To start an LLC in Colorado, you must hire a competent Colorado registered agent service. The registered agent will ensure that your business stays on top of compliance laws and get a good standing with the Colorado secretary of state.
As a seasoned business professional with over a decade of experience in LLC formation and compliance, I understand the importance of hiring a competent registered agent service in Colorado.
Having started and managed several successful LLCs in the state, I know the ins and outs of navigating the complex regulatory landscape of Colorado.
We spent months researching and testing the best Colorado registered agents and compared them side-by-side to see which one provides top-drawer service features at a reasonable price.
Here's a complete roundup of the best Registered agents in Colorado you can hire.
Top 8 Registered Agent Services in Colorado (October 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest Registered Agent is our top-choice agent in Colorado providing excellent service features.
They have many years of industry experience and an excellent reputation for customer service.
We rank this service top because they have a team of lawyers and CPAs dedicated to providing the best-registered agent service to their clients.
We tried Northwest Registered Agent service for the past several months, and we’ve been delighted with their services.
Drawing from our experience, their Colorado-registered agents were friendly and knowledgeable about all aspects of business registration in Colorado.
Whenever we experienced difficulties with the LLC formation process, their outstanding and prompt customer support team was all hands on deck.
Get a better grasp of this company's capabilities by exploring the full review of Northwest Registered Agent.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): The first year of registered agent service is free if you choose Northwest to incorporate your LLC.
- LLC Formation Service - Basic Plan ($39 + $1 State Fee): This includes Articles of Organization, operating agreement, 1-year registered agent service at no cost, and standard and expedited processing speeds available.
- LLC Formation Service - Full Service ($225 + $1 State Fee): With this package, you can get same business day filing, a full year of registered agent service, free limited mail forwarding, an operating agreement, and access to helpful forms and tools available in your personal client account.
- They prioritize client data privacy
- Dependable and efficient customer support team
- 20 years of experience
- No hidden fees
- Free Colorado registered agent is part of the formation package
- Not the most economical price point for a registered agent
2 - ZenBusinessWould you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness is a national registered agent service that provides business entities in Colorado with affordable, reliable, and secure service.
Working with ZenBusiness for 3 months was a bonus to us. They provided access to online account management tools for us to see when new mail arrives at all times from anywhere.
We also appreciated that they handled mail forwarding and management duties at no extra cost.
With their services, you can ensure that your business has a Colorado-registered agent who can provide the necessary documentation for filing paperwork.
For a deeper understanding of this organization, we encourage you to read our comprehensive review of ZenBusiness.
- ZenBusiness Registered Agent ($199/year): The annual renewal cost of $199 is a postponed payment that must be given once the company has been lawfully formed.
- Starter LLC Formation Package ($0 + $50 State Fee): This package provides expense and deduction tracking, a 100% accuracy guarantee, and standard filing speed (2 - 3 weeks). As part of the package, you'll enjoy a 1-month free trial of our Banking and Bank Account services at just $5/month afterward. The package also comes with Money Pro Bookkeeping ($30/month) and Website Builder ($15/month) after a 1-month trial period. Additionally, you have the option for worry-free compliance, free for the first year, and at $199/year if you choose to continue.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($199 + $50 State Fee): This package gives you access to all Starter package features, rush filling speed (1-2 days), a guided operating agreement at $99 and an EIN.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($349 + $50 State Fee): The premium package offers you a combination of all Pro package features plus a domain name, email address, business document templates, as well as a customizable business website.
- Affordable and not complicated registered agent pricing structures
- Customer support chats extend beyond business hours
- Exceptional customer feedback
- Money-back guarantee for 60 days
- Limited advanced features
3 - IncFile Registered AgentWould you recommend IncFile Registered Agent?
IncFile registered agent service is best for legal and accounting services in small businesses.
We recommend this registered agent company due to its flexible and affordable options for managing and filing legal documents in Colorado.
In our 3 months of experience with IncFile, they gave us a Colorado registered agent responsible for receiving legal notices and communications on behalf of our company.
This is a massive plus if privacy is your priority.
- Registered Agent Service ($119): If formed using an LLC creation package, it is free for the first year. The renewal fee will be $119 every year after the first year.
- Silver LLC Formation Service Package ($0 + $1 State Fee): All Colorado registered agent packages include one year of free professional registered agent service. It includes unlimited name searches and Articles of organization.
- Gold LLC Formation Service Package ($199 + $1 State Fee): This package offers an array of features, including everything Silver Package features plus EIN Business Tax Number, IRS Form 2553, operating agreement, banking resolution, lifetime company alerts, online access dashboard, business banking account, and business tax consultation.
- Platinum LLC Formation Service Package ($299 + $1 State Fee): The Platinum package includes everything the Gold Package offers, plus a few added elements such as business contract templates, free next-day filing, and domain name + business email.
- Effective online dashboard system
- Swift order processing system
- No hidden fees involved
- A complete year of free registered agent service in all formation packages
- Slower response times
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer commercial registered agent service provider is a great option for Colorado businesses.
