If you plan to incorporate a professional limited liability company in Montana, you and your LLC members should understand how long the Montana Secretary of State takes to receive, verify, and process your LLC registration documents.
Working with our qualified business consultants who've been in the LLC industry for over a decade, we spent six weeks researching the potential Montana LLC filing options and processing times.
Today, we'll share all details regarding LLC processing times in Montana.
- Forming an LLC online in Montana takes 5-6 business days.
- The Montana Secretary of State's Business Services Division doesn't offer other filing methods for submitting business registration documents.
- LLC owners who want faster LLC approval can pay additional fees for expedited shipping and have the papers ready in 1 business day.
How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Montana?
It takes 5-6 business days to form an LLC Montana online.
This is the standard processing time, but you can pay additional fees for expedited shipping and have your registration documents approved in less than 24 hours.
Unfortunately, the Montana Secretary of State's Business Services Division doesn't offer other filing methods for submitting business registration papers.
Montana LLC Processing Time
The Montana LLC processing time is the total time the Secretary of State takes to review and approve your articles of the organization after receipt.
In Montana, LLC owners can only submit their formation papers online; no other filing method exists.
1. Online Filings
Register a new LLC online by visiting the Montana Secretary of State State online filing portal .
Create a user profile and log in with your username and password.
Once you log in, select "Register A Business" under the "Business Services" section. It will showcase a rundown of different LLC documents.
Pick the Articles of Organization for Domestic Limited Liability Companies.
Fill out your LLC details, like name, business address, and registered agent contact details.
Provide official signatures on the provided signature line and proceed to pay the filing fee.
The Montana Secretary of State's office accepts two payment options for online submissions: electronic checks and credit cards.
The major credit cards accepted include Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Note that you can use a debit card to pay, but it must have the MasterCard or Visa logo.
All online LLC orders take 5-6 business days to get approved.
While this is the standard LLC processing period, you can pay additional fees for accelerated processing and have your papers ready in less than 24 hours.
Once you verify and submit all your LLC's information, the document is sent electronically to the Secretary of State's office for final processing and approval.
If you register your new domestic or foreign LLC online, expect to shell out the $35 state fees to cover your certificate of formation.
A $3 convenience fee is also charged on the card you use.
2. Expedited Filings
As an entrepreneur in Montana, paying for expedited service is the best option if you want to incorporate your new professional LLC faster than the regular processing time.
The Montana Secretary of State's Business Services Division offers the following expedited processing options for all business registration papers like your Montana articles of formation and name registration certificate:
- $20 for 24 hours turnaround
- $100 for a 1-hour expedited processing
The SOS treats the $100 expedited processing option as a "priority," and documents submitted under this option are processed before those under the $20 option.
Check our article for more information on the exact cost of an LLC in Montana.
Steps To Start an LLC in Montana
Here are nine steps to start a limited liability business in Montana.
- Step 1: Conduct a Montana business name search and pick an available LLC name that adheres to all Montana LLC naming guidelines.
- Step 2: Appoint your own registered agent service in Montana.
- Step 3: Prepare and file your LLC articles of organization with the Montana Secretary of State's Business Services Division.
- Step 4: Draft an LLC operating agreement by yourself or hire an attorney.
- Step 5: Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. An EIN is necessary to pay taxes, open a business bank account, and hire workers for your business.
- Step 6: Per business law, acquire the necessary Montana state and municipal LLC business licenses and permits to conduct transactions legally in the state.
- Step 7: Open an LLC bank account for your business revenue.
- Step 8: Acquire business insurance for financial coverage and legal protection of your LLC.
- Step 9: File a Montana annual report by April 15 to avoid penalties .
What's the Fastest Way To Get an LLC in Montana?
The fastest way to get an LLC in Montana is to file your articles of organization online on the SOS portal and pay the additional $100 for 1-hour priority delivery.
How Much Does It Cost To Register an LLC in Montana?
It costs $35 to register an LLC in Montana. This amount is for processing your Montana LLC articles of organization submitted to the Secretary of State's Business Services Division. If you're filing a Series LLC, you'll incur an additional $50 for each LLC in the series.
Should You Hire an LLC Service in Montana?
Launching a limited liability company in Montana is an excellent business strategy to get personal liability protection while enjoying the state's friendly tax systems.
If you're considering establishing a Montana LLC, check out our list of the best Montana LLC formation services for an easier, more affordable, and smoother filing process.
While engaging with any of these six professional services will not fasten the LLC formation process, they will help guarantee that your LLC is filed legally and according to the Montana SOS regulations.
Additionally, these authentic services offer comprehensive business features, professional customer support, and affordable registered agent services to keep your company compliant.