How Long Does It Take To Form An LLC In Utah? (Full Guide)
If you plan to start a Utah LLC, you probably have questions about the filing process and how long it will take to form a limited liability company in this state.
Since I’ve been helping clients form LLCs in different states for over a decade, I’m familiar with the processing times and the requirements you need to start an LLC in the state.
Furthermore, these leading LLC formation services in Utah can guide you through the entire process of initiating your corporation in Utah and expedite the proceedings.
In this article, we will review the amount of time it takes to start a limited liability company in Utah using different filing methods.
- It takes 2 to 3 weeks to form an LLC in Utah if you filed by mail and 1 day if you applied online.
- Utah offers expedited processing by mail for an additional fee of $75. It takes 1 to 2 business days for the application to be approved.
- You can also file your documents by fax, which takes at least 2 business days to be approved.
- Based on experience, I learned that there are several factors that affect the formation time for Utah LLCs – volume of application, documentation issues, time of the year and weekends or holidays.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Utah?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Utah is by filing online. The application is processed within 24 hours.
Once your LLC is approved, you can directly download all your documents from the state website, including your organization certificate.
There is no additional wait to get the documents for your Utah LLC when you submit online.
You file at the One Stop Business Registration Site for Utah and pay the state filing fee of $54 .
LLC Processing Time in Utah
The processing time for Utah LLCs will depend on the method of filing. You can file your limited liability company via mail, online, or fax.
1. Expedited Utah LLC Processing Time By Mail (1-2 Business Days)
Utah offers expedited processing for an additional $75 state fee.
This fee expedites filing and guarantees your request will be processed within 1 to 2 two business days. Expedited processing fees need to be paid in addition to the state fees .
2. Non-Expedited Utah LLC Processing Time By Mail (2-3 Weeks)
If you form a foreign LLC or domestic LLC in Utah, standard filing by mail typically takes two to three weeks to get approved.
The actual filing takes around 3 to 7 business days, with additional processing time for your prior written consent and all paperwork necessary to form your LLC to be sent to you by mail.
Note that the Secretary of State office will process the documents depending on the order they were received.
3. Utah LLC Processing Time Online (1 Business Day)
When forming an LLC online, you can expect the application to be processed within 24 hours. I always advise my clients to file online to save time.
4. Utah LLC Processing By Fax (2 Business Days)
If you file your documents by fax with the state's office, you can expect the LLC processing time to occur within two business days.
Factors Influencing the Formation Timeline of Utah LLCs
There are certain factors that affect the processing times for Utah LLCs. These include the following:
- Volume of application: Since paper submissions are reviewed manually to ensure compliance with state laws, the processing time for paper submissions may be extended.
- Documentation problems: Documents lacking or having inaccurate information will prolong the formation process.
- Time of the year: I remember filing at the end of the year. Expedited mail service took longer than usual because most businesses file or renew their application at the beginning or end of the year.
- Weekends and holidays: Since public offices don’t conduct business during weekends and holidays, the formation process is delayed.
Is Utah A Good State To Create An LLC In?
Utah is a good state to create an LLC in. Compared to other states, Utah has a low cost of filing for LLCs at just $54. Annual reports are also only $20 per year, so it's overall a low-cost state to create an LLC in.
Do I Need An Operating Agreement For Utah?
You don't need an operating agreement for Utah. However, it is recommended that you have one to protect both your business as well as your personal risk and liability.
Do I Need A Business License For An LLC In Utah?
You need a business license for an LLC in Utah. You should apply for a license on the county or city where your LLC is located.