We put them to the test and we were very satisfied with the results. They will offer you a free consultation and walk you through the entire process.
They got our Articles of Incorporation signed by a licensed attorney in a timely manner, created our corporate seal, and filed all the paperwork with the Secretary of State.
Rocket Lawyer also offers a free 7-day trial of their packages. The package helps you consult with a lawyer and get legal counsel pertaining to your LLC business entity.
- Registered Agent Service ($149.99 for non-members): A 25% discount applies for members, meanwhile, membership costs $39.99 a month.
- LLC Formation Package($99.99 + $1 State Fee): You can benefit from free legal documents, attorney services, free Colorado LLC formation services, and 25% off registered agent service. Get it for free with a $39.99 membership per month.
- 7 day free trial
- No hidden fees
- The service is easy to use
- The service is not available in all states
- Expensive membership
5 - MyCompanyWorks
MyCompanyWorks ensures that your business complies with state requirements. Through their budget registered agent services, they offer a layer of privacy between you and your company.
We sought their services and had an outstanding experience. Their online updating of a forwarding address was easy. We also received instant notifications.
MyCompanyWorks is also an excellent option to change an existing registered agent in Colorado. They will provide you with an easy-to-fill online form with the necessary fees.
The company also has a 90-day refund policy that covers you if you're dissatisfied.
- Registered Agent Service ($99/year): The Entrepreneur Package and the Complete Package feature a free first year of registered agent service.
- Basic LLC Formation Package ($59 + $1 State Fee): This package offers unique inclusions, such as a free logo, $250,000+ in Rewards and Startup Discounts, a free e-book, a startup wizard, and lifetime access to the Vendor Network. However, no Colorado registered agent services are provided for this basic package.
- The Entrepreneur LLC Formation Package ($179 + $1 State Fee): It includes the Basic Package, in addition to MyCompanyForms lifetime forms and tax guide, federal tax ID, and free registered agent service.
- The Complete LLC Formation Package ($259 + $1 State Fee): This package provides entrepreneurs with all the features the Basic and Entrepreneur Packages have, plus MyCompanyWorks premium.
- 90-day refund policy
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Provides startup guideline online app
- The basic package excludes Colorado registered agent
- Higher prices for add-ons
6 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance offers a suite of services tailored to meet the needs of Colorado business owners.
Their team of experienced professionals can assist with entity formation, annual filings, and ongoing compliance.
We've had the pleasure of working with their customer service team, and we can honestly say that they are very well-versed in the intricacies of business formation and compliance.
We also loved their user-friendly platform.
Harbor Compliance is a good choice if you're looking to make your business' service with the state stress-free and cost-effective.
Here is our complete review of Harbor Compliance.
- Registered Agent Service ($88): Yearly rates range from $89 to $99 per state, with no other expenses. If you pay for registered agent services in advance for more than two years, you can save 5-10%.
- LLC Formation Package (starts at $99 + $1 State Fee): This package covers checking for name availability as well as completing and filing your articles of incorporation with the state.
- Exceptional support for customers
- Great track record
- No physical office or storefront for walk-ins
- Fewer services
7 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom is one of Colorado's most well-known and established registered agent companies.
The registered agent company caught our attention due to its high ratings across online review sites.
As a customer, I appreciated their competitively priced services and how simple it was to set up my business.
Their registered agent service offers a comprehensive package that made establishing my Colorado LLC a breeze. They even offered us personalized tax advice.
The company also provides Colorado registered agent packages for its clients in all 50 states, including Colorado.
Another thing that makes LegalZoom stand out is that they are also a full-service law firm and can help you with virtually any legal need during normal business hours.
- Registered Agent Services ($299/year): You'll pay $249 in the first year to form an LLC with them, then renew services at $299. The services offered include 1 million dollars worth of identity theft protection, email alerts, and a Compliance calendar.
- Basic LLC Formation Package ($0 + $1 State Fee): This package equips entrepreneurs with a name search service, a digital welcome packet, and a WIX-powered website for a professional online presence.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($249 + $1 State Fee): The Pro package includes everything the Basic package has, an EIN, an operating agreement, initial tax saving consultations, and an in-depth guide on business licensing.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $1 State Fee): You'll get all the features on the Pro package, with a 30-minute unlimited attorney consultation and applied updates on LLC formation documents within the first 90 subscription days. The package also has a hands-on tailored guide from a professional Colorado business attorney.
- Includes all the necessary forms and instructions for Colorado registration
- Low price point compared to other options
- 60-days guaranteed return policy
- Limited to certain states
- Expensive Colorado registered agent
8 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings make starting an LLC, corporation, or other business easy and fast.
Their efficient registered agent process only required me to answer a few simple questions, after which they took care of all the other paperwork.
In just 10 minutes, we were able to get our new LLC up and running.
Swyft Filings impressed us with its prompt system of forwarding documents to our designated address while maintaining a physical address in Colorado for official notices and filings.
They also provided unlimited faxing services through their website or mobile app, which proved to be very convenient.
