Hiring reliable LLC formation services for your Massachusetts LLC is the smartest way to protect your liabilities from potential debts that may arise later on mid-running your business entity.
To save you from combing through each online LLC formation service in Massachusetts, we have done the heavy lifting for you by testing and reviewing some of the best services in Massachusetts.
We also teamed up with our legal attorneys to get expert insights on the best services to recommend based on price, service features, and customer service.
Let’s get started.
Top 4 Massachusetts LLC Formation Services (February 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
Being on the top of the list, ZenBusiness provides well-rounded, high-quality LLC formation services.
Established only in 2016, this Massachusetts LLC formation service was able to carve its name, despite all the competition in the industry.
In our experience, we received a free evaluation from a professional accountant to assist in setting up bookkeeping, accounting, and tax concerns during our first year of operation.
Additionally, you can purchase a company domain name from ZenBusiness, compare business insurance rates from top companies, and choose the finest business credit cards right from the platform.
A series of alerts to help business owners remember when certain periodic filings are due is one of the other essential things ZenBusiness offers. ZenBusiness is praised for its simple pricing structure, particularly for a-la-carte services.
It is simple to pay for a single service without needing to buy an annual membership.
- Starter Formation Package ($49 excluding state filing fee): This basic LLC formation package includes all LLC services, a Free CPA assessment, a registered agent service for a year, and a free operating agreement template.
- Pro Package ($199): There’s an addition of Employer Identification Number (EIN) Registration for opening a business bank account, VIP processing, certificate of organization, handling of annual reports, and two yearly amendments in this package.
- Premium Package ($299): Includes rush filing, business domain name, website email address, domain privacy, and business assets management.
- Registered Agent Service (starts at $99): A year of free registered agent service for all three of its LLC formation packages is included. The service then will annually be renewed for $119 or $99 a la carte.
- Cost-effective Massachusetts LLC formation services
- A diverse set of packages
- Has outstanding online customer feedback
- Easy compliance processes
- Fast LLC formation
- Low brand awareness
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is considered one of the oldest LLC services companies in the industry.
Established in 1998, they have earned the reputation of being highly dependable in delivering the best LLC services with all the experience and reputation they have built for over two decades.
Their LCC formation packages are highly affordable—as the LCC formation pricing costs $39 for starters and already includes a free year of registered agent services.
They have sufficient internal employees to manage a sizable clientele and their data. As a result, their data privacy is excellent. Northwest doesn't outsource any of its services; hence they are more independent and comprehensive than their rivals.
Northwest Registered Agent specializes in providing registered agent services at a fixed cost.
This LLC service charges a little bit more than others for the registered agent, but since it charges a flat amount, there are no further fees or hidden costs.
- Base Formation Package ($39): Has all the required paperwork to process your Massachusetts LLC; this includes name searches, registration, and filing of all formation documents. In addition, it also includes a 1-year free registered agent.
- Deluxe Package ($179): Including the LLC services from the base formation package, the deluxe package also adds access to an EIN.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): Provides one year of registered agent service free of charge. It then renews annually for $125.
- No hidden LLC services fees
- Includes one year of a registered agent for free
- Has a solid data privacy infrastructure
- They have over 20 years of experience
- Their packages are expensive
3 - IncFile
Incfile was established in Texas in 2004 and has served more than 500,000 users since then. As Incfile's clients, we were given a year of complimentary registered agent service.
The organization offers end-to-end business creation services from establishment to dissolution. The annual reporting of Incfile is another noteworthy aspect that it provides after a year.
The ordering procedure takes no more than ten to fifteen minutes, but we recommend having your essential company data on hand to help you prepare and finish faster.
Incfile saves your work so that you may resume it later if you can't complete the order in one sitting.
Once the LLC formation procedure has been completed, this LLC service batch-ship all your copies and any requested materials.
Additionally, you may go into the Incfile website after purchasing to see how your transaction is progressing. The dashboard serves as a central location where you can access crucial papers at any time.
The third-party offers and a few upsells are the only drawbacks that IncFile has. Nonetheless, it is not a hindrance for IncFile to deliver top-notch Massachusetts LLC services for business owners and entrepreneurs.
- Free Silver Package ($0): Includes the formation of your Massachusetts LLC, one year of registered agent service for free, and company compliance alerts for a lifetime.
- IncFile Gold ($199): In this particular package, there’s an addition of preparation of operating agreement, banking resolution, and EIN registration.
- Platinum Package ($344): includes a free business website and domain name, business contract templates, annual reports, and priority expedited filing.
- Own Registered Agent Service ($199 minus the state filing fee): This service provider package includes a year of free registered agent service for your Massachusetts LLC. The service then renews annually for $199.
- Has a dedicated phone and email customer service team
- Offers budget-friendly pricing for LLC formation services
- Includes free Massachusetts registered agent services for a year
- Offered business formation services to over 800,000 business
- Has a few upsells and third-party offers
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer has serviced more than 25 million consumers since its opening in 2008 and handles many LLC creations and other corporate services.
Rocket Lawyer specializes in business-related papers and contracts, as well as those that guarantee you have the proper documentation to submit to the Secretary of State and other state authorities.
Rocket Lawyer's online help allows you to source, finish, revise, and sign various online legal papers. They assisted us in locating the most relevant reports and guided us through each stage.
On their website, you can locate the pertinent paperwork, download it, and follow a short, step-by-step instruction manual on how to fill it out with all the necessary information.
