How Long Does It Take To Form An LLC In New Jersey? (Guide)
As with all states, starting a limited liability company in New Jersey entails legal requirements, processing time, and corresponding costs. Since I have years of experience in Mergers and Acquisitions, I had the opportunity to work with entrepreneurs and guide them through creating new joint organizations.
Collaborating with LLC specialists in the state, we will review how long it takes to create a limited liability company in New Jersey using various filing methods.
An LLC service can help with the online filing of your Certificate of Formation, file any necessary licenses, appoint a registered agent to start an LLC, and keep your LLC in good standing.
These LLC formation services in New Jersey can help you through the process of your LLC's formation from start to finish.
- It takes 2 to 3 weeks to form an LLC in New Jersey by mail and 2 business days if you filed online.
- The state offers expedited service if you filed in person or by FAX, which takes 1 business day (approval time) and costs $25 per document.
- Data from the New Jersey Division of Revenue reveals that over 85% of business registrations, including LLCs, are now submitted online.
- Although there is an established timeframe, there are several reasons that may prolong the approval time.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in New Jersey?
The fastest way to start an LLC in New Jersey is filing in person or by FAX using the expedited service. The state offers three expedited options – same-day processing and 2-hour and 1-hour approval times.
To ensure a quicker turnaround time, I always review the formation papers and ensure all information is accurate and complete.
LLC Processing Time in New Jersey
1. Expedited New Jersey LLC Processing Time In Person or FAX (2-hour approval + $500)
New Jersey only offers expedited service for in person and FAX submissions at a price of $25 per filing .
Here are other expedited options for a quicker turnaround time:
- $50 - Same-day processing (for FAX filing only)
- $500 - 2-hour turnaround time
- $1,000 - 1-hour approval time
When I had to file using the accelerated service, I learned that the fees are priced per document. Although it may seem expensive, the extra fee was worth it considering the processing time was shortened.
2. Non-Expedited New Jersey LLC Processing Time By Mail (7-10 business days)
The actual filing process itself usually takes 7 to 10 business days, but I received the documents in about 2 to 3 weeks due to mailing time.
3. New Jersey LLC Processing Time Online (2 business days)
Data from the New Jersey Division of Revenue reveals that over 85% of business registrations, including LLCs, are now submitted online.
If you filed your LLC online, the state will process your documents within 2 business days.
Once the government agency approved my online application, I was able to download all pertinent business documents, including the articles of organization.
4. New Jersey LLC Processing Time By FAX (9 weeks)
Filing your LLC by fax can take around 9 weeks to process.
In my experience, the state will process your documents within a few days, but it can take a long time to get back to you due to the filing method.
Learn more about the cost of an LLC in New Jersey.
"The time to form an LLC in New Jersey can vary, so early filing is recommended to navigate any state-specific requirements efficiently." - Jon Morgan, CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of New Jersey LLCs
Here are the reasons that may delay the LLC formation process:
- Volume of applications: For standard applications, the state will process the documents in the order they were received. That’s why it takes longer to process formation papers if the state received high volume of applications.
- Documentation issues: Documents with inaccurate or incomplete information will take longer to process. The time it takes to correct the data affects the formation timeline.
- Weekends and holidays: Public offices are not open during weekends and holidays. I always file early in the working week to avoid potential delays.
The New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services reports that less than 10% of LLC filings are rejected or delayed due to incomplete or incorrect information, pointing to the effectiveness of the state's business formation guidance and resources.
Where Can I Check the Status of My New Jersey LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your New Jersey LLC formation during the processing period through the Business Entity Status Report available online.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in New Jersey?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in New Jersey because the application for both entities are completed in the same timeline.