When searching for the most suitable registered agent in New York for your business, you should consider the cost of their services, their reputation, and whether their services will meet your business needs.
To help you with this, we decided to test more than ten different New York registered agent services with the help of our legal advisors and comply with a list of industry-leading New York registered agents.
These companies are not only reliable, but they will provide the best value for your money.
Top 6 Agent Services (September 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest Registered Agent delivers a smooth user experience, starting from registration to scanning and mail forwarding of legal documents.
Clients also receive notifications to ensure annual reports and other tax documents are filed on time so businesses remain compliant.
Among Northwest Registered Agent's many strengths, we found their US-based customer support team to be their strongest feature.
The Northwest Registered Agent customer support team comprises former attorneys, accountants, small business owners, and entrepreneurs, who have been very responsive, professional, and efficient during our cooperation.
We loved communicating with their registered agent service representatives, and although they may not be the cheapest service and their add-ons tend to be pricey, they will compensate for it with a professional approach, great customer service, and no-pressure upsells, which is why we recommend them.
- Registered agent services ($125/year): You will get a physical street address and they will forward the mail to you. Additionally, they offer lifetime professional assistance, pre-filled state paperwork, annual report notices, and more.
- LLC Formation (starts at $39 + $205 State Fee): Includes a free year of high-quality registered agent services, operating agreement, articles of organization, and more.
- Personal information privacy
- Personalized and excellent customer support
- Over 20 years of experience
- Transparent fees
- No-charge registered agent service (1 year) with formation package purchase
2 - ZenBusinessWould you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness offers a stand-alone registered agent service.
It costs $199 and is one of the most affordable prices on the list. Their basic package includes user-friendly software and personalized customer support.
They offer an upgraded option for an extra fee which we found helpful, particularly for beginners. It saved us a lot of time and covered all our queries.
ZenBusiness comes with affordable plans and extended customer support hours. During our testing, this feature turned out to be very beneficial during the weekends.
Their New York registered agent service is an add-on which is why we do not recommend it to those who plan to use this service as part of the LLC formation.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): LLC formation not included, and the registered agent service plan renews annually for the same price.
- ZenBusiness Starter costs ($0 + $205 State Fee): This basic ZenBusiness subscription package covers the usual corporate LLC filing service, which covers name search, and standard filing speed (2 to 3 weeks). Starter offers 100% accuracy guarantee, and optional worry-free compliance free for a first year. If you opt for this feature, you can expect to meet the deadlines for your state-required annual report. In practice, this means that if you miss a deadline, you will get help into compliance.
- ZenBusiness Pro ($199 + $205 State Fee): ZenBusiness Pro package provides the fastest ''rush'' filing speed of 1 to 2 business days on average. This swift feature is upgraded with an EIN for all legal matters, and an operating agreement for better organized internal processes and protection. With bookkeeping free of charge for a month, this package helps with tax savings and makes tax time easier.
- ZenBusiness Premium ($349 + $205 State Fee): Their premium membership plan incorporates features from Pro plan and adds business document templates for faster bureaucracy. Since paperwork tend to be time-consuming, these templates make paperwork efficient. Also, you get a customizable business website with a ready-to-use website and e-mail address.
- Simple and low-cost price structure
- Chat support has extended hours
- Money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Worry-free compliance alerts
- Lack of brand exposure
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
New York has one of the highest LLC filing fees among the states. So, if you want to cut your startup costs, consider IncFile, which provides free LLC formation in New York and agent services.
They will help you with submitting your articles of incorporation, and offer a New York registered office.
Based on our experience, they are trustworthy enough to take care of managing the service of business and any other legal paperwork on your account.
Despite offering free services, IncFile guarantees a reliable service, although their turnaround time could be faster.
We loved their easy-to-use online dashboard, but we did find their customer support to be limited and missing live chat support with any plan.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): Their New York registered agent service has a customizable Dashboard that makes it simple to view your papers online.
