How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Louisiana? (Guide)
The Louisiana Secretary of State has a turnaround period to receive, verify, process and finally approve the business application.
Since I'm an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions and a degree holder in tax law, I helped clients form businesses in various states.
In collaboration with our highly experienced panel of experts, we utilized the Louisiana SOS website as the focal point of our research to determine all LLC processing options and the corresponding turnaround period each alternative takes.
Furthermore, you can employ any of these professional Louisiana LLC formation services to establish the LLC on your behalf.
- It takes 2-3 weeks to form an LLC in Louisiana by mail and 7-20 business days if you filed online.
- The state of Louisiana offers expedited service for all forms of application. Same-day processing costs $50 while 24-hour approval time entails a fee of $30.
- According to the US Small Business Administration between March 2021 and March 2022, the state saw 11,023 Louisiana establishments opened.
- I always advise clients to make sure that the documents they submit are compliant with the state’s requirements to facilitate the filing within the standard timeframe.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Louisiana?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Louisiana is by availing the expedited service – the documents are handled ahead of other papers received that day.
The SOS offers two expedited processing options for Louisiana LLCs. You can choose between same-day processing or 24-hour accelerated service.
Louisiana saw a -0.6% decrease in business filings between the first nine months of 2022 and 2023. Specifically, 61,204 business applications were filed in the state in the first nine months of 2023 compared to the 61,585 that were filed in the first nine months of 2022.
This statistic highlights the necessity of careful decision-making, as detailed in your Louisiana LLC operating agreement, before moving forward with the opening process.
LLC Processing Time in Louisiana
Louisiana limited liability company processing time represents how long the SOS takes to approve your application after they receive the necessary documents.
The SOS offers four filing methods: Online, mail, fax, in-person, and expedited .
Here's a detailed description of each filing method.
1. Expedited Processing Time (same-day processing + $50, 24-hour turnaround + $30)
The SOS offers an option that accelerates the LLC filing of formation paperwork and the issue of certified copies and certifications.
Here are the following accelerated service options:
- $50 for same-day expedited processing (4-6 hours)
- $30 for a 24-hour processing
When I had to file an application, I availed the same-day processing option and was pleased that the document was approved within 5 hours.
2. Non-Expedited Processing Time By Mail (2-3 weeks)
The SOS reviews and approves standard mail applications within 2-3 weeks of submission.
For convenient processing, ensure you include your LLC's correct and updated details; otherwise, the SOS will reject your registration.
I had to mail the articles of organization to the Secretary of State's office and pay a filing fee of $100. The available payment options for mail LLC submissions include checks and money orders.
3. Louisiana LLC Processing Time Online (7-20 business days)
Online filings in Louisiana are processed within 7-20 business days.
To register online, I had to create an account on the geauxBIZ website – the official state’s business registry.
You'll have to fill out your LLC details on the Articles of Formation form and upload the PDF.
The available payment options for online LLC filing include Master Card, Visa, American Express, and Discover.
I was charged an additional $5 statutory convenience fee during the filing.
4. Louisiana LLC Processing Time In Person (7-20 business days)
Regular processing of hand-delivered LLC papers is 7-20 business days.
However, I availed of the expedited service that costs $50 and the documents were processed within the day. Note that all expedited costs must be paid in addition to the regular filing fee.
If you decide to use the regular processing time, the SOS requires you to leave an address or a contact number to be notified when the processing is finished.
The walk-in customer service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
5. Louisiana LLC Processing Time by Fax (7-20 business days)
The processing time for applications filed by fax is 7 to 20 business days.
When I had to file the LLC documents by fax, I learned that the state requires you to provide the following:
- A cover sheet or letter
- LLC name
- Incorporator's name and phone number
- Postal address
Ensure that you also fax the registration papers according to specified instructions, failure to which the Commercial Division can reject your application.
LLC owners can request expedited processing for faxed documents if they want them processed faster.
"Engaging with professionals familiar with Louisiana's business laws can streamline the LLC formation process and mitigate potential delays."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Louisiana LLCs
Here are several reasons that may affect the processing time of your Louisiana LLC:
- Method of filing: The filing method is the primary factor that affects your LLC’s approval time. Standard processing takes longer than expedited service.
- Workload volume: The volume of transactions may prolong the processing period, since the state needs to manually review applications.
- Documentation issues: The state of Louisiana will reject documents that didn’t meet state requirements. You should factor in the time it takes to correct the mistake and refile your application.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Louisiana LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Louisiana LLC formation during the processing period by contacting the Secretary of State or inquiring in person.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Louisiana?
There's no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Louisiana.
How Much Does an LLC Cost in Louisiana?
An LLC costs $100 in Louisiana, which covers the Articles of Organization. There are additional fees for name reservation, certified copies, expedited service and other legal documents.