How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Hawaii (Full Guide)
Before you could potentially start your LLC in Hawaii, it is vital to understand the timeframe by which the Hawaii Secretary of State can process and approve your business registration.
Since I am a seasoned Mergers and Acquisitions specialist, I helped several companies, as well as individuals , and gained considerable experience with LLC formation and organization.
Based on my research and consultation with LLC experts in Hawaii, I gained insights as to the state's current processing times.
- It takes 3-5 business days to form an LLC in Hawaii online and by mail.
- The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) offers expedited processing for an additional $25 fee with a 1 business day turnaround.
- In-person filings are submitted to the DCCA’s office. The application is processed within 3-5 business days.
- In my experience, it’s best to file using the expedited service so that your business can be approved immediately.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Hawaii?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Hawaii is by filing your Articles of Organization using the expedited service, which only takes 1 business day to be approved.
Ensure that all your formation documents are in order and you comply with state laws to prevent delays with the processing.
LLC Processing Time in Hawaii
In Hawaii, all LLC filing is done by the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Business Registration Division (BREG), not the Secretary of State .
Here are four filing methods BREG offers business owners in this state.
1. Expedited Hawaii LLC Processing Time (1 business day + $25)
For an additional fee of $25, all your registration documents may be approved within 1 business day .
However, through my experience, I learned that this amount may be more or less depending on the LLC documents you're filing.
For example, expedited processing for the articles of organization is $25, while a Certificate of Standing and Articles of Conversion cost $10 and $75, respectively.
2. Non-Expedited Hawaii LLC Processing Time By Mail (3-5 business days)
Hawaii domestic and foreign LLC mail filings take a standard LLC processing time of 3-5 business days.
Before submitting an application to the DCCA, double-check that all your LLC information is accurate and that the application form is complete and legible.
When filing, I always take note of the following:
- The agency only accepts LLC documents scanned, copied, or faxed with a standard letter-sized page of 8.5 x 11 inches.
- Ensure that the directors/managers sign the registration documents, and if a signature cannot be read clearly, you must include the names below each signature line.
The DCCA accepts checks as a payment option for mail orders.
3. Hawaii LLC Processing Time Online (3-5 business days)
Online applications are approved within 3-5 business days.
To file online, I had to create an account through the Hawaii Business Express and log in with my username and password before submitting the LLC articles of organization.
After approval, you can still utilize the website to manage ongoing LLC obligations, including submitting your yearly report and any modifications for your Hawaii business entity.
The Hawaii Business Express website also offers a dashboard to access approved filings and manage/track your subsequent LLC orders.
3. Hawaii LLC Processing Time In Person (3-5 business days)
In-person LLC filing can be approved in 3-5 business days.
Once you download the certificate of organization in PDF form online, you must fill out all the necessary LLC details.
All in-person deliveries are dropped off at this address:
335 Merchant Street,
Room 201, Honolulu, HI 96813
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Hawaii LLCs
Several factors can affect the formation timeline of Hawaii LLCs, these include the following:
- Method of filing: Standard processing takes longer than expedited service. That’s why I always file using the accelerated option to save time and streamline the formation process.
- The volume of applications: The approval time is prolonged due to a high volume of transactions. The state reviews applications in the order they were received.
- Requirement issues: The agency will reject applications that don’t follow state requirements. Since the documents should be refiled, the state will process your application for a much longer time.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Hawaii LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Hawaii LLC formation during the processing period through the Hawaii Business Express webpage or you may directly contact the DCCA.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Hawaii?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Hawaii. The standard processing and expedited options apply to both LLC types.
How Do I Start an LLC in Hawaii?
You start an LLC in Hawaii by filing the articles of organization (Form LLC-1) and paying the $51 state fees to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA), Business Registration Division.