As a business owner, forming your Rhode Island LLC is a big step towards safeguarding your business and personal liability.
To help you hire the best Rhode Island LLC service depending on the type of business you have and what services you need, we reviewed the best services available.
We also consulted our legal team, who helped us rank these services base on key service features, delivery speed, and premium registered agent services.
Let's get started.
Top 7 LLC Formation Services in Rhode Island (February 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
ZenBusiness is known for its affordable, well-rounded business formation services and has made a name for itself in the industry. This business formation service has helped start-up business owners and entrepreneurs nationwide—forming more than 300,000 LLCs.
We love that ZenBusiness offers three LLC formation package tiers for users in the Rhode Island department.
We purchased their most basic one at $39, and it included free registered agent services and a free operating agreement template. As the best Rhode Island LLC, ZenBusiness provides discounts for its other legal services.
- Starter Formation Package ($39): It includes a Free CPA assessment, LLC formation, a registered agent service for a year, and a free operating agreement template.
- Pro Package ($199): Includes the registration for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), VIP processing, handling of annual report filings, and two yearly amendments in this package.
- Premium Package ($299): Adds rush LLC documents filing, business domain name, website email address, and domain privacy.
- Registered Service Agent ($99): Northwest will act as your resident agent's physical address for free for an entire year. The service will then annually be renewed for $119.
- Hassle-free compliance
- Features cost-effective LLC formation packages
- Offer different packages
- Customer feedback online is outstanding
- Speedy turnaround times
- The brand isn’t well known
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Established in 1998, Northwest Registered Agent has carved its name on the map with its top-notch customer support and quality service.
Furthermore, we found the LLC formation packages it provides highly affordable for start-up business owners. Free registered agent service for a year is an added bonus.
With these features, there’s no doubt that Northwest Registered Agent has the best LLC service in Rhode Island.
- Base Formation Package ($39): Includes all the paperwork required to form your Rhode Island LLC and filing of all legal documents.
- Deluxe Package ($179): Includes the services from the Based Formation Package, along with access to an Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Rhode Island Registered Agent Services ($125): Includes a year of free registered agent service plus a business address. It then renews annually for $135.
- Has 20+ LLC service experience
- Value data privacy
- Transparent fees
- Includes a free Rhode Island registered agent service for one year
- Their packages are pricey
3 - IncFile
Creating your Rhode Island LLC with IncFile is a much more affordable choice.
We rank it top because it doesn’t charge business owners for its registered agent services—except for Rhode Island state fees and certification services.
Meanwhile, we contacted their customer service department, and they responded quickly and guided us through our issues.
- Free Silver Package (starts at $0): Includes the formation of your Rhode Island LLC, one year of free registered agent service, and company compliance alerts for a lifetime.
- IncFile Gold ($149): Includes the addition of preparation of operating agreement, banking resolution, and EIN registration.
- Rhode Island Registered Agent Service ($119): Includes free registered agent service for a year. The service then renews annually for $199.
- Has affordable LLC formation services
- Excellent and responsive help desk
- Includes a free Rhode Island registered agent service for a year
- Has formed over 800,000 LLCs
- Has a few upsells and third-party offers.
4 - Rocket Lawyer
We laud Rocket Lawyer’s expertise in LLC formations because it has helped over 25 million businesses since 2008.
One of their main selling points is the affordability of their LLC formation packages, in addition to access to legal counsel from their attorneys.
We tried their free 7-day trial and accessed some features, including downloading legal documents and asking legal questions. Their website interface is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- Formation Package ($39): Includes formation of any LLC plus filing necessary legal documents for your Rhode Island business entity.
- Registered Agent ($125): Here, Rocket Lawyer will be your own registered agent and handle your compliance.
- Many positive reviews
- Huge client base
- Prompt support
- Lower packages are limited
5 - Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings prioritizes faster LLC formation and compliance filing for its clients. Although they don’t have a free registered agent service, this Rhode Island LLC service offers great accounting guidance and consultations.
In our experience, we received timely legal alerts regarding delivery and business reports that ensured we remained in good standing with the state.
- Basic ($49): Includes business formation services, articles of organization, and name search.
- Standard ($149): This comes with business resolutions, organizational minutes, and TIN acquisition.
- Premium ($299): Has everything in the lower packages plus expedited digital document delivery, website, plus an LLC kit.
