Starting a limited liability company (LLC) can be difficult, especially if you're new to the North Carolina business world and unfamiliar with the procedures in the state.
To help you make the most informed decision, we searched every corner of the internet for the best LLC formation services in North Carolina, scoured through online reviews, and went through the whole process with each.
Here’s what we discovered by evaluating these service providers in NC.
5 Best LLC Services in North Carolina (December 2022)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
ZenBusiness, founded in Texas in 2015, is a provider devoted to assisting business owners in the opening, maintaining, and developing of their companies.
ZenBusiness offers a wide range of business formation services, and despite being relatively new to the industry, it is outperforming its competitors with low-cost options and outstanding customer relations.
Having assisted in the formation of over 300,000 businesses, ZenBusiness simplifies and lowers the cost of simple regulatory filings for entrepreneurs, which makes them extremely popular among clients.
- ZenBusiness Starter ($49): This package offers unlimited name availability lookups, filing Articles of Organization, telephone and email customer service, free accounting counseling, free fully automated payroll management, free tax deduction tagging, a digital dashboard to gain entry to crucial documentation for your LLC, and worry-free compliance for the first twelve months.
- ZenBusiness Pro ($199): ZenBusiness Pro contains each of the LLC services included in the Starter package and some extra business formation options like a custom operating agreement and expedited filing speed.
- ZenBusiness Premium ($299): ZenBusiness Premium includes everything above, in addition to expedited filing and web applications.
- North Carolina Registered Agent Service: A free year of registered agent service is included in their formation package. However, if you want to avail of this service, it would cost you about $99 per year.
- Various formation packages to choose from
- Cost-effective plans
- Direct business formation solutions
- Expeditious formation process
- Outstanding client feedback
- Low brand recognition
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest is a reputable company that has been in action for more than 20 years.
This online business formation service is a credible and highly specialized firm with a simple interactive website and outstanding customer service that can ensure your LLC formation or incorporation is completed efficiently and effectively.
- LLC Formation Service ($39 plus statutory fees): They will set up and manage your LLC for $39 plus statutory fees. This covers the registration and operation of an LLC, 60 days of free phone service, privacy by default, registered agent service in North Carolina, mail sending, professional advisor provider, and a company address.
- North Carolina Registered Agent Service ($125): This package includes pre-filled state forms, same-day local scans, annual report reminders, access to all your documents, privacy by default, free email forwarding, and more.
- 2-decade-long track record
- Exceptional privacy and data protection
- Straightforward fees
- 1-year free registered agent service
3 - IncFile
Since 2004, Incfile, situated in Houston, Texas, has assisted in the formation of over 800,000 companies.
While we analyzed web services that help you create your business online, Incfile was one of the businesses that dominated our list.
Incfile can assist you in starting your firm and provide a full year of free registered agent service with one of the best rates we've encountered.
- Silver Package ($0): This includes a name availability checking, long-term business notifications, assertion, and withdrawal of the organizer/incorporator, article preparation and filing, 24-hour company preparation, a registered agent (free for the first year), web access to formation records, as well as third-party partner offers.
- Gold Package ($149): Everything in the Silver package is included in the Gold package, including a federal tax ID number (EIN), banking resolution, company formation kit, expedited shipment, operating agreement, and IRS Form 2553 completion and submission.
- Platinum Package ($299): Everything offered by the Gold plan is included in the Platinum package, plus additional services such as expedited state filing, business arrangement documents, a premium business formation kit, and a business website and domain name.
- North Carolina Registered Agent Service: Incfile provides one year of registered agents at no cost in each of their services. Then it's $119/year, which continues to be on the cheaper side of registered service charges.
- Low rates
- Same-day filing and quick LLC formation
- Includes a whole year of registered agent services for free
- Registration is quick and simple
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom was established in 1999, and it easily became the most well-known due to its vast number of clients and intensive marketing. It has competitive pricing options with the ability to tack on other solutions.
They provide the ability to access various judicial products and solutions to assist company executives and owners in navigating the legal concerns and obstacles that come with establishing and running a firm.
- Economical ($79): This covers lifelong customer service, articles of organization preparation and filing, bank account registration documents, banking resolution, as well as a business name availability verification.
- Standard ($329): Everything included in the economy package is covered in this package, as well as a deluxe organizer and a membership certification and seal, including 20 personalized membership certificates for the members of your LLC, as well as a stylish seal.
- Express Gold ($349): Everything contained in the Standard package is included, as well as VIP handling and rapid shipment.
- North Carolina Registered Agent Service: LegalZoom charges $299 annually for third-party certified registered agent services.
- Cheap ongoing legal assistance
- 100% money-back assurance
- Simple online portal
- Higher costs and a lack of openness
- There are numerous upsells
5 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings is a low-cost North Carolina business entity formation service with some of the market's shortest response times. Swyft Filings, founded in 2012, is a fledgling firm in the congested LLC creation service sector.
