How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Mississippi (Guide)
Before your LLC can benefit from the advantages of your company's structure, it is important to determine the timeframe for the SOS to review and approve your application, including the LLC articles of organization.
Since I'm an LLC expert with over a decade of practice in the business industry, I navigated the Secretary of State's official website to provide you with the proper steps to follow and corresponding documents to submit.
Here's what you should anticipate regarding LLC formation and processing time in the state of Mississippi.
- It can take up to 24 hours to form an LLC in Mississippi through online application. Filing by mail is not available in the state.
- The Secretary of State doesn't offer expedited processing for domestic and foreign LLC formation documents in Mississippi.
- The Mississippi SOS rolled out a new filing system that allows online submissions for all business forms.
- A client of mine filed for an LLC in Mississippi and the business was approved almost immediately.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Mississippi?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Mississippi is online application, which takes only a few minutes and may take 24 hours.
Online filing for Mississippi LLCs can be done on the SOS Business Services homepage. You must register a user account using your legal name, business email, and physical address .
Select the articles of organization and continue to fill out the necessary details, then pay the state fees.
All state fee payments for company filings can be made online using a credit card (Visa, American Express, MasterCard, and Discover), e-check or ACH account.
LLC Processing Time in Mississippi
The Mississippi SOS doesn't offer other filing methods for submitting your registration papers.
Initially, LLC owners could submit their incorporation documents via mail, but after launching the new online filing system on August 25, 2014, the SOS canceled mail and physical paper submissions .
Here is the filing method the SOS offers and the processing period for an LLC.
1. Mississippi LLC Processing Time Online
Online LLC filings can be approved immediately once payment is confirmed, but some documents can take up to 24 hours to be processed.
Filing online in Mississippi is excellent because there's no additional transit period, and business owners get their LLC paperwork approved in less time.
2. Expedited Mississippi LLC Processing Time Online or By Mail
Since all business filings are done online and processed almost immediately, the Secretary of State doesn't offer expedited services.
See our article for more information about the cost to start an LLC in Mississippi.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Mississippi LLCs
Although documents filed online are processed immediately, several reasons can prolong the formation timeline, which includes the following:
- Processing errors: Since registration is done online, website downtime, network issues and other processing errors could delay the approval time.
- Document issues: The time it takes to correct inaccuracies in your LLC formation papers will prolong the overall process. That’s why I advise clients to always review the documents before submitting online.
- Weekends and holidays: Since the state doesn’t conduct business during this time, your formation papers are processed the next business day.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in Mississippi
- How to Change an LLC name in Mississippi
- How to File an LLC Annual Report in Mississippi
Is Mississippi an Ideal State For an LLC?
Mississippi is an ideal state for an LLC because of the low formation cost, faster processing time, and favorable tax climate.
How Much Does It Cost To Get an LLC in Mississippi?
It costs $50 to get an LLC in Mississippi, which covers your Articles of Incorporation, and is payable to the Secretary of State.
Should You Hire an LLC Service in Mississippi?
An LLC service provider will help you through the process of starting a business. That’s why we recommend hiring these best LLC formation services in Mississippi to handle the tedious filing for you.
They offer integrated LLC service packages suitable for any business. Plus, you'll also get added benefits, such as website design, premium registered agent service, and ongoing compliance with state business laws.