Their one-time access charge is marginally more expensive than some other providers, but their monthly access rate for their whole catalog is comparable to all other LLC services in Massachusetts.
The unique aspect of Rocket Lawyer's business formation service is its customer support for legal documents. You don't wind up at a support desk with an inexperienced contact center employee when you call.
You communicate with a qualified attorney who can give precise legal counsel.
The customer care personnel we talked with was the kindest and most productive; they are unquestionably highly qualified and offer legally sound advice.
- Non-Member ($99.99): Here, you get name availability search, articles of organization, unlimited phone and email support, and online document storage for your Massachusetts LLC.
- Member ($39.99 monthly): Members under this plan can quickly produce a range of business papers that you can download, print, sign, and distribute as needed. You can also request legal advice from a lawyer and get free 30-minute consultation for each new legal issue.
- Easy-to-use site
- Have professional attorney teams
- Offer a free trial period
- Pricey packages
Advantages of Creating an LLC in Massachusetts
Creating a Limited Liability Company in Massachusetts is beneficial for small business owners. This business structure safeguards a corporation’s liability from possible debts and protects a sole proprietorship's tax flexibility.
Read on for more information on how creating a Limited Liability Company is advantageous for businesses in Massachusetts .
1. Personal Asset Protection
Creating a Massachusetts business ensures your protection from personal creditors upon starting your business. Business creditors cannot go after your personal assets or properties, including your home, vehicle, or bank accounts.
In addition, creating LLC can also protect small business owners and members from potential personal liability incurred by their fellow LLC owners and members .
2. Pass-Through Taxation
By pass-through taxation, your Massachusetts LLC can give you the edge in creating a corporation, especially when it involves taxation. The taxes passing through your business becomes your income.
Your Massachusetts LLC also allows you to simplify managing and minimize your taxes.
As an outcome, your Massachusetts-based LLC is no longer required to pay corporate and personal taxes—giving you an edge over the other large corporations.
3. Less Complexity in Formation and Operation
Creating an LLC in Massachusetts is your best option if you’re tired of regularly dealing with legal documents and paperwork. Its formation process and operation are far more straightforward than other large corporations.
Other than that, your Massachusetts LLC only requires filing articles of organization with the Massachusetts Secretary of the State. And unlike a corporation, an LLC is no longer required to have annual meetings or keep detailed minutes.
4. Flexibility in Raising Capital
Raising your capital becomes more straightforward than if it was established as a sole proprietorship or general partnership with the help of an LLC.
And with your Massachusetts LLC, you can add new members without giving them a complete say in management.
Not only that, but you also cannot accept investments without becoming partners, unlike a sole proprietorship and general partnership.
Our Selection Process
During our selection process, we rounded up these high-quality LLC services based on price, service features, turnaround time, and customer support. Here’s how:
The different LLC formation services all have different pricing structures for their packages. Here, we reviewed the pricing of each service provider to verify if they mirror the value customers receive for their money.
2. Service Features
As far as service features are concerned, we want a provider with more features, even in lower-tier packages.
We purchased different packages from ten service providers and prioritized the one that featured the following: essential LLC formation, certificate of organization, operating agreement, and EIN acquisition, among others.
All these are vital services that any startup company needs to commence operation in Massachusetts.
3. Turnaround Time
A faster order processing time is fundamental when starting an LLC in Massachusetts. To ensure we recommend the speediest service providers, we made different document orders on different websites and rated how soon we received the deliveries.
We selected services with a 1 to 5 business days turnaround.
4. Customer Support
It’s essential to have a prompt support team to help clients navigate the complex LLC formation and running process. Here, we called, emailed, and sent inquiries to different support teams via their contact dashboard.
We then compared how fast support responded to our queries and how in-depth they answered or guided us through.
Massachusetts LLC Formation Process
You can form your Massachusetts LLC by following these seven easy steps:
- Step 1: Create a name for your Massachusetts LLC
- Step 2: Find a Massachusetts registered agent
- Step 3: Submit the Massachusetts Certificate of Formation
- Step 4: Create a Massachusetts LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 5: Receive your Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Step 6: Choose the type of your LLC in Massachusetts
- Step 7: File your Massachusetts LLC annual report
How Long Does It Take To Form My LLC in Massachusetts?
It takes two weeks to form your LLC in Massachusetts. This considers the processing period of 1-2 working days and the time your documents spend in the mail.
How Much Does It Cost To Create a Massachusetts LLC?
It costs $500 to create a Massachusetts LLC. To get your documents processed more quickly, you can pay an expedited service cost of 4.5% ($22.50).
Then on or before the anniversary of the original Certificate of Organization's filing, every LLC must submit an annual report. $500 is required to file.
Do I Need an LLC Service in Massachusetts?
Yes, you need an LLC service in Massachusetts if you don't want to deal with all the paperwork associated with the LLC organization process.
What Is the Best Massachusetts LLC Service for You?
Though numerous Massachusetts LLC formation services may assist you with forming your business, there are only a few of them that can deliver the best LLC services.
After thoroughly reviewing all the important parameters, we’ve concluded that ZenBusiness wins this race. It has all the necessary tools you need to establish and run a successful LLC in Massachusetts at an affordable price.
You’re guaranteed a smooth experience with this bonafide LLC formation service that has incorporated the latest technology in its services and compliance filing processes. This way, you can form your business faster and be up and running in no time.