Swyft Filings remains one of the finest options for some simple LLC forms or incorporations due to its efficient price plan and fast delivery periods.
- Basic ($49): This comprises a one-hour business tax analysis, articles of organization preparation and filing, name availability check, long-term customer service, complianceGuard company notifications, as well as a free domain name for one year.
- Standard ($149): Covers every feature covered in the Basic package, as well as a federal tax ID number (EIN), organizational minutes, an LLC operating agreement, and a financial resolution.
- Premium ($299): All of the features covered in the standard package are included here in addition to a digital corporate kit, a company website, and three months of hosting through the use of their collaboration with an undisclosed third-party website builder provider.
- North Carolina Registered Agent Service: Swyft Filings charges a cost for your own registered agent service in addition to the $49 Basic plan price.
- Installment purchases are permitted
- Adaptable pricing model
- Reasonable processing timeframes
- Upselling excessively
- The registered agent service is not covered
Advantages of Creating an LLC in North Carolina
Here are the advantages of creating an LLC in North Carolina:
1. Personal Liability Protection
The primary benefit of LLCs is that they insulate owners from personal liability. This implies that if the LLC gets into bankruptcy or is held liable, the owner's financial and personal properties are not affected.
Although, a personal guarantee for company finance is an exception. That does allow creditors to hold you legally accountable for debt repayment.
2. Flexible Taxation
Standard companies are often subject to double income taxes. Selecting an LLC as your entity type provides you with several possibilities for paying taxes.
Except if an LLC opts to be treated as a C corporation, profits are passed through to the owners as personal income rather than corporate tax rates. This is known as pass-through taxes, and it saves money by eliminating double taxation.
3. Paperwork Reduction
The formation and maintenance of an LLC become less complicated and involve less required documentation than any of the other corporate formations.
An LLC establishes itself by filing articles of formation as well as making a payment to the appropriate state agency, usually the secretary of state's office, which registered agents usually do.
4. Administration Diversification
Corporations have an organized management structure that comprises a director board that supervises corporate policy and officials who conduct daily operations.
In contrast, a general partnership compels all partners to divide corporate earnings evenly.
Rather, LLCs enable earnings to be divided according to the provisions of the operating agreement.
North Carolina LLC Formation Process
In North Carolina, forming an LLC might be scary. There are special filing procedures as well as expenses for North Carolina LLCs.
The following are the processes for starting an LLC in North Carolina.
- Step 1: Pick a name for your North Carolina LLC
- Step 2: Acquire a registered agent for your North Carolina LLC.
- Step 3: File Articles of Organization
- Step 4: Create an operating agreement for your North Carolina LLC.
- Step 5: Obtain an EIN and meet all tax and regulatory obligations.
- Step 6: Annual reports must be filed with the North Carolina Secretary of State.
Qualities to Look For in a North Carolina LLC Service
When choosing an LLC service, it’s vital to know what to look for.
- Outstanding Customer Service - It'd be advantageous if you consider LLC formation services that provide an exceptional customer service team. It is simple to determine if a firm can provide satisfactory customer service. You merely ought to read internet evaluations to obtain a grasp of how people perceive the firm you would like to invest in.
- A Broad Range of Services - It can be a smart option to select an LLC filing Service Company that can provide you with a large selection of options. The very first moment you meet, you could always assess a firm's capacity to deliver a broad array of services. Aside from providing a diverse choice of services, you, too, should consider a firm's responsiveness.
- Brand Recognition - The image of the LLC formation service you select is crucial. A quality LLC service provider is always going to have a solid track record since previous customers were pleased with what they received. Any LLC services company with a powerful brand is unlikely to supply you with high-quality services.
Is North Carolina a Good State to Form an LLC?
Yes, North Carolina is a good state to form an LLC because the processing period is relatively short and straightforward.
How Fast Can I Get an LLC in NC?
You can get an LLC in NC in between 7-10 days if you register digitally.
Do North Carolina LLCs Have to Pay Taxes?
Yes, North Carolina LLCs have to pay taxes. The corporation tax in North Carolina is a fixed 5% of income taxes. Furthermore, North Carolina imposes a company franchise tax. This taxation could also apply to your LLC. All taxes have to be paid to the Department of Revenue (DOR).
If you're trying to find the best LLC filing service, it's a good idea to concentrate on selecting a firm that offers the perfect mix of services for your company and has a proven history of collaborating with organizations similar to your sector while still having competitive rates.
ZenBusiness topped our list as an excellent choice for fresh entrepreneurs looking for help and comfort as they start their businesses.
The complete formation process is done online. It's quick and simple, and it includes all we deem necessary.