Opening an LLC in Maine may be one of your goals. If so, it's crucial to comprehend the legal procedures for starting a business there. Working with a qualified registered agent is imperative to get your LLC up and going.
The best-registered agent in Maine can reasonably protect your private assets and actively assist you observe the laws of Maine. But it can be very challenging to find and hire a suitable registered agent alone.
So, our team of experienced legal advisors and attorneys conducted extensive research on the top registered agent companies. We were able to identify the best registered agent services in Maine to inform your decision.
Top 6 Best Agent Services in Maine (January 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent Service (Editor's Choice)
Northwest Registered Agent takes pride in their excellent quality of services and competitive pricing. We are confident that they are the most satisfactory agent service in Maine.
Northwest provides top-notch customer service and commits to safeguarding its clients' privacy. Additionally, they take significant measures to guarantee that you stay on top of your state filings.
Other Maine registered agents we tested charged extra for compliance notices and a customized filing calendar, but Northwest's standard service included both.
- Basic package ($125): You can get the most out of the company's Maine registered agent services. This package comes with Privacy by Default®, Local Corporate Guides®, complimentary mail scanning, forwarding, and same-day document scanning in your local area. To open your Maine LLC with Northwest, you must pay a $39 price tag plus the filing fee.
- Registered Agent Service ($0): You should get the first year of your LLC formation package for free! After that, you'll start paying the yearly rate of $125.
- Protection of privacy
- Excellent client service and support
- Well-versed in their 20 years of existence
- Transparent pricing
- An entire year of free registered agent services
- Quite expensive
2 - ZenBusiness
ZenBusiness prides itself on offering excellent customer service and affordable packages. This makes it one of the best commercial registered agent services in Maine.
ZenBusiness provides a low-cost $99 charge for its Maine registered agent services.
With an easy-to-use website, we could utilize their helpful software for tracking and archiving our company's annual reports.
- Registered agent service ($99): Standard registered agent service. Charged annually.
- LLC formation package ($39 + state fee): The formation package includes free registered agents service for a year, after which it is $119 per year. ZenBusiness also has an additional Complete Coverage Upgrade feature, which adds a "Worry-Free Compliance" guaranteeing annual filing report notification services, and two unpaid filing amendments per year.
- Realistic and clear price scheme
- Extended chat customer support
- Has earned positive reviews from customers
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Limited brand recall
3 - Incfile
IncFile is known for its reliable services. They have provided registered agent services to more than 150,000 customers since 2004. Many business owners also find their Learning Center helpful.
International companies can get the primary Maine street address for their business entity via Incfile's virtual mailbox in addition to a commercial registered agent office location.
We found their web dashboard very helpful, easy to understand and use, and they proved very fast in processing services.
- Registered agents service package ($119): Comes with a free LLC formation plus other perks like an easy-to-use registered agent dashboard and email and SMS notifications, so you'll always be in the know.
- LLC formation ($0 + state fee): You only need to pay $145/$175 Maine filing fees for your first year.
- They have a user-friendly platform
- Every formation package comes with a cost-free agent service
- Quick processing of orders
- There are no extra charges
- Has few alternatives for assistance
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom provides brand recognition, higher pricing, and a strong presence in the registered agents' services industry.
They ensure you're informed of filing deadlines and any forms you need to submit to the Maine Secretary of State.
Their prices are higher than the competition's, but you may feel more at ease using the services because of their expertise and brand recognition.
- Registered agent service ($299): Provide a comprehensive registered agent service with features like a compliance calendar, enterprise data protection, and unlimited cloud storage. Also Comes with identity theft protection worth up to one million dollars!
- LLC formation package ($79 + state fees): Standard LLC formation package includes all the basic legal services.
- Reputable service provider in the country
- High customer volume
- Provides other legal services
- Relatively expensive
- LLC formation doesn't come with a registered agent
5 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is a popular online legal service offering various legal options for company and individual needs.
Whether you are looking for simple document templates or need ongoing assistance with complex legal requirements, this company can help.
Rocket Lawyer offers a premium membership for $39.99 per month, giving access to various premium features and a 25% discount on the company's registered agents service.
If you are still not sure about using Rocket Lawyer, they offer a 7-day free trial so that you can try out their premium features and get a sense of how the company works.
- Maine Registered Agents Service ($149.99 for non-subscribers): They are offering 25% off for their premium subscribers.
