You must first comprehend the legal procedures for starting a business in Maine if you're an entrepreneur with a great idea and are prepared to open a business there.
Even though you're undoubtedly anxious to start implementing your idea, there are specific procedures you must follow to form your business.
The choice of a registered agent will be one of the items on your to-do list. The best registered agent in Maine will reasonably protect your private assets and actively assist you in staying by the laws of Maine.
Uncertain about where to look for and choose a registered agent in the Pine Tree State? To select the best registered agent service for your Maine LLC, start by reading through this list of the best registered agent services we have put together.
Top 4 Best Agent Services in Maine (September 2022)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent Service (Editor's Choice)
Based on overall quality and transparent pricing, Northwest Registered Agent provides the most satisfactory agent service in Maine. Northwest offers the best customer service in the business and the best privacy protection.
Additionally, Northwest Registered Agent takes significant measures to guarantee that you stay on top of your state filings.
Other Maine registered agents may charge extra for compliance notifications and a customized filing calendar, but Northwest's standard service includes both.
- For a basic package that costs $125, you can already get the most out of Northwest’s registered agent services.
- The package includes Privacy by Default®, Local Corporate Guides®, free mail forwarding/scanning, and same-day local document scanning.
- To open your Maine LLC with Northwest, you must pay a $39 price tag plus the filing fee.
- Northwest offers a year of free registered agent service with their LLC formation package, and you will only start paying the $125 annual rate in your 2nd year with them.
- It offers excellent customer service
- Transparent pricing
- Best-in-industry private protection
- 20+ years of experience in the registered agent services industry
- A year of free registered agent service is included in LLC formation
- More expensive than competitors
2 - ZenBusiness Registered Agent Service
Due to the company's outstanding customer service and competitive pricing, ZenBusiness is another top-notch registered agent service in Maine.
ZenBusiness provides a low-cost $99 charge for its registered agent services, with a more straightforward website and a greater emphasis on making the process less stressful.
You'll get access to their handy software that enables you to track and submit your company's annual reports and their excellent customer support.
- ZenBusiness offers a very affordable registered agent in Maine without an LLC formation for as low as $99 per year.
- But if you just started your business and want to for your Main LLC with ZenBusiness, they also offer formation service in Maine for only $39 plus the state fee.
- The formation package includes a year of free registered agent service, after which it is $119 per year.
- ZenBusiness also has an additional Complete Coverage Upgrade feature, which adds a “Worry-Free Compliance” guaranteeing services like annual filing report notifications, two free filing changes per year, etc.
- Outstanding customer feedback
- Affordable package offer
- Expert service and support
- Free registered agent services in all packages
- Low brand recognition
3 - Incfile Registered Agent Service
Since 2004, Incfile has provided reliable, essential registered agent services to over 150,000 customers, including the necessities like a Maine street address and service of process.
Its Learning Center also provides helpful information for business owners.
International companies can get the primary street address for their business entity via Incfile's virtual mailbox in addition to a registered agent office location.
- Incfile offers their registered agent service package for only $119 with free Maine LLC formation and additional features like a convenient registered agent dashboard and email and SMS update notifications.
- Since the LLC formation is already in Incfile’s registered agent service package, all you need to pay is the $145/$175 Maine filing fee for your first year.
- Your first year is FREE
- Offers various services
- Excellent technical support
- Mediocre registered agent services
- It doesn't offer compliance alerts
- Customer Service is not the best
4 - LegalZoom Registered Agent Service
LegalZoom provides brand recognition, higher pricing, and a strong presence in the registered agent services industry.
They notify you of compliance filing deadlines for any forms you might be required to submit to maintain your good standing with the Maine Secretary of State.
Its prices are higher than the competition's, but you may feel more at ease using it because of its experience and brand recognition.
- For a price of $299 per year, LegalZoom offers a comprehensive registered agent service, including features like enterprise data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage.
- LegalZoom’s premium quality also provides identity theft protection of up to $1 million in value.
- If you want to form your Maine LLC with LegalZoom, their formation packages cost $79 plus the state filing fee.
- The country's most prominent business service network
- High customer volume
- Provides other legal services
- Mediocre customer reviews
- Expensive than other competitors
- LLC formations do not include a registered agent
What Are the Benefits of Working with a Maine Registered Agent Service?
A Maine registered agent is your business's primary contact with the state, receiving and delivering official correspondence. Your registered agent service will ensure that the company complies with the state laws.
While acting as your registered agent is an option, using a registered agent service for your Maine LLC has several benefits:
Your registered agent service will ensure that your business always adheres to Maine’s state regulations and nothing is missed.
Gives You Peace of Mind
With a Maine registered agent in charge, you can focus your time, energy, and attention on growing your business. You know that nothing gets missed, and if documents are sent, they will notify you.
Registered agents receive confidential documents. For added protection, a Maine registered agent service is ideal. When documents arrive, they will notify you immediately.
With a Maine registered agent service, you can set up your Maine LLC without worrying about disclosing your home address to the public.
Instead, the registered agent service will give the actual street location, meaning that all paperwork, including those if your LLC is sued, will be served at the registered office address.
Some business owners in Maine work irregular hours, must travel frequently, or have ongoing obligations that prevent them from coming into the office.
It is practical for busy Business owners should use a Maine registered agent service because it is accessible throughout regular business hours.
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost in Maine?
The cost of one of the best Maine registered agent services can range from $49 to $349 per year, depending on the level of service required. Many of these services also provide add-ons.
What Are the Requirements for a Maine Registered Agent?
A registered agent (also known as a clerk) is responsible for the following duties under Maine law (Title 5: Chapter 6-A: Model Registered Agents Act, 114):
- You have to be at least 18 years of age and able to receive documents on behalf of your business.
- Notifying your business when it receives service of process or official mail.
- Being available during regular business hours at a physical address in-state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail.
- Keep your business's registered office and contact information updated so they can reach your business reliably.
Why Do I Need a Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
You need a registered agent for your LLC in Maine because It is a mandatory procedure by the state for business owners when starting an LLC.
All Maine LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits must choose and maintain a professional registered agent service and office.
What Happens if My Maine Registered Agent Is Unable to Meet Their Duties?
If your Maine registered agent is unable to meet their duties, it could be detrimental to your company.
A misplaced legal document could result in legal action against your business without your knowledge.
How Do I Choose a Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
Hiring a registered agent service provider can be challenging because the services registered agents provide differ significantly.
It will all boil down to your business needs and how much you are willing to pay to get such services. You should use a reliable national registered agent service to get the most out of your annual fee.
Can I Change the Registered Agent of My Maine LLC at Any Time?
You can change the registered agent of your Maine LLC at any time by filling out a Statement of Appointment for a $35 filing fee (this fee varies depending on the business entity type). It may take a few business days for the process to be completed.
Am I Allowed to be my Own Registered Agent for My LLC in Maine?
Yes, you are allowed to be your own registered agent for your LLC in Maine as long as you possess all the requirements to become a Maine registered agent mentioned above.
Choosing a reliable registered agent with many years of experience in business will save you a significant amount of money. That is precisely why our best pick is Northwest registered agent service. They will handle all legal documents and compliance standing professionally.
Northwest registered agent provides high-level privacy protection and all other services required to sustain your Maine LLC. The compliance notifications and customized filing calendar included in the standard package will help you stay on track with state filings and give you peace of mind.