- Offer accounting consultations
- Affordable packages
- Great refund policy
- No registered agent service
- Many third-party services
6 - MyCompanyWorks
This online LLC formation service has been operating since 2001 and has serviced over clients. We like their affordably priced packages and same-day document delivery.
In our experience, our orders were filed the same day we made the purchase. Note that this turnaround is for all their packages.
Also, their refund policy is reliable in case you’re not satisfied with any of their services.
- Basic ($59): Includes name search, articles of organization, and LLC formation.
- Entrepreneur ($199): Here, you get a business document seal and EIN registration.
- Complete ($279): Has a free Rhode Island registered agent service plus tax consultation sessions.
- Helpful website
- Installment payments available
- Fair prices
- No tracking orders
- No expedited filing in some states
7 - Harbor Compliance
We appreciate that Harbor Compliance handles LLC services for both profit and non-profit business entities in Rhode Island.
With their intuitive website, we easily logged in and followed the commands to get everything we needed.
Although their basic packages are limited, you can get your Limited Liability Company created in less than seven days.
- Formation Package ($99): Comes with LLC creation and personalized operating agreements.
- Software Suite ($540): The suite package has different features like tax license and business records management.
- User-friendly website
- Speedy delivery
- Outstanding customer service
- Limited packages
- Have many upsells
Advantages of Creating an LLC in Rhode Island
Here are four advantages of creating an LLC in Rhode Island .
1. Personal Assets Protection
Creating your Rhode Island LLC protects your liability from personal creditors and debt collectors upon starting your business. Private creditors and debt collectors cannot go after your assets.
2. Pass-Through Taxation
With your Rhode Island business, you will no longer have problems with your business formation taxation. Because by pass-through taxation, the taxes passing through your business will come straight to you as personal income .
3. Less Complexity in Formation and Operation
Rhode Island LLC's formation process and operation are far more straightforward than other large corporations—making it run smoothly.
4. Flexibility in Raising Capital
With your Rhode Island LLC, raising your capital becomes more straightforward, unlike before. In addition, you can add new members without giving them a complete say in management.
Our Selection Process
We selected these best LLC services based on:
1. Service Features
We purchased different packages of the renowned LLC services in Rhode Island to experience the specific services offered in those tiers, like LLC formation, compliance filing, EIN, and TIN registration, among others.
2. Turnaround Times
As for delivery times, we measured how long it took these services to complete and deliver our orders. We ranked them based on how fast the turnarounds were.
3. Customer Support
We contacted the support of these services via chat, email, and phone and rated their response times, professionalism, and problem-solving skills.
We made a side-by-side comparison of the pricing structures of the top LLC services in Rhode Island. We also subscribed to a few plans to see if there’s value for money in these packages.
Rhode Island LLC Formation Process
With these seven easy steps, you can form your Rhode Island LLC:
- Step 1: Choose a name for your Rhode Island LLC
- Step 2: Find a Rhode Island premium registered agent service
- Step 3: Submit the Rhode Island Certificate of Formation
- Step 4: Create a Rhode Island LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 5: Receive your Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Step 6: Choose the type of your LLC in Rhode Island
- Step 7: File your Rhode Island LLC annual report
How Long Does It Take To Form My LLC in Rhode Island?
It takes 2-3 business days to form your LLC in Rhode Island. The service you select, or the volume of papers in the Secretary of State's office, will determine how quickly your Rhode Island LLC will get the approval.
How Much Does It Cost To Create a Rhode Island LLC?
It costs $150 to create a Rhode Island LLC. LLCs must also submit a $50 annual report to the Department of State per Rhode Island's requirements.
Do I Need an LLC Service in Rhode Island?
Yes, you need an LLC Service in Rhode Island, especially if you don't want to deal with all the paperwork involved in the LLC organization procedure.
What Is the Best LLC Service in Rhode Island for You?
To have a smooth and easy LLC formation process, you need to hire a reliable and authentic service provider. Having assessed these seven services, we’ve concluded that ZenBusiness ticked all the boxes.
It is one of the LLC formation service providers that can deliver free Rhode Island registered agent services, and they have proven itself to be reliable in the industry.
To top it all, ZenBusiness offers affordable, excellent, and well-rounded services that may help set up and run your business in compliance with all Rhode Island state rules.