Despite being a relatively small state in terms of its overall geographical size, Connecticut has over 350,000 small businesses.
For this reason, choosing a reputable registered agent (also known as a statutory agent) for your Connecticut Limited Liability Company (LLC) is equally as crucial as searching for the best deals anywhere. It is a significant decision that could impact your company's future prospects.
To help you make a wise choice, we consulted our legal team and conducted in-depth research on the best Connecticut registered agent services to show how they differ from one another.
Read along to identify which one is best for your Connecticut LLC.
Top 5 Registered Agents in Connecticut (January 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)
Northwest Registered Agent is one of the best registered statutory service providers in Connecticut because they offer all the corporate services required to keep your Connecticut LLC or corporation in compliance with the rules imposed by the Connecticut Secretary of State.
Additionally, Northwest Registered Agent is the only primary national agent service that offers convenient document scanning services. In our experience, they locally scanned each document they received on our behalf and provided us with personalized customer service from a personal account representative.
- Connecticut Registered Agent Services (starts at $125): Includes free mail forwarding, same-day local document scanning, expert Corporate Guides®, Privacy by Default®, and 24/7 online portal accessibility.
- Protection of personal information
- Excellent customer care
- 20 years' worth of expertise
- Very clear fees
- One-year Connecticut registered agent service included for free as part of their formation package
- Not the most inexpensive selection
2 - ZenBusiness Registered Agent Service
At number two is ZenBusiness, another top-tier commercial registered agent service in Connecticut due to the company's outstanding customer service, standard business hours, and competitive pricing.
With more than 4,700 reviews, almost all positive, ZenBusiness has excellent customer feedback for its registered agents.
While trying this service, their professional customer service handled all our compliance filing and ensured we remained in the right standing with the Connecticut secretary of state.
We recommend ZenBusiness because of their Connecticut registered agent service and business formation services that are reasonable and trustworthy.
- CT Registered Agent (starts at $99): (without LLC formation).
- CT LLC Formation: ($0): All limited liability company (LLC) formation packages include a free year of registered agent services.
- Worry-Free Compliance Guaranteee ($50 per state): You can upgrade to Registered Agent Complete, which comes with two free annual filings (state fees not included) and annual report notifications.
- Reasonable and clear price structure
- Extended client chat assistance
- Gotten favorable consumer reviews
- 60-days money-back refund policy
- Poor brand authority
3 - IncFile
One of the most well-known registered agents and LLC services in Connecticut that charges fair prices is IncFile.
Since 2004, it has provided registered agent services to more than 150,000 clients, and its Learning Center provides helpful resources for business owners.
We liked that, as our registered agent, IncFile received all compliance documents on our behalf and acted as our physical address location. This is a huge advantage for startup owners who value their privacy.
- CT Registered Agent Service ($119): It includes a convenient agent service dashboard and company updates via email and SMS notifications. Charged annually.
- CT LLC Formation ($0): Starting an LLC will give you one year of free registered agent service.
- Superb online dashboard
- Offers free of charge LLC formation with a free year of agent service
- Fast ordering process
- No additional fees hidden
- Limited supplemental support
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer has been in business for almost 14 years, continuing to provide high-quality legal services for their licensed attorneys.
This company may be a great solution if you need extra legal services at an affordable price lower than getting an attorney.
We recommend this online legal services provider because it offers affordable and reliable business options for both companies as well as individuals. They also simplify their price tiers: members and non-members.
The good thing with them is that you can try their 7-day free trial and enjoy the benefits of being a premium member.
- CT Registered Agent Service ($149.99 for non-members): If you subscribe to their premium plan, you get a 25% discount.
- CT LLC Formation ($99.99 for non-members): Agent service is not included in their package for their non-members if needed. So, if you're not a premium member and want to enjoy this service, you'll purchase it separately for this standard price.
- Online legal services included
- Guaranteed 100% Customer Satisfaction
- Premium members has a free 30-minute consultation to a lawyer
- Premium priced compared to other services
- Costly to subscribe to if you don't require extra legal paperwork
5 - My Company Works
MyCompanyWorks has been in business since 2011.
What we like about this company is that they're client-driven. They focus on providing 100% satisfaction to their customers, and if you're unhappy for any reason, you can apply for their genuine 90-day refund policy.
As they say, some of the registered agent services are free for one year. MyCompanyWorks has a reliable firm for their free registered agent if you will avail of their Entrepreneur package of $199.
- CT Agent Service ($99): Under this plan, you get a Connecticut registered agent who'll act as your primary point of contact with the secretary of state.
- CT LLC Formation package ($59 plus state fee of $120): Although this doesn’t include agent service, you get all other tools required to form your Connecticut LLC.
- Excellent client reviews
- 100% client satisfaction
- Pocket-friendly base plan
- No agent service on basic plan
- Noncompetitive pricing structures
Why Work With a Registered Agent Service in Connecticut?
If you don't want to act as your own registered agent or don't feel comfortable with someone else filling this role, then a service is beneficial for your Connecticut business entity .
Added benefits of working with an agent service in Connecticut are as follows:
Your registered agent service will assist your business entity in complying with state regulations. Most registered agent services also give you access to an online account where you can quickly and safely access any documents you need at any time.
2. Provides You with Peace of Mind
You can rest easy knowing that nothing will be overlooked with registered agent services. A reliable company that receives all documents will contact you as soon as something arrives.
3. Ensures Privacy
Keeping some of the registered agent's documents private is best. You probably want to keep the service of process papers, for instance, which is done when a business entity is sued, confidential. To do this, a free registered agent service should accept the legal documents off-site .
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost in Connecticut?
Most of the Connecticut registered agent companies in Connecticut are reasonably priced.
The average cost of a registered agent service with mail forwarding services is around $50 or less per year (not including potential state fees).
However, many of these Connecticut registered agent companies offer various additional services for a premium price, such as a claiming service of process papers and other legal documents. Expect to pay $100 to $250 annually for extra services.
What Are the Requirements for a Registered Agent in Connecticut?
According to the Connecticut LLC Act, a registered agent must comply with the following requirements:
- The registered agent must be a citizen of the state or a company that offers Connecticut registered agent services.
- The registered agent is required to maintain a local physical address.
If someone is appointed, they must be at least 18 years old.
Is a Connecticut Registered Agent Service Really Necessary?
Yes, a Connecticut registered agent service is necessary. All businesses registered in Connecticut are required by law to designate a Connecticut registered agent. The Secretary of State's Commercial Recording Division will reject your business filing if you don't designate a registered agent.
Am I Allowed to Act as My Own Statutory Agent in Connecticut?
Yes, you are allowed to act as your own statutory agent in Connecticut. However, hiring a registered agent service provider is an investment in time, privacy, and peace of mind.
Can I Change My Connecticut Statutory Agent?
Yes, you can change your Connecticut statutory agent. You must submit a Change of Agent form to the Secretary of State if you want to do so.
BEST Registered Agent in Connecticut is...
You must choose a registered agent if you intend to launch a business in Connecticut. A registered agent serves as your company's point of contact in all legal matters, and they receive legal documents and mail from the state of Connecticut on your behalf.
We recommend hiring Northwest registered agent service for your Connecticut business if you're looking for a well-rounded service provider who's client-driven and affordable. In our experience, we received personalized help from one of their professional corporate guides.
Northwest registered agent offers a professional service and conducts all the requirements posed by the Connecticut Secretary of State. They provide an easy-to-sign-up process and a free 7-day premium plan trial to test their features. Plus, with their solid data privacy infrastructure, you'll be assured that all your sensitive company data is safe and free from unwarranted third-party access.