Hiring a registered agent service is key to successfully starting your Washington, D.C., business. The right registered agent will ensure that you are complying with local regulations to keep you compliant.
To save valuable time to put into your business, we have researched and studied over 60 registered agent services and narrowed it down to the seven best options.
We evaluated these Washington D.C. registered agent services by assessing customer support, price, turnaround time, and more.
Read on to find out the best-registered agent service In Washington, D.C., that you can hire today.
The 7 Best Washington D.C. Registered Agent Services (February 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent has over 20 years of experience in LLC formation and registered agent service.
They provide some of the most secure services as well as excellent customer service. They will provide you with a registered agent's address located in Washington, D.C., to receive all essential information.
Northwest Registered Agent also provides compliance alerts, annual report filing deadline alerts, a system that is simple to use, and a team of registered agents who’ve had experience working as lawyers and accountants.
- Registered Agent Service ($125 plus State Fees): Includes Washington D.C registered agent services, privacy by default, free mail forwarding, same-day document scanning, and local corporate guides.
- Basic LLC Formation Package ($39 plus State Fees): Includes a Washington D.C LLC, an LLC operating agreement, a membership certificate, and a free registered agent for a year.
- VIP LLC Formation Package ($100 plus State Fees): The VIP service includes everything from the basic plan plus same-day filing, a corporate guide, privacy by default, and compliance.
- A free year of registered agent service in their basic LLC formation package
- Simple setup
- Over 20 years of experience
- Top-notch customer service
- Transparent pricing
2 - ZenBusiness
ZenBusiness primarily focuses on LLC formation than registered agent services; however, they do have registered agents.
ZenBusiness comes equipped with excellent customer service, worry-free compliance, and a variety of other services.
Their customer support was prompt, extremely helpful, and provided thorough clarifications regarding crucial legal questions we were curious about.
- Registered Agent Standard ($99): Includes a Washington D.C. registered agent, online document access, and expert customized support.
- Registered Agent Complete ($149): Includes everything from the standard package plus worry-free compliance, which alerts you on essential deadlines for annual reports, filing of the reports, and protection from fees if you fall out of compliance.
- Affordable pricing
- Money-back guarantee for 60 day
- Positive customer feedback
- Great customer support
- Low brand recognition
3 - Incfile
Incfile is one of the most popular registered agent services and LLC formation services. They have served over 150,000 customers since their start in 2004.
They also provide a registered agent dashboard which allows you to track and access essential documents and alert you on compliance status.
- Silver LLC Formation Package ($0 Plus State Fees): Includes free registered agent service for 12 months, Washington D.C LLC compliance alerts, an online business page, and quick order completion.
- Gold LLC Formation Package ($149 Plus State Fees): The Gold LLC package includes everything from the Silver package plus an LLC kit with a stamping seal and binder, an employee identification number, an operating agreement, express LLC filing, and a contract library.
- Platinum LLC Formation Package ($249 Plus State Fees): The Platinum Plan includes everything from the previous two packages plus a business domain and website, expedited delivery, and a Platinum LLC Kit, which includes everything from the Gold Kit and a corporate embossing seal.
- They have an extremely useful online dashboard
- All formation packages include a free registered agent service
- Quick order processing
- There are no hidden costs
- Support options are limited
4 - Rocket Lawyer
RocketLawyer is known for providing legal services and support to business owners. They have helped to form over 800,000 businesses and provide registered agent services.
Their business bundle plan also includes a free registered agent for a year. They offer many different a la carte services, such as legal questions to a lawyer, a 30-minute legal consultation, document defence, legal document creation, and more.
- Business Bundle ($349 Plus State Fees): Includes one year of legal services, free business incorporation, and one year of registered agent service. Using the a la carte menu, Rocket Lawyer's LLC Service is $99.99 plus state fees, and their registered agent service is $149.99.
- Free 7-Day trial membership
- 30-Day money back guarantee
- Excellent service team
- Not a traditional registered agent service
- Very expensive
5 - MyCompanyWorks
Founded in 2001, My Company Works, formerly known as My New Company, has helped form over 60,000 businesses.
They were named one of the fastest-growing private companies of 2017. Customers often compliment their quick and easy process for Washington D.C LLC formation service.
They also offer a free business tax consultation, unlimited name searches, compliance alerts, online access to documents, and more.
- Registered Agent Services ($99 per year): Includes a Washington D.C. registered agent, online document access, and expert customized support.
- Basic Formation Package ($59 Plus State Fees): Includes a business entity name search, District of Columbia LLC filing, business meeting minutes, an LLC checklist, Ebooks, digital documents, and operating agreements.
- Entrepreneur Formation Package ($199 Plus State Fees): The Entrepreneur Package includes everything from the basic package plus registered agent services, an EIN, and lifetime access to online forms.
- Complete Formation Package ($279 Plus State Fees): The Complete Package includes everything from the previous package and adds The Premium upgrade, which provides for annual report filing, compliance checks, and business monitoring for good standing.
- Business entity monitoring
- Exceptional customer service
- Over 20 years of experience
- Expensive compared to other services
- The lower package doesn't include a registered agent service
6 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance was formed in 2012 and has helped form over 20,000 businesses. They provide you with compliance services to keep your business in good standing and perform the traditional duties of a commercial registered agent.
They also offer dedicated account managers with their registered agent service.