- LLC Formation: (starts from $0 + $205 State Fee): You only have to pay the $205 New York filing fee due for the first year.
- LLC Certificate of Publication Service: Incfile does not currently offer this service.
- Has a registered agent dashboard
- Free year of agent services with formation packages
- Quick turnaround orders
- There are no unstated costs
- Support options are limited
4 - LegalZoom
Similar to Rocket Lawyer, LegalZoom provides legal services all under one roof.
What sets them apart is that LegalZoom has already established a prominent name in the LLC formation and registered agent service industry and comes in a higher service fee.
Their registered agent service offers unlimited cloud storage, company data security, and a compliance calendar.
LegalZoom is ideal for anyone looking for a more premium registered agent service than some other providers offer.
We loved their tax advice and annual business evaluation and found their 60-day money-back satisfaction guarantee to be reassuring that they knew what is best for our business.
- Registered Agent Services ($299): Should you be interested in establishing your LLC with their registered agent assistance, expect to pay $249 for the first year and $299 upon renewal.
- Basic LLC Formation (starts at $0 + $205 State Fee): This New York registered agent package provides a comprehensive digital welcome kit for LLCs, an extensive search, necessary articles of organization, and a WIX-designed website.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($249 + $205 State Fee): You'll get all Basic plan features, preliminary consultations on taxes and insurance, EIN registration, a guide to obtaining business licenses, and an operating agreement.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $205 State Fee): This New York registered agent plan includes all Pro plan features plus personal guidance from a reputable local attorney. The package also comes with regular updates on your LLc document and an unrestricted 30-minute consultation with an attorney within the first 3 months of your subscription.
- Has a high customer volume in New York
- Offers wide a variety of legal services
- Great brand power
- Mediocre customer reviews
- No registered agent included with LLC formations
5 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is an online legal services provider that aims to resolve all your business formation and legal needs, including agent services.
They offer a free seven-day trial period of their premium membership, where clients can access all of their features before committing to the full subscription.
While testing this product we were almost charged extra so be careful about the trial period, as they will auto-bill.
Rocket Lawyer has extensive experience and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
From our experience, they may be a bit pricey if you don't need legal forms or a lawyer. Since we needed a lawyer this was a much better option than hiring an independent lawyer.
- Registered Agent Services ($149.99 for non-members): It also includes online legal document storage and Certificate of Formation submission. Charged annually. A $39.99 monthly membership will give you a %25 discount for the registered agent service.
- LLC Formation ($99.99 + $205 State Fee): They won't charge you for an LLC formation if you are e member ($39.99 monthly). Apart from the multiple services included, you will also get a %25 discount on the registered agent service.
- LLC Certificate of Publication Service: Rocket Lawyer does not currently offer this registered agent service.
- Subscription-based pricing for their New York registered agents
- Provides legal documents
- Provides support from legal experts
- Limited features
- Free trial requires credit card
6 - Harbor Compliance
While Harbor Compliance is not authorized to provide legal advice, they provide one of the most comprehensive registered agents in all states, including formation and agent services.
They offer add-on features that are absent in their basic and premium packages, such as the service of publishing a notice in a newspaper.
One of the highest-rated registered agent services nationwide, Harbor Compliance offers multi-year discounts and comprehensive services for LLCs in multiple states.
A Better Business Bureau A+ rating speaks to their commitment to excellence.
While working with Harbor Compliance has some benefits, such as single-day processing time and great customer support, we did find their website to be a little outdated.
This registered agent company truly values your privacy, so they never give away their data to third parties.
- Registered Agent Services ($88-$99/year): This New York service includes no-charge document scanning, same-day digital delivery of documents, customizable alerts, and more. Discounts are available for bulk orders.
- LLC Formation (Starts at $399 + $205 State Fee): Check if your proposed LLC name is available, and prepare and file the article of organization in your name.
- LLC Certificate of Publication Service: Currently, they offer this service as an add-on.
