How Long Does It Take to Form an LLC in Pennsylvania?
As a prospective Pennsylvania LLC owner, you should know how long the Secretary of State takes to process your filings.
Since I have a Master's Degree in Tax Law and helped countless clients with LLC formation, I'll share with you my insights on Pennsylvania's processing and approval times.
I’ve spent the last weeks looking through the Pennsylvania Department of State website and consulting with certified LLC specialists in the state.
Starting a Pennsylvania LLC can be challenging for newcomers due to complex state requirements. Hiring a Pennsylvania LLC service is crucial for guidance, document handling, and ensuring compliance with state business laws.
- It takes 15 business days to form an LLC in Pennsylvania if you filed by mail and 10 working days if submitted online.
- Expedited filings are only accepted for online and in-person filings, at an additional cost of $100 (same-day service), $300 (three-hour service) and $1,000 (one-hour service).
- All filings will be approved when the Articles of Organization and Docketing Statement are completed.
- Having formed an LLC in Pennsylvania, I can attest that the same-day online filing for a cost of a $100 is the best option.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Pennsylvania?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Pennsylvania is by filing online or in person using the expedited service.
You can file before:
- 10 a.m. and pay an extra $100 cost for same-day service.
- 2:00 p.m. and pay an extra $300 for a three-hour service.
- 4 p.m. and pay an additional $1,000 for an hour of service.
Cash payment is not accepted. Instead, you can pay by check, customer deposit account, credit card or money order. Note that all fees are not refundable .
LLC Processing Time in Pennsylvania
The Pennsylvania Secretary of State's office will process your LLC formation filings depending on your chosen filing method.
Below are the three methods to submit a Pennsylvania LLC formation document and the processing time for each.
1. Expedited Pennsylvania LLC Processing Time Online and In-Person (Same-day service +$100, 3-hour service +$300, 1-hour service +$1,000)
The state of Pennsylvania only offers expedited service through online and in-person applications.
Based on our research, the state does not accept expedited service forms by mail. Paper submissions should be filed in person along with the expedited request form.
2. Non-Expedited Pennsylvania LLC Processing Time By Mail (15 business days)
Standard mail filings take 15 business days to be approved .
When I filed my application, I prepared and sent a hard copy of the Articles of Organization and an attached docketing statement since it is required by the Secretary of State.
Submit your Articles of Organization, Docketing Statement, and the filing fee to:
Pennsylvania Department of State
Bureau of Corporations
PO Box 8722
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722
3. Pennsylvania LLC Processing Time Online (10 business days)
Pennsylvania LLC online applications get processed in 10 business days in the order they are received .
I was able to download my LLC formation documents as soon as the Department of State approved the application.
See our article for more information on how much does an LLC cost in Pennsylvania.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Pennsylvania LLCs
Since I’ve filed countless formation documents before, I discovered the various factors that affect LLC processing time, such as:
- Workload and short staffing: Although expedited service is available, the volume of application and undermanned workforce could prolong the processing time.
- Document issues: The state will not process documents with lacking or inaccurate information. That’s why before I submit all required business papers, I thoroughly check and review the document.
- Time of the year: Peak seasons occur during the end or beginning of the year. Since most businesses file or register their business during this time, the volume of transactions prolong the formation process.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Pennsylvania LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can't check the status of your Pennsylvania LLC formation during the processing period. You simply need to wait for the documents to be mailed to you by the state.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Pennsylvania?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Pennsylvania. The state will review and approve formation documents in the order they were received.
Does Pennsylvania Require a General Business License for LLCs?
Pennsylvania does not require a general business license for LLCs. However, you should register your business with the Department of Revenue if you sale taxable goods.