- Registered Agent Service ($99 per year): Includes same-day delivery of documents and immediate access to the registered agent's physical address.
- User-friendly online system
- Quick service
- Dedicated account managers
- The website can be confusing
- Fewer services are offered with formation packages
7 - Legal Zoom
LegalZoom is another registered agent service full of real lawyers who can provide legal assistance, including the LLC District of Columbia formation process. They offer one of the largest business networks, comprehensive legal services, and more.
Their brand power is very strong, and their customer support is exquisite. However, they are very pricey, and their LLC formation packages don’t include registered agent services, which means you’ll have to purchase the service as an add-on.
- Registered Agent Service ($299 per year): Registered agent services cost $299 a year without the business formation and $249 a year if added to a business formation package.
- Years of experience
- Positive customer feedback
- Lots of services
- Very expensive
- No registered agent service is included with LLC formation packages
The Benefits Of Working With A Registered Agent In Washington D.C.
When you form an LLC, your data goes into a state database that is viewable by the public.
This information includes a business name, formation date, registered agent name, and D.C. registered agent's physical street address. By using a premium registered agent service, you can keep your name and address confidential .
2. Legal Documents
Another benefit is that any legal documents will be delivered to the registered agent's address instead of to you personally.
If someone brings a lawsuit against your company, it is less stressful having a professional registered agent service handle the paperwork.
Another benefit of using the best-registered agent is that they will keep you compliant. Certain states require annual reports to be filed, and dates are quickly forgotten.
Your Washington, D.C. registered agent will remind you that paperwork needs to be completed, and they can provide you with the proper forms.
4. Less Stress
With a commercial registered agent, you can have peace of mind to focus your time and energy on your business.
Complying with regulations can take a lot of time and require you to fill out lengthy forms. To save valuable time, allow a registered agent to handle your paperwork.
A Washington, D.C., registered agent will allow you to choose your own business hours. Registered agents have to be available during typical business hours from 8 am until 5 pm daily.
If you need to be your own registered agent, your business has to be open during these hours, which can be problematic for certain companies.
6. Business In Another State
If you are doing business in a different state than where you reside, having a registered agent is necessary. State law mandates your company be incorporated where your business is located. By using a registered agent, you can live and do business in separate states.
7. Prevent Having To Change Your Address
The registered agent's physical address must remain current on file. If you need to be your own registered agent, you would have to change the address on file anytime you move.
If you use a registered agent service for your business entity, you never have to worry about changing the address on file.
How Much Does Registered Agent Service Cost in Washington, D.C.?
Most registered agent services in Washington, D.C., cost between $100 and $300 per year.
What Are The Requirements For A Washington D.C Registered Agent?
The requirements for a Washington D.C. registered agent include being over the age of 18, having a street address in Washington D.C., and being physically present during normal business hours.
Our Selection Process
We used three main criteria to evaluate registered agent services, and these included price, turnaround, and support.
Price and overall value can vary widely from service to service. We chose our top seven registered agents based on the value they provide for the price.
We selected registered agent services that give you the most features available on the market for the money.
2. Turnaround Time
Turnaround time is vital when starting an LLC in Washington DC. You won't need to wait weeks or months to create your District of Columbia LLC with a registered agent. You want a registered agent that works quickly and efficiently.
We tested the services of all the registered agents on our list only to choose those with the fastest turnaround times. We chose registered agent services that had a turnaround time between one and five days.
We examined the customer support of each registered agent. A registered agent should have responsive customer support.
To choose the services with the best support, we contacted representatives at each service, made basic inquiries, and noted their response time and efficiency.
We chose only the registered agents that had excellent response times and knowledgeable representatives.
Who Can Be A Registered Agent In The District Of Columbia?
You, any LLC members, friends, or really anyone can be a registered agent in the District of Columbia. The two requirements are that you are a state resident that is 18 years or older.
How Can I Change The Registered Agent Address In Washington, D.C?
You can easily change the registered agent address in Washington, D.C. by filing an RA change form with the D.C. Secretary of State through the department of consumer and regulatory affairs here.
How Do I Lookup A Company's Registered Agent In Washington, D.C?
You can look up a company's registered agent at the Washington D.C. SOS website. You can search by company name and find the listed resident agent.
What Is The Difference Between A Resident Agent And A Registered Agent In The District Of Columbia?
There is no difference between a resident agent and a registered agent In the District of Columbia. Some states use the word resident agent, and some use the term registered agent.
How Do I Change My D.C. Registered Agent?
You can change your D.C. registered agent using an RA change form with the Washington D.C. department of consumer and regulatory affairs. It costs $50 to change your registered agent on file.
Can An LLC Be Sued If There Is No Registered Agent?
An LLC or corporation can be sued if there is no registered agent. If there is no registered agent, there isn't a designated representative to receive legal documents; however, if there is a lawsuit, it will proceed regardless.
What Is the Best Columbia Registered Agent Service for You?
Choosing the best registered agent can have many benefits for your business, including flexibility, privacy, saving valuable time to focus on your business, and more.
Among the registered agent services in Washington, D.C., these seven companies stood out for their pricing value, turnaround, and customer support.
After detailed research, we recommend Northwest Registered Agent as the best agent in Washington, D.C.
Not only do they provide the best price with their registered agent service by including it in their base package for LLC formation, but they also have over 20 years of experience in the industry, top-notch customer support, a user-friendly system, and a team of experienced registered agents that are previous lawyers and accountants.