How Long Does It Take to Form an LLC in South Carolina?
If you're looking to launch a business in South Carolina, you should consider different filing methods and know the LLC formation processing times.
As an LLC specialist who's been in the field for over a decade, I have assisted numerous clients and businesses across the states in forming, managing, and maintaining limited liability companies.
To find out how long it takes to form a South Carolina LLC, we consulted our team of LLC experts in the state and researched the Secretary of State's website.
We recommend choosing one of these best South Carolina LLC formation services to guide you through the process and ensure your business is in compliance with the state business laws.
- It takes 2 to 3 business days to form an LLC in South Carolina through mail, and 24 hours if you file online.
- The state of South Carolina does not offer expedited services when filing for a limited liability company.
- The actual turnaround time may take longer to complete due to several factors.
- Having set up an LLC in South Carolina, I found it best to double-check your documentation, pick an off-season to file and a method that conforms to your timeline.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in South Carolina?
The fastest way to start an LLC in South Carolina is by filing online, since the whole process only takes 24 hours .
When opening an LLC in the state, I found that all online filings are done in the State's Business Filings portal. If your LLC formation gets approved, the state will email you a "Download Documents" link.
LLC Processing Time in South Carolina
South Carolina LLC processing time varies depending on the filing method you choose. Here are the options and the time it takes to get your LLC approved.
1. Non-Expedited South Carolina LLC Processing Time By Mail (3-4 weeks)
South Carolina LLCs processing for mail filings takes 3-4 weeks. This includes the LLC processing period of 2 to 3 working days and mail correspondence.
When I filed an application for one of my clients, I had the option to make a $110 money order or check payable to the Secretary of State as the filing fee and mail the documents to the following address: South Carolina Secretary of State's Office Attn: Corporate Filings 1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 525 Columbia, SC 29201.
You must mail two copies of your LLC Articles of Organization. Ensure that both documents are identically filled out and have the organizer(s)' signature(s) alongside the following details:
- LLC name and address
- Registered agent name and address
- Manager(s) information
- Organizer(s) name and address
- LLC duration and effective date
- Contact information
2. South Carolina LLC Processing Time Online (24 hours)
Online filings are processed within 24 hours. The online filing fee for your business formation registration is $110, and you must pay it once you've completed your application form .
In my experience, after I submitted the form, the Secretary of State's office sent an acknowledged receipt notification. See our article and learn what is the exact cost of an LLC in South Carolina.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of South Carolina LLCs
The processing time will depend mainly on the method you chose to file for your LLC. However, actual turnaround may be influenced by other factors, including:
- Workload volume: The processing time for mail filing may be prolonged due to the volume of applications and agency workload.
- Documentation issues: Inaccurate information and lack of details on the documents submitted may need to be corrected. Additionally, if the LLC name was not reserved in advance, it may not be available for use. This entails extra time to remedy.
- Time of the year: Most businesses prefer to start operations at the beginning of each year and file during this time. I always advise clients to avoid peak periods when registering your LLC.
Can I Check the Status of My South Carolina LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can't check the status of your South Carolina LLC formation during the processing period. You simply have to wait for the approval notice sent by the Secretary of State.
Can a Registered Agent Expedite the Process of Forming an LLC in South Carolina?
A registered agent can't expedite the process of forming an LLC in South Carolina because there is a fixed period for the processing and approval determined by the Secretary of State's office.
Does an LLC Need a Business License in South Carolina?
An LLC does not need a business license in South Carolina. However, you may have to acquire a professional or occupational license depending on the nature of your business.