If you own a business in South Dakota, hiring an LLC service provider is crucial to help you deal with legal paperwork and ensure the protection of your company.
However, with the numerous LLC formation service providers on the market today, it can be daunting to select the right one that makes the grade and perfectly fits your business entity.
To get you off the ground, we tested some of the best LLC services in South Dakota in depth.
And to give you a better preview, we sought expert advice from our legal team and rounded these services based on their key service features, document delivery, and pricing structures.
Read on to find out our best LLC service recommendation to assist you with your South Dakota business.
5 Best LLC Formation Services in South Dakota (February 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
ZenBusiness is known for its budget-friendly, well-rounded LLC formation service features.
It offers three LLC formation package tiers—the most basic one costs $39, which includes one year of registered agent service and a free operating agreement template. In addition, they offer discounts for their legal services as well.
ZenBusiness has helped start-up business owners and entrepreneurs nationwide—forming more than 300,000 LLCs.
And for its top-notch and affordable formation service, 4,500 customer reviews online have given them an average rate of 4.7/5.
With this track record, there’s no doubt that ZenBusiness provides the best registered agent service in South Dakota.
In our experience, their customer support was superb and helped us clear out all legal doubts. We could reach them via email and phone, and their response was always prompt.
- Starter Formation Package ($49): Includes a free CPA assessment, LLC formation, a registered agent service for one year, and a free operating agreement template.
- Pro Package ($199): Provides Employer Identification Number (EIN) registration, VIP processing, handling of annual report filings, and two yearly amendments in this package.
- Premium Package ($299): Includes rush filing, business domain name, website email address, and domain privacy.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): All three LLC formation packages include a registered agent service for an entire year. The service is then annually renewed for $119 or $99 a la carte.
- Their formation process is pretty fast
- They have a wide selection of packages
- Cost-effective LLC formation and registered agent service packages
- Outstanding customer feedback online
- Hassle-free compliance and filing
- ZenBusiness's brand isn’t well known
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is perfect for you if you’re looking for a provider with an outstanding reputation built over a long time.
Founded in 1998, it has made a name for itself with top-notch and highly affordable LLC formation and registered agent services.
The starting price costs $39 and already includes a free registered agent service for an entire year. We were amazed to see how much attention they paid to privacy protection, which is a huge plus.
- Base Formation Package ($39): Includes all the paperwork required for forming your South Dakota LLC—such as name searches, registration, and filing of all legal documents. It also includes a year of free registered agent service.
- Deluxe Package ($179): Includes the services from the Based Formation Package and access to an Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Commercial Registered Agent Services ($125): Provides a free registered agent service for an entire year. It then renews annually for $135.
- Their fees are transparent
- Solid data privacy system
- More than 20 years of LLC formation experience
- Includes one year of free registered agent in South Dakota
- Has expensive packages
3 - IncFile
IncFile has a much more affordable LLC formation service. It is one of the few companies that doesn’t charge business owners and entrepreneurs for its LLC formation and registered agent service.
In our experience, we only paid South Dakota state fees, physical address fees, and certification services.
IncFile does not charge its clients for its LLC formation and registered agent service—it handles everything else, saving you from worries and hassles.
Additionally, we appreciate its customer service department for its quick response time. We received prompt and detailed answers to all the questions we had with any filing procedures.
Their third-party offers and a few upsells are the only drawbacks that seem to appear. Regardless, it does not change the fact that IncFile is among the best in the registered agent service industry.
- Free Silver Package ($0): Includes forming your LLC in South Dakota, a year of registered agent service, and lifetime company compliance alerts.
- IncFile Gold ($19): Includes the addition of preparing the operating agreement, banking resolution, and EIN registration.
- Platinum Package ($344): Adds free business website and domain name, business contract templates, and priority expedited filing for all South Dakota businesses.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): Includes free registered agent service for a whole year. The service then renews annually for $199.
- Has worked with over 800,000 businesses
- Excellent customer support team
- Budget-friendly LLC formation, perfect for start-up business owners
- Includes a full year of registered agent in South Dakota
- Has a few upsells and third-party offers
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is a legal service established in San Francisco that provides users with access to a variety of pre-formatted legal papers as well as other high-quality legal services. They have been in the field for about 14 years (since 2008).
When evaluating service providers, we found Rocket Lawyer has the most amazing personalized customer support system.
We were able to talk directly with an attorney who personally walked us through the challenges we had with our LLC.
We are pleased that the company gives a 7-day free trial time for you to test out their value-added services if you are hesitant about their membership. However, keep in mind that this trial only allows you limited access to the majority of their services.
Also, once you sign up for the free trial, remember to cancel the subscription to avoid an automatic charge to your credit card.
- Premium Monthly Subscription ($39.99): Because Rocket Lawyer is more of a subscription service, members under this plan enjoy all LLC formation processes plus access to legal attorneys and commercial registered agents.
- EIN Acquisition ($59.99): If you select this package when creating your LLC, Rocket Lawyer will handle all your EIN registration and acquisition.
- Corporate Kit ($99.99): In this kit, you get document seals, customized company forms, and membership certificates.
- Personalized help desk
- Direct contact with professional attorneys
- Free seven-day trial
- Premium services available only to subscribers
- Their packages are expensive
5 - LegalZoom
Being a one-stop online shop for legal services, LegalZoom offers extensive legal services that have helped over 4 million people and businesses in several ways—half of which involve LLC formation.
