A Mississippi LLC offers numerous benefits, including pass-through taxation and simple formation and management.
While you and your partners may want to reap these benefits as quickly as possible, knowing how long the SOS takes to review and approve your LLC articles of organization is essential.
Working with our LLC experts and business advisors with over twelve years of experience in the industry, we've researched the Secretary of State’s official website for accurate processing times of different registration papers.
Here's what you should anticipate regarding LLC formation and processing time in the state of Mississippi.
- Online LLC formation is approved immediately but can take up to 24 hours.
- As of August 25, 2014, the Mississippi SOS rolled out a new filing system that allows online submissions for all business forms.
- The Secretary of State doesn't offer expedited processing for domestic and foreign LLC formation documents in Mississippi.
How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Mississippi?
It takes a few minutes to form an LLC in Mississippi online after payment is confirmed.
However, certain registration documents can take up to 24 hours to be reviewed and approved by the Mississippi SOS staff.
The Mississippi SOS doesn't offer other filing methods for submitting your registration papers.
Initially, LLC owners could submit their incorporation documents via mail, but after launching the new online filing system on August 25, 2014, the SOS canceled mail and physical paper submissions.
Additionally, since all business filings are done online and processed almost immediately, the SOS doesn't offer expedited services.
Mississippi LLC Processing Time
The LLC processing time accounts for the time the Secretary of State takes to evaluate and process your incorporation documents.
Here is the filing method the SOS offers and the processing period for an LLC.
1. Online Filings
On August 25, 2014, the Mississippi Secretary of State launched a new filing system that allowed business owners to file all their registration paperwork online .
Online filing for Mississippi LLCs can be done on the SOS Business Services homepage.
Once on the page, you must register a user account using your legal name, business email, and physical address.
The SOS will email you a temporary password that you can use to set up your own password later on.
Log in using your credentials and click the "Business Filings" tab .
Select the articles of organization and continue to fill out the necessary details, then pay the state fees.
All state fee payments for company filings can be made online using a credit card (Visa, American Express, MasterCard, and Discover).
If you don't have a credit card, you can use an e-check or ACH account.
To open an ACH account, download (ACH FORM.pdf), fill it out, then submit or email it to the Mississippi Secretary of State at the address on the form.
Online LLC filings can be approved immediately once payment is confirmed. But some documents can take up to 24 hours to be processed.
When filing your documents online, ensure you include a valid email address.
The SOS will mail all approved or rejected paperwork to your email.
Additionally, you'll receive a certified copy of the certificate of formation plus the payment invoice through that email.
When a document is submitted for a firm, an email notification is sent to the company's email address and any additional emails linked with the company profile.
This is a step the Secretary of State’s office takes to minimize fraudulent activities on the online platform: this way, an unauthorized person cannot file your company documents without you being notified.
Filing online in Mississippi is excellent because there's no additional transit time, and business owners get their LLC paperwork approved in less time.
See our article for more information about the cost to start an LLC in Mississippi.
Steps To Start an LLC in Mississippi
Here's a rundown of the ten steps to start a limited liability company in the Mississippi Department.
- Step 1: Perform a Mississippi LLC name search and pick an LLC name that meets all Mississippi naming guidelines.
- Step 2: Designate a Mississippi registered agent service, a company, or an individual authorized to handle legal papers and correspondence on behalf of your corporation.
- Step 3: Get a North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code corresponding to your LLC's business type.
- Step 4: File your certificate of formation to the secretary of state and pay the state fees.
- Step 5: Draft a Mississippi LLC operating agreement to govern how the entity transacts in this state.
- Step 6: Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website to file tax returns, pay income taxes, and open a business bank account.
- Step 7: Open a business bank account for your LLC income.
- Step 8: As per the business law in Mississippi, file an LLC annual report before the end of April 15.
- Step 9: Obtain a state or municipal business license, depending on the nature of your entity and the location of the business.
- Step 10: Register the LLC with the Mississippi Department of Revenue if you plan to collect sales taxes on tangible products or have employees.
Is Mississippi an Ideal State For an LLC?
Yes, Mississippi is an ideal state for an LLC because of the low formation cost, faster processing time, and favorable tax climate.
How Much Does It Cost To Get an LLC in Mississippi?
It costs $50 to get an LLC in Mississippi. This LLC cost is for processing your registration documents (articles of organization) and is payable to the Secretary of State.
Should You Hire an LLC Service in Mississippi?
The legal procedures and filing expenses associated with forming an LLC in Mississippi can be daunting.
This is why we recommend hiring these best LLC formation services in Mississippi to handle the tedious filing for you.
While working with professional services will not have your LLC approved faster, it is a wise decision if you want to register your Mississippi LLC correctly and prevent costly blunders.
These LLC formation services offer integrated LLC service packages with many options suitable for any business size and budget. Plus, with these companies, you'll also get added benefits, such as website design, premium registered agent service, and ongoing compliance.