legal and filing services in the LLC service industry.
It began operating in 2011 and has since assisted over 4 million individuals and businesses in their business formations and operations, among others.
Because of this, LegalZoom has created a strong brand reputation over the years, which is definitely a plus for us.
However, having brand power also means that the LLC service the highest-priced packages on the list.
But, if you're a Hawaii business owner who values brand power more than affordability, LegalZoom is the best LLC service for your business.
- Economy Package (Starts at $79): Includes business bank account authorization letter and basic LLC filing services with an estimated turnaround time of 30 business days.
- Standard Package ($329): Economy package features plus deluxe organizer and official certificates and seal. LLC filing has an estimated turnaround time of 15 business days.
- Express Gold Package ($349): Standard package features plus express shipping and VIP processing. LLC filing has an estimated turnaround time of 10 business days.
- Registered Agent Services: Available as an add-on service to every formation package, which costs $159 in the first year. It renews annually for $249.
- Established brand in LLC formation services
- Extensive legal and filing Hawaii LLC services
- Has high client volume
- No registered agent service included
- Many upsell to high-priced add-on services
Advantages of Creating an LLC in Hawaii
As a Hawaii entrepreneur, it is imperative that you know what benefits you can expect when you create an LLC in the Aloha state. Below are some of them:
1. Personal Asset Protection
When another entity sues the LLC, LLC owners in Hawaii do not have to worry about their personal assets, such as homes, vehicles, or bank accounts, being pursued by creditors.
With an LLC business structure, creditors are not legally allowed to do that. Instead, business creditors can only collect LLC assets, nothing else.
LLCs also protect the members against potential personal liability incurred or incurred by other LLC members.
2. Flexibility in Taxation
Hawaii-based LLCs are not required to pay both corporate and personal taxes. This is because LLCs are considered pass-through entities by default, which means taxes are passed through the business and are paid directly to the LLC members as personal income taxes.
This way, small business owners get to simplify managing and minimizing their taxes.
3. Less Complex Formation and Operation
Starting a Hawaii LLC does not require much paperwork and is pretty straightforward to process, unlike starting other entities, such as a corporation.
You're good to go when you file your Hawaii Articles of Organization with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. LLCs are also not required to have annual meetings or keep detailed minutes.
4. Hawaii LLC Privacy
LLCs in the Aloha state are not required to disclose any information about the LLC member to the state of Hawaii to form or maintain an LLC. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons many people establish their LLCs in Hawaii, as not all states can protect your identity in this way.
In Hawaii, you only need to designate a contact person and appoint a Hawaii Registered Agent. You can be your own registered agent or hire a registered agent service.
Hawaii LLC Formation Process
Whether you opt to use LLC formation services or not, you must understand the formation process of a limited liability company as a business entity.
The following are the steps to forming an LLC in Hawaii:
- Step 1: Pick a Name for Your Hawaii LLC
- Step 2: Appoint a Hawaii Registered Agent
- Step 3: Obtain Hawaii Licenses & Permits
- Step 4: File your Hawaii Articles of Organization
- Step 5: Draft your LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 6: Obtain an EIN through the Internal Revenue Service
Learn more about starting an LLC in Hawaii in our free guide.
How Long Does Forming a Hawaii LLC Usually Take?
Forming a Hawaii LLC usually takes 5 to 7 business days when Articles of Organization are filed online with the Hawaii Secretary of State. On the other hand, in-person mail filing usually takes around 3 to 4 weeks.
Can I Speed up the Formation of my LLC in Hawaii?
Yes, you can speed up the formation of your LLC in Hawaii for an extra $25. The Hawaii Secretary of State can expedite filing requests and process them within 1 to 3 business days.
How Much Does It Cost to Form a Hawaii LLC?
It costs $50 to form a Hawaii LLC. It covers the filing fee for the Articles of Organization due to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. If you wish to reserve your LLC name, you may do so at the Business Registration Division website for $10.
Is an LLC Operating Agreement Required in Hawaii?
No, an LLC operating agreement is not required in Hawaii. However, having an operating agreement is one of the foundations of an LLC. It establishes the standards and expectations for the LLC and protects its operations. Plus, it also builds the Hawaii LLC's credibility as a legal entity.
In selecting the best business formation service in Hawaii, it is important that you consider the competitive pricing of their packages, ease of use, customer support, and proven track record.
Based on our in-depth review and expert assessment, we can conclude that ZenBusiness is the LLC formation service that satisfies all of these criteria.
We recommend ZenBusiness because it provides a roster of LLC formation packages that match any Hawaii business needs and budget.
They have a competent customer service team who take the time to ensure each customer understands the LLC services they offer.
While ZenBusiness offers some of its basic LLC services only through its higher-priced packages, its formation packages are still less expensive and more varied than those offered by other LLC providers.