Although LegalZoom comes at a much higher price than the companies on this list, it still provides the best LLC service in South Dakota.
But despite being reasonable, LegalZoom’s entry-level package is not as feature-rich as the others. Nevertheless, it remains the strongest brand in the LLC formation service industry.
- Basic Economy Package ($79): It includes all essential LLC filing services plus a business entity name search, Peace of Mind Review™, compliance check, and 30-minute tax consultation.
- Standard Package ($329): Starting price costs $329 + South Dakota state fee, including deluxe organizers and official certificates and seals.
- Express Gold Package ($349): Starting price costs $349 + the South Dakota state fee, along with the bundle's express shipping and VIP processing.
- Dakota Registered Agent Service ($159): In this package, IncFile acts as your premium registered agent service and physical business address contact. After the first year, this service then renews annually for $249.
- An established brand in the industry
- Provides extended customer support hours
- Provides extensive legal services for your South Dakota LLC
- Does not include a lot of service features in its packages
- Many upsell high-priced add-on services
Advantages of Creating an LLC in South Dakota
Your South Dakota LLC will benefit your business in several ways, depending on your business type. We have listed below the advantages of creating an LLC in South Dakota .
1. Personal Assets Protection
Creating an LLC in South Dakota is your best option to protect your liability from personal creditors and debt collectors. With this, debt collectors cannot go after your assets upon establishing your business.
Furthermore, LLCs can protect small business owners and members from their fellow LLC owners and members who may potentially incur their liability.
2. Pass-Through Taxation
With your South Dakota LLC, you can have more advantages over corporations, especially in taxation. Because your LLC provides pass-through taxation, the taxes passing through your business will come straight to you as personal income.
3. Less Complexity in Formation and Operation
Creating your South Dakota LLC can save you from regularly dealing with legal documents and paperwork. Because with an LLC, you can have a far more straightforward formation process than other corporations.
4. Flexibility in Raising Capital
With your South Dakota LLC, raising capital becomes more straightforward. And as an LLC in South Dakota, you can add new members without giving them a complete say in management .
South Dakota LLC Formation Process
You may create your LLC in South Dakota by following these seven easy steps:
- Step 1: Come up with a name for your South Dakota LLC
- Step 2: Look for a South Dakota registered agent
- Step 3: Submit the South Dakota Certificate of Formation
- Step 4: Construct your South Dakota LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 5: Get your Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Step 6: Choose the type of your South Dakota LLC
- Step 7: File your South Dakota LLC annual report
Our Selection Process
Here's a brief description of the criteria we followed in selecting these best South Dakota LLC services.
1. Service Features
When assessing service providers, one of the most important factors we value is their service characteristics. This is significant since some providers provide pricey packages with constrained service features.
We purchased various packages from the top South Dakota LLC service providers and put their features to the test in order to gain personal experience.
Then, we compiled a list of the best providers that include features that are essential for business entities; business name search, annual report filing, general business license, Dakota registered agent services, and compliance filing.
2. Turnaround Times
We verified that these providers' turnaround times were as quick and effective as feasible before selecting any of them.
Here, we concurrently submitted several orders on each platform, and we eagerly awaited to see how quickly deliveries were completed. After that, we evaluated and graded services with shorter lead times (one to seven business days).
3. Pricing of Packages
To have the best LLC service in South Dakota, we went for the ones with a competitive, reasonable pricing structure.
After subscribing to the different packages offered by top LLC services in South Dakota, we proceeded to rank these five as they offered the most value for money.
We recommend these most-affordable LLC services because not only do they fit any small business budget, but they also provide the necessary tools for your business.
4. Customer Support
A quick response time is one of the qualities we considered before recommending these South Dakota business formation services. We contacted all the help desk teams of all LLC formation services in this list by mail, chat, and phone.
We then ranked each on a scale of 1-5 based on how fast they responded and how detailed their response was in regard to the issues we had. We believe outstanding customer support gives you a hassle-free experience while forming your business.
How Long Does It Take To Form My LLC in South Dakota?
It takes around 3-5 working days to form your LLC in South Dakota by mail. However, online filings for South Dakota are instantly accepted. There is no additional transit time because you can download your documents as soon as they are approved.
How Much Does It Cost To Create a South Dakota LLC?
It costs around $165 to create a South Dakota LLC. This is the cost of submitting the articles of organization with the South Dakota Secretary of State. If submitted by mail, there is an extra filing cost of $15. For $25, you can reserve the name of your LLC with the South Dakota Secretary of State.
Do I Need a Business Formation Service in South Dakota?
Yes, you need a business formation service in South Dakota if you want to have a worry-free compliance filing process and be in the right standing with the Secretary of State.
Although it’s not a must to have your LLC when starting your business, you can commence the LLC formation process later on when running your startup.
What Is the Best LLC Service in South Dakota for You?
Many LLC formation service providers may assist you with forming your LLC. But only a select few provide the best LLC service in South Dakota. With each having reasonable prices and top-notch service, you can rest assured that your business will stand firm.
For a well-rounded, affordable LLC formation service, ZenBusiness is your best option. ZenBusiness is the ideal company if you’re looking for top-notch customer service plus the best value in service.
As the best business formation service in South Dakota, ZenBusiness offers inexpensive LLC creation services with one of the quickest response times in the industry.
You'll have the resources to start your firm and be operational in no time, thanks to their quick application process and first-rate customer support team.