The registered agent company also has automated reminders and a dedicated business service consultant to answer questions.
Access comprehensive details about this company by referring to the Swyft Filings review page.
- Registered Agent Service ($99): Quarterly subscription.
- The Basic LLC Formation Service Package ($0 + $1 State Fee): Possibility to file the articles of organization to form an LLC.
- The Standard LLC Formation Service Package ($199 + $1 State Fee): Besides everything included in the basic package, the Standard Package from LLC formation service includes a Federal Tax ID (EIN) and documents needed to start a business, such as banking resolution and operating agreement.
- LLC Formation Service - The Premium Package ($299 + $1 State Fee): Includes all features mentioned in the previous packages, plus FedEx delivery of state documents, customized digital LLC kit, and business website and web hosting.
- Free legal advice
- 24/7 customer support
- No setup fees, hidden fees
- No physical office location in Colorado
- No Colorado registered agent service included in the formation plan
The Advantages of Hiring a Registered Agent Service in Colorado
1. Reduced Noncompliance
Your business may have to comply with state laws and regulations. Compliance failure can lead to fines or even criminal charges against your company.
Hiring your own registered agent in Colorado can reduce the risk of noncompliance with state regulations. The agents will provide reminders of upcoming filing deadlines, allowing you to stay on top of your legal obligations.
You can free up your time and resources by hiring a Colorado-registered agent service. You won't have to worry about keeping up with important notices or filing documents with the state.
Your Colorado registered agent will make document organization and filing a breeze so you can focus on other aspects of your business.
3. Privacy in Businesses
When you use a Colorado registered agent service, your business's ownership and management structure are kept confidential.
This means that when filing documents with the Secretary of State or another agency, they will not be able to see who owns or runs your business .
4. Documents Organization
Having your own registered agent provides you with an efficient way to keep all of your legal documents organized. They will ensure that all your documents are filed correctly and on time and that all your records are up-to-date.
These registered agent companies will also provide you with the necessary documents for filing with the state and be able to answer any questions you may have about the process.
5. One Colorado Registered Agent for Multiple Jurisdictions
Having one Colorado registered agent can streamline the process of managing your multiple businesses or corporations.
This will save you time and money as you won't have to keep track of different Colorado registered agents in different jurisdictions.
What Is the Cost of Your Own Registered Agent in Colorado?
The cost of your own registered agent in Colorado varies by provider but typically ranges from $49 to $299 per year. This registered agent price range differs depending on the service you're using, their packages, and add-on costs.
What Are the Conditions for Becoming a Colorado Registered Agent?
The Colorado Corporations and Associations Act require a registered agent to meet the following qualifications:
- A legal Colorado resident or corporation providing registered agent services within the state
- A physical office with a Colorado address
- Take care of any pertinent documents during working hours
- The individual must be 18 or older to serve as a registered agent in Colorado
How We Selected Our Top 8 Colorado Registered Agent Services
When selecting our top 8 registered agent services in Colorado, we paid careful attention 4 crucial factors of each potential service below:
To ensure we found the most cost-effective services, we compared the prices of each provider and considered the features offered for the respective costs.
We also paid attention to the discounts they offer and any available promotional deals.
This way, we offered complimentary services to small and medium businesses.
2. Service Features
Colorado registered agents we selected to offer the best service features without adding unnecessary vanity features to claim to be affordable.
3. Customer Support
When evaluating customer support, we wanted to ensure that each of your own registered agent services offered helpful, timely, and reliable assistance.
We looked at the hours of operation, the types of customer support available (e.g., phone, email, chat), and the responsiveness of the customer service team.
4. Turnaround Time
Our decision was heavily influenced by the turnaround time because it will speed up Colorado LLC's processing time. So, we looked at the average, and maximum time it took for each service to process a document.
We also researched customer feedback regarding the speed and efficiency of each service.
Ultimately, our list had services that provided the fastest turnaround times and the best customer service.
Do You Need A Registered Agent In Colorado?
Yes, you need a registered agent in Colorado. Colorado has strict laws about the formation of businesses, and it's important to understand them before you start your new business. The registration process includes choosing your own registered agent to receive legal documents on your behalf.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After Starting My Colorado Business?
You hire a registered agent before starting your Colorado Business. Your registered agent is the person or company that will receive documents filings on behalf of your business if it is sued or named in court proceedings.
What Is A Registered Agent's Primary Function In Colorado?
The primary function of a registered agent in Colorado is to accept legal documents and official state notifications on the company’s behalf.
The Best Registered Agent in Colorado Is...
When hiring a registered agent service, it is crucial to ensure they have a proven track record of success in Colorado.
With more than two decades of experience, we recommend Northwest Registered Agent as the best agent with both competitively priced and high-quality services.
We were really impressed with the level of service we received from the company. They provided us with Privacy by Default®, meaning that customers’ data was automatically kept secure and private.
Overall, Northwest Registered Agent has earned the top spot in our ranking due to their outstanding packed service features, excellent customer service, and speedy turnaround.