- Maine LLC Formation ($99.99 for non-subscribers): Non-members pay $149.99 more for registered agents service since it's not included in the package. New premium members enjoy free registered agents service but pay 25% off onwards.
- Comes with a bundle of online legal services
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Free 30-minute lawyer consultation for premium members
- Relatively expensive
- Joining without legal documents can cost you more
6 - My Company Works
MyNewCompany.com, Inc. has been up and running since 2011 and is committed to providing smooth and quick service.
Their satisfaction guarantee is 100%, and you're entitled to a 90-days free refund.
Other companies offer free registered agents service for the initial year. However, MyCompanyWorks only offers free registered agent services if you purchase either the entrepreneur package or the complete package. There are no additional fees for the next year.
- Maine Registered Agents Service ($99): If you want access to this service, you can choose the $199 Entrepreneur Package. It's not part of the introductory rate, but you'll pay $99 for add-on service.
- Maine LLC Formation package ($59 plus state fee of $120): Excludes registered agents service. You may have to pay an additional cost of $99.
- Excellent customer feedback
- Reliable and efficient services
- Knowledgeable and friendly customer service team
- The basic package doesn't provide Maine Registered Agent service
- Unfavourable pricing
How Can You Benefit By Working With The Best Maine Registered Agent Service?
As a business owner in Maine, your company's primary point of contact with the state should be your registered agent. They can receive and deliver any official correspondence. Your Maine registered agent service can ensure that the company complies with state laws.
While you can be your agent, using a registered agent for your LLC has several benefits :
1. Ensures You Comply
Your Maine registered agent can ensure that your business follows all the regulations of Maine and that nothing is overlooked.
2. Comes with Peace of Mind
Focusing on growing your business is easier with a Maine registered agent in charge. You can trust that important documents are monitored, and you'll be notified immediately if any are sent.
Don't stress about your physical address being disclosed to the public when you set up your LLC with a Maine registered agent service!
Instead of you having to provide a street address, using a high-quality registered agent service can provide it for you. Any paperwork that comes into your LLC can be delivered to the registered office address .
Registered agent services are ideal for business owners in Maine who observe irregular work hours, travel often, or have other commitments that don't allow them to come into the office.
Using Maine registered agent service as a business owner is an excellent choice since it is accessible during business hours.
What is the Cost of A Registered Agent Service in Maine?
The best Maine registered agent services can cost between $49 to $349 per year, depending on the level of service required. Many of these services also provide add-ons.
What Are the Requirements of a Registered Agent in Maine?
A registered agent in Maine ( clerk) is responsible for the following duties under Maine law (Title 5: Chapter 6-A: Model Registered Agents Act, 114):
- You must be 18 years of age and above and can receive documents for your business.
- Send notifications upon receipt of service of process or official mail.
- Be available during regular business hours at a physical mailing address in-state to accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail.
- Keep the registered office address and contact information updated.
Why Do I Need a Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
A registered agent is a mandatory procedure by the state for business owners when starting an LLC. All Maine LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits must choose and maintain a professional Maine registered agent service and office.
What Happens if My Maine Registered Agent Is Unable to Meet Their Duties?
Failure of your Maine registered agent to meet their duties could be detrimental to your company. For instance, a misplaced legal document could result in legal action against your business without your knowledge.
How Do I Choose a Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
Find a reliable agent who is trustworthy and knowledgeable about the legal requirements in the state of Maine. You should also consider their availability and fees. When researching potential agents, make sure to check their reviews and references to ensure you're finding the right fit for your business.
Can I Change the Registered Agent of My LLC at Any Time?
Yes, you can change the registered agent of your LLC at any time by filling out a Statement of Appointment for a $35 filing fee (this fee varies depending on the business entity type). It may take a few business days to complete the process.
Am I Allowed to be my Own Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
Yes, you can be the registered agent for your LLC in Maine as long as you qualify to be a Maine registered agent. You need a physical address in Maine and be available during regular business hours. Being your registered agent lets you control your LLC's activities.
BEST Registered Agent in Maine Is...
Working with the best registered agent service with many years of experience can save you a great deal of stress.
That is precisely why our top pick is Northwest Registered Agent service. They can handle all legal documents and compliance standing professionally.
Northwest registered agent provides high-level privacy protection and all other services required to sustain your LLC. The compliance notifications and customized filing calendar included in the standard package significantly helped us stay on track with state filings and came with peace of mind.