Maryland registered agents are a good option if you want your business to always stay on top of compliance filing and have a good standing with the secretary of state.
We consulted with legal advisors and registered agent experts to assist you in hiring the ideal one for your startup in Maryland. We have also personally tested the top 3 registered agents in Maryland.
Below is a roundup of the four best Maryland registered agent services ranked based on their price packages, quality of service, customer support, and other features.
Top 4 Registered Agent Services in Maryland (January 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent Service (Editor's Choice)
Following Maryland law, Northwest Registered Agent service offers your business all the benefits a resident agent in the state of Maryland must perform to comply with LLC legal requirements. They're simply the best-registered agent service out there.
As your contact point, they will give your business a physical address in Maryland, accept mail and legal documents on your behalf during regular office hours, take care of the process, and forward all of your mail.
We have had one of the best experiences with Northwest registered agent service, and we placed them at the top of our list because of the quality of service and outstanding customer support.
- Maryland Registered agent service ($125 per year): Includes Privacy by Default®, same-day delivery, Free Mail Forwarding, Local Corporate Guides®, and Local Document Scanning.
- LLC formation service (starts at $39): You can start your Maryland LLC with Northwest for $39 plus the state filing fee and enjoy a free year of resident agent service included in the package. Your $125 annual fee will only commence in your 2nd year.
- Safeguarding private information
- Customer service is excellent
- 20+ years of expertise
- No unstated fees for resident agent services
- A free one-year Maryland resident agent service in their formation package
- Price a bit more costly than other registered agents
2 - ZenBusiness
ZenBusiness is an upper-edge registered agent service in Maryland due to its exceptional customer care and affordable costs.
They offer lower package pricing than Northwest offers, with a stronger emphasis on making the procedure less complicated and a website that is simpler to use.
We have personally tested their dashboard, and we can confirm it is very convenient, even for beginners and first-time entrepreneurs.
- Registered agent service ($99): ZenBusiness offers resident agent service for as low as $99 without the LLC formation.
- LLC formation (starts at $39): This standard fee excuses the Maryland state filing fee. You can already enjoy their free resident agent service in your first year. After that, your annual cost will be $119 per year.
- Affordable and uncomplicated pricing
- Chat support are extended
- Huge positive client reviews online
- 60 days money-back assurance
- Brand does not have a high recognition rate
3 - Incfile
The basic minimum services required of a resident agent to keep LLCs out of legal trouble are offered by IncFile.
In our experience, they gave our LLC a Maryland address and received mail and service of process on our behalf. Although IncFile doesn't have any compliance alerts, they're punctual when it comes to filing legal paperwork.
Additionally, they provide outstanding free LLC formation services in Maryland for fresh companies that would like free resident agent services during the establishing process.
- Registered agent service ($119): Incfile’s package of $119 per year offers you a free registered agent and Maryland LLC creation. The package includes an intuitive registered agent dashboard, email alerts, and an online mailbox tool.
- LLC formation(starts at $0): Since your LLC formation is already free once you avail of Incfile’s package, the only thing you will owe is the $100/$120 Maryland filing fee.
- Very user-friendly online dashboard
- Includes a free registered agent in all creation plans
- Swift turnaround processing
- No hidden charges
- Customer service is not as extensive
4 - LegalZoom
A compliance calendar, unrestricted cloud storage, and corporate data protection are just a few advantages of LegalZoom's professional registered agent service.
Although its costs are more than the competition's, we felt at ease using their service because of its expertise and well-known brand.
- Registered agent service ($299): The resident agent service package from LegalZoom costs $299 a year. It includes the creation of company entities as well as attributes like comprehensive legal assistance, business data security, a compliance schedule, and limitless cloud services.
- LLC formation (starts at $79): Their LLC formation package will cost you $79 plus the state filing fee. LegalZoom offers premium features like protection against identity theft threats.
- Unparalleled brand power
- Large customer base
- Limitless cloud storage for documents
- Premium priced than rivals
- LLC creation bundle lacks statutory services
What Are the Benefits of Working with a Maryland Registered Agent Service?