- Has same-day digital delivery
- Has automatic process
- Free registered agent service in New York service with a formation package
- Pricing is expensive
- Customer support needs improvement
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Registered Agent Service in New York?
Working with a New York registered agent service can save you from the time-consuming, costly, and frustrating business formation and maintenance process. Below is more detailed information :
1. Personal Assets Protection
Members of an LLC are not personally liable for the debts of the business, including debts incurred due to lawsuits filed against your LLC.
This means a business creditor cannot seize an LLC member's assets, such as their home, car, and bank accounts .
Professional registered agents will handle all the tedious paperwork of LLC formation and representation. This includes filing LLC documents and annual reports, assisting in publication, and managing due dates.
This way, you can streamline your operations and focus on growth, leaving administrative tasks to a registered agent service.
3. Maintains Privacy
Rather than exposing your address in the public record, your New York registered agent will provide the registered office address for your LLC.
This means that all service processes will be served to that address during regular business hours, so there is no chance you will receive them in front of your family members, customers, or friends .
4. Flexible Tax Options
LLCs have the most flexibility regarding how they will be taxed under federal law. A single-member LLC can be taxed as a sole proprietorship, an S corporation, or a C corporation.
Meanwhile, a multiple-member LLC can be taxed as a partnership, an S corporation, or a C corporation.
If you aren't satisfied with your current registered agent, you can easily learn how to replace an LLC registered agent in New York.
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost in New York?
The cost of a New York registered agent service can range from $50-$300 annually. Hiring an experienced registered agent is a worthwhile investment.
It can save you time and energy by helping you form your LLC business and take care of other legal requirements, such as filing reports and monitoring due dates and renewals.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent?
Companies and individuals in New York must be at least 18 years old with a physical New York address and available during standard business hours can become registered agents for local LLCs.
However, suppose you are still unsure who to appoint as your own registered agent. In that case, you have four options:
- Option 1: Select yourself as your LLC's registered agent.
- Option 2: Designate your LLC as the registered agent.
- Option 3: Assign any family member or friend you trust
- Option 4: Employ a New York registered agent company.
Do I Need a Registered Agent for My LLC?
Yes, you need a registered agent for your LLC. Otherwise, the New York Secretary of State will reject the LLC formation filing.
What Does a New York Registered Agent Do?
A New York registered agent do is to act as the point of contact for your business. This means they are responsible for receiving service of process, like legal notice of a lawsuit and legal documents from the Secretary of State on behalf of your LLC.
Can I Act as My Own New York Registered Agent?
Yes, you can act as your own registered agent in New York, which means you will receive all official documents on the company's behalf.
Can I Use the Registered Agent Office Address as My New York Business Address?
No, you cannot use the registered agent's office address as your New York business address. Generally, it is only meant to receive official government documents relevant to your business entity.
Can I Use a PO Box for My LLC in New York?
Yes, you can use a PO Box for your LLC as an LLC member. On the other hand, your own registered agent must have a physical address.
Can I Use a Virtual Address for My New York LLC?
Yes, you can use a virtual address for your LLC.
How Much Is the Fee to Start an LLC in New York?
The cost to start an LLC for an Article of Organization is $200. You need to publish your LLC in two newspapers within 120 days of formation. The Certificate of Publication and affidavits of publication must be submitted to the New York Department of State, the filing fee is $50.
And the Best Registered Agent Service in New York is...
Starting an LLC is relatively costly, but several requirements exist. If you want a registered agent service offering the LLC Certificate of Publication, we recommend you pick Northwest Registered Agent.
Northwest Registered Agent is the top registered agent service as it offers reliable services and responsibly takes care of your legal documents and annual reports so that you can focus on your business strategies and growth.
We appreciated how committed they were to protecting our business privacy.
The US-based customer support team is always available for all your problems during the formation and growth of your business entity.
For these reasons, Northwest Registered Agent stood out from the rest to become our recommended choice.