How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in North Carolina?
The formation of an LLC in North Carolina would depend on the Secretary of State's discretion based on the documents and compliance issues of your proposed company. You must understand how long it takes the North Carolina Secretary of State to accept and process LLC registration forms.
As a distinguished expert in Mergers and Acquisitions, I helped clients create joint organizations. Working with our panel of business experts, we've researched the North Carolina Secretary of State's website to verify and confirm the formation process.
If you're considering starting your LLC registration process but need assistance submitting the necessary papers, here's a list of the top North Carolina LLC services you can hire. They will guide you through the process and file your documents on your behalf.
- It takes 5-7 business days to form an LLC in North Carolina online and by mail.
- The North Carolina Secretary of State offers a 24-hour expedited service for an additional $100, and a same-day processing for $200.
- Although there is an established timeline, several factors can prolong the overall processing time.
- To avoid potential delays, I always tell clients to review their LLC formation documents for any inaccuracies or lacking data.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in North Carolina?
The fastest way to start an LLC in North Carolina is filing by mail using the expedited service. The documents will be processed depending on your chosen expedited option – same-day processing or 24-hour approval time.
For same-day processing, documents should be submitted before 12 noon on a weekday.
All LLC formation papers filed after 5pm or on weekends will be processed the next business day.
LLC Processing Time in North Carolina
North Carolina offers different filing methods for LLC registration documents, each with a different LLC processing time.
Let's look at the processing time of each filing method below.
1. Expedited North Carolina LLC Processing Time By Mail (Same-day Processing + $200)
The North Carolina SOS provides an alternative that expedites the submission of LLC formation papers and the issuance of certified copies and certificates.
For North Carolina LLCs, the SOS provides these two expedited filing options:
- $100 for a 24-hour turnaround
- $200 for same-day processing
I always advise my clients to ensure that their paperwork is in order, since you'll not get a refund if you pay for expedited processing and your documents are not approved .
2. Non-Expedited North Carolina LLC Processing Time By Mail (5-7 business days)
Mail filing is handled in the order received and can take 5-7 business days, including postage time .
In my experience, most delays stem from filing the wrong form, that's why you must search the online NC Secretary of State website for the appropriate filing forms and download the ones that apply to your business type.
Once you complete the articles of organization, attach the $125 filing fee as a check or money order before mailing the paper.
Mail your documents to this address:
North Carolina Department of Revenue
Post Office Box 25000
Raleigh, NC 27640-0640
3. North Carolina LLC Processing Time Online (5-7 business days)
Online filings are processed within 5 to 7 business days.
When I filed online, I simply submitted the articles of organization on the official North Carolina Secretary of State website .
Proceed to fill out the details of your LLC and submit it along with the $128 filing fee.
If you file online, there is a $3 convenience charge on electronic payments.
Learn more about the cost of an LLC in North Carolina.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of North Carolina LLCs
The following factors are the main reasons why the LLC formation process could be delayed:
- Documentation issues: The state will reject formation documents with incomplete or inaccurate information. You’ll receive an email detailing the reasons for rejection.
- Volume of filings: High volume of applications may prolong the processing time, especially since the documents are manually reviewed.
- Time of the year: Filing during peak seasons may delay the formation timeline. That’s why I always advise my clients to avoid submitting their applications during busy seasons – end or the beginning of the year.
Where Can I Check the Status of My North Carolina LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your North Carolina LLC formation during the processing period by visiting the Business Registration Formation website and clicking on "Online Services".
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in North Carolina?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in North Carolina. The Secretary of State will process the application in the order they were received.
How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in North Carolina?
It costs $125 to start an LLC in North Carolina, which covers the Articles of Organization. Additional state fees apply.