The benefits of working with a Maryland registered agent include the following :
1. Ensures Compliance
Your Maryland registered agent will assist you in making certain that nothing is forgotten and that your business consistently complies with all relevant Maryland state regulations.
2. Focus More on Your Business
You can devote all your time, effort, and attention to growing your business when a registered agent is in charge. You are confident that nothing will be missed and that they will inform you if any documents are sent.
3. Maintains Privacy
When creating an LLC through Maryland registered agent services, you don't have to worry about publicizing your home address. Confidential documents are delivered to registered agents because they share their office addresses with the state secretary. As a result, a Maryland registered agent service is perfect for extra security .
As a business owner, you can be overwhelmed with meetings or business trips, and you can't always be available to handle compliance work.
As a result, a registered agent service is convenient for busy business owners because it is available during normal office hours.
How Much Does a Resident Agent Service Cost in Maryland?
A resident agent service in Maryland costs anywhere between $99 and $349.
The level of service you require will determine how much a Maryland resident agent will cost. The prices are higher for Maryland registered agent services that include greater involvement with their resident agent employees.
What Are the Requirements for a Maryland Registered Agent?
The requirements for a registered agent in Maryland include the following:
- A person of legal age with a Maryland street address (P.O. boxes are not accepted).
- An entity that is legally permitted to conduct business in Maryland.
These requirements are clearly defined in the Maryland Code for Corporations and Associations and hold true for anyone who wants to act as a statutory agent for a corporation (INC), limited partnership (LP), or limited liability company (LLC).
As a Maryland registered agent service, you may designate yourself, a close relative, or even an employee of your company. Or, you might assign this task to a reputable Maryland resident agent service.
Is It Necessary to Designate an Agent for My LLC in the State of Maryland?
Yes, it is necessary to designate an agent for your LLC in the state of Maryland. According to Maryland law, all LLCs, companies, and charitable organizations must choose and maintain a registered agent and a registered office.
What Is a Maryland Registered Office?
A Maryland registered office is the actual street address where the registered agent is situated. The registered agent must be on site to sign documents during regular business hours. Additionally, many state agencies send registered agent reminders for annual reports and tax notices.
Can I Change My Registered Agent Whenever I Need To?
Yes, you can change your registered agent whenever you need to. The cost to change is $25 to file.
Do I Need to Pay a Filing Fee to Form My LLC in Maryland?
Yes, you will need to pay a filing fee to form your LLC in Maryland. The cost is $100 for the state filing fee.
Can I Be My Statutory Agent for My LLC in the State of Maryland?
Yes, you can be your own statutory agent for your LLC in the State of Maryland. As long as you are qualified to become a registered agent.
How Can I Resign as My Registered Agent?
To resign as your registered agent, you must submit a Statement of Resignation of Resident Agent to the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation.
What Will Happen if My Maryland Registered Agent Fails to Carry Out Their Obligations?
If your Maryland registered agent fails to carry out their obligations, like misplacing crucial legal documents, it could harm your business. A lost legal document could lead to legal action being conducted without your knowledge against your company.
What Is the Role of a Maryland Registered Agent?
The role of a Maryland registered agent is to act as receiver of critical legal notices, such as service of process, on behalf of your company. Furthermore, a registered agent in Maryland is also a point of contact and serves as a representative for your company.
How Do I Look for a Registered Agent in Maryland?
To look for a registered agent in Maryland, you must type in the name of the company you're looking for. You will find the name of the registered agent and office address.
Which Maryland Registered Agent Service Should You Hire?
Your company's success depends critically on your Maryland registered agent service choice.
Our top choice is Northwest registered agent service. During regular office hours, they received all mail and legal papers on our behalf, handled the compliance procedure, and routed all of our correspondence.
Once you hire Northwest registered agent service, they will ensure your private information and assets are protected, all legal requirements are met, and you are in good standing with the Business Services Division and Maryland Secretary of State.
Northwest Registered Agent has been in the industry for over 20 years, and all the positive feedback from their past clients attests to their reputation and professionalism.