How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Kansas (Full Guide)
Forming an LLC in Kansas requires that your company file the necessary documents and adhere to the procedures according to the Kansas Secretary of State.
This will ensure that your application will be accepted and processed by the said agency.
As a seasoned Mergers and Acquisitions specialist, I assisted countless clients with business formation. After consulting LLC experts in the state, I’ll provide you with everything you need to know about the formation timeline for Kansas LLCs.
You also have the option to engage with professional LLC formation services in Kansas, who can handle the entire LLC setup process on your behalf.
- It takes 2-3 business days to form an LLC in Kansas by mail, while online filings are processed immediately.
- The state of Kansas does not offer expedited service because electronic submissions are instantly approved.
- Kansas saw a 5.7% increase in business filings between the first nine months of 2022 and 2023.
- In person filings are processed within 2-3 business days.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Kansas?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Kansas is by filing online for immediate approval. However, the approval time may take longer if due to errors in the processing.
When filing your limited liability company online, you can access the Secretary of State business services via KanAccess on the Kansas Business Filing Center .
If you file online, the different payment methods include Visa, Discover, Mastercard, American Express, or electronic checks.
As per Kansas SOS regulations, if you want to pay via an electronic check from a checking account, ensure you list your routing and account numbers at the bottom of the check .
LLC Processing Time in Kansas
According to the US Small Business Administration, between March 2020 and March 2021, Kansas saw the opening of 8,875 new establishments.
Here's a detailed description of each incorporation method the Kansas Secretary of State Business Services provides.
1. Non-Expedited Kansas LLC Processing Time By Mail (2-3 business days)
Standard mail processing takes 2-3 working days plus the extra mailing time.
When mailing the LLC registration documents, I had to attach the state fees as a money order or check payable to the Kansas SOS.
After completing the form, submit your paper documents to:
Kansas Office of the Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 S.W. 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594
Phone: (785) 296-4564
Fax: (785) 296-4570
After approval of the LLC articles of formation, the Kansas SOS will mail it back to your Kansas registered agent service using the regular first-class mail service.
2. Kansas LLC Processing Time Online (Immediate approval)
The Kansas SOS processes online LLC filing almost immediately because there's no additional transit/mailing time. I prefer to file online since the approval time is immediate and it's more convenient.
3. Kansas LLC Processing Time by Fax (1 business day)
Fax filing can take 1 working day to be processed.
When I tried filing through fax, I learned that you have to fax the correct documents with updated information before 4:00 pm CT, so that your LLC will receive that day's filing date.
After approval, you can request a certified/stamped copy to be faxed to you for an additional $1.
4. Kansas LLC Processing Time In Person (2-3 business days)
In-person filing has an LLC processing time of 2-3 business days. Download the articles of formation document online and submit the paperwork to the Secretary of State’s office.
"Timing matters; filing during off-peak periods can expedite the LLC formation process in Kansas."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Kansas LLCs
The LLC processing time may be prolonged due to the following reasons:
- Method of filing: The approval time will primarily depend on the filing method you opted for. Mail application, online submissions, in person and by fax filings have different processing times.
- Volume of application: The volume of transactions will delay the approval time, since the state can’t immediately review and process formation documents during periods with high filing volume.
- Weekends or holidays: The state agency only reviews applications during regular business hours. That’s why I always file on a Monday so that the state can process the document without delay.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Kansas LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Kansas LLC formation during the processing period by contact the Secretary of State’s office or checking your online account.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Kansas?
There's no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Kansas.
How Much Does an LLC in Kansas Cost?
An LLC in Kansas costs $185, which covers the Articles of Organization and the processing fee.