How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Maryland (Guide)
If you're establishing a limited liability company in Maryland, it would be good to know about the processing times offered by the Secretary of State so that you understand how long it'll take for your LLC to be approved.
According to the US Small Business Administration between March 2021 and March 2022, the state saw 15,047 Maryland establishments opened.
As a Mergers and Acquisitions specialist and a degree holder in tax law, I worked with several entrepreneurs and helped them create new joint organizations.
After consulting various LLC experts, we'll provide you with the processing times for the different filing methods offered by the state of Maryland.
If you need help with the application, you can hire Maryland's best LLC formation services to assist you in filing your LLC paperwork.
- It takes approximately 6-8 weeks to form an LLC in Maryland online and by mail.
- The Maryland Secretary of State offers expedited filing for registration documents at an additional fee of $425 for a 2-hour delivery, $325 for 3-hour processing and $50 for a 10-day approval time.
- Maryland saw a 1.7% increase in business filings between the first nine months of 2022 and 2023. Specifically, 76,404 business applications were filed in the state in the first nine months of 2023.
- Always make sure to choose the method of filing that suits your budget and business needs.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Maryland?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Maryland is by filing online or by mail using the expedited service.
For the most basic option, your documents are processed within 10 business days. The rush filing option applies to online submissions only and takes 3 hours to approve.
Expedited shipping applies to LLC registration submitted in hard copies and takes 2 hours to approve. In person submissions could be expedited for a fee of $425 .
LLC Processing Time in Maryland
The state of Maryland offers different processing times depending on the filing method you use.
These are the following:
1. Expedited Maryland LLC Processing Time Online and By Mail (3-hour delivery + $325)
Maryland offers three options for accelerated filing:
- $50 for 7-10 business days
- $325 rush filing for 3 hours delivery
- $425 expedited processing for 2 hours delivery
I choose expedited service for clients who want to start their businesses as soon as possible.
2. Non-Expedited Maryland LLC Processing Time By Mail (6 weeks)
Regular mail filings in Maryland take a standard LLC processing time of 6 weeks.
When filing by mail, I had to log in to the online portal, download the registration forms and fill out all LLC details.
The SOS will decline your Maryland corporation documents if you fail to include any of the following basic details:
- LLC name
- LLC address
- Registered agent service contact details (name and address)
- Official signatures
3. Maryland LLC Processing Time Online (6 weeks)
Standard processing for online submissions takes 6 weeks to be approved. All online business filings are made on the Maryland Business Express website.
After creating an online user account, choose the business organization you wish to establish; in this example, a limited liability company.
Follow the instructions and fill out the required information on the articles of formation. Then pay the $103 LLC processing fee through Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or American Express.
Filing the articles of the organization online is $100 plus an additional 3% or $3 for the convenience fee .
I prefer to avail of expedited service when filing online since it's more efficient and convenient.
4. Maryland LLC Processing Time In Person (30 business days)
Hand-delivered Maryland corporation papers have a standard processing time of around 30 business days, depending on the filling volume and when you file.
Once you download and fill out the articles of organization form, print it and take it to the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) Dropbox available in the lobby of 301 West Preston Street .
In my experience, the SDAT staff will contact you through the phone number you provided in case there are specific details that you must amend.
Also, the SDAT Dropbox is open from Monday to Friday.
"Understanding the specific requirements and regulations set forth by Maryland authorities is key to expediting the LLC formation timeline."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Maryland LLCs
The LLC processing time in Maryland may be delayed due to the following reasons:
- Method of filing: Standard processing takes up to 6 weeks to be approved while accelerated service is processed within the day or up to 10 business days.
- Volume of applications: Filing during peak seasons increases workload volume and prolongs the processing time.
- Weekends and holidays: The state does not conduct business during this period, as such, the formation papers are reviewed the next business day. To streamline the application, I make it a practice to file early in the working week.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Maryland LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Maryland LLC formation during the processing period on the online business registry.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Maryland?
There's no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Maryland. The state will review and approve the documents based on the order of applications received during the weekdays.