How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Montana (Full Guide)
If you intend to establish a limited liability company in Montana, your application has to be received and verified by the Montana Secretary of State. The registration process will be completed once all legal documents are submitted.
After consulting with our panel of business experts in limited liability companies, we were able to come up with, through our collective effort, a detailed guide to Montana LLC filing options and processing times.
- It takes 5 to 6 business days to form an LLC in Montana if you filed online. Mail filing is not available in the state.
- LLC owners who want faster LLC approval can pay additional fees for expedited shipping and have the papers ready in 1 business day – $20 (24-hour processing) and $100 (1-hour approval time).
- There are several factors that can prolong the processing time – documentation issues, processing errors, and weekends and holidays.
- To prevent potential delays, I always tell clients to check and review the documents before submission and file all the required LLC formation papers.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Montana?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Montana is by filing online using the expedited service. The approval time will depend on the accelerated processing option you choose.
You can avail of the 24-hour turnaround or the 1-hour processing and pay using online checks or credit/debit cards. The major credit cards accepted include Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
LLC Processing Time in Montana
The Montana LLC processing time is the total time the Secretary of State takes to review and approve your articles of organization upon receipt.
1. Expedited Montana LLC Processing Time Online
The Montana Secretary of State's Business Services Division offers the following expedited processing options for all business registration papers:
- $20 for 24 hours turnaround
- $100 for a 1-hour expedited processing
The SOS treats the $100 expedited processing option as a "priority," and documents submitted under this option are processed before those under the $20 option.
2. Montana LLC Processing Time Online
All online LLC orders take 5-6 business days to get approved.
Register a new LLC online by visiting the Montana Secretary of State State online filing portal. Create a user profile and log in with your username and password .
Once you verify and submit all your LLC's information, the document is sent electronically to the Secretary of State's office for final processing and approval.
If you register your new domestic or foreign LLC online, expect to shell out the $35 state fees to cover your certificate of formation.
A $3 convenience fee is also charged on the card you use.
3. Non-Expedited Montana LLC Processing Time By Mail
The state of Montana doesn’t offer filings by mail and only accommodate online registration .
Check our article for more information on the exact cost of an LLC in Montana.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Montana LLCs
Although accelerated service and online filings have established processing times, several factors can delay the formation timeline. These include the following:
- Documentation issues: The state rejects documents with incomplete and inaccurate information. You will need to correct the mistake and file the formation papers again.
- Processing errors: Network errors and website downtime will delay the processing time. You’ll need to wait since there’s no other filing option available.
- The state doesn’t conduct business during weekends and holidays. Your documents will be processed on the next business day.
Do I Need Business License If I have an LLC in Montana?
You need a business license if you have an LLC in Montana depending on the nature of your business. You may have to acquire certain permits and licenses to legally operate in the state.
How Much Does It Cost To Register an LLC in Montana?
It costs $35 to register an LLC in Montana, which covers your LLC articles of organization. If you're filing a Series LLC, you'll incur an additional $50 for each LLC in the series.
Montana LLC Processing Times
In Montana, LLC owners can only submit their formation papers online; no other filing method exists. The state will process your documents within 5 to 6 business days. Expedited filing is also available for an additional cost.
To help guarantee that your LLC is filed legally and according to state business laws, you can hire the best Montana LLC formation services.
They’ll assist you with the process and provide a registered agent to receive service of process in behalf of your company.