If you want to start an LLC in Illinois, you need a registered agent who serves as your company's point of contact for all legal concerns and receives letters from the state.
To help you hire the best service that suits your startup, we worked together with our legal advisors and tested the different registered agent services in Illinois.
Here are four top companies that rank best in pricing, service features, and turnaround times.
Top 4 Registered Agents in Illinois (January 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent Service (Editor's Choice)
Northwest is the best Illinois commercial registered agent service provider because they provide value-for-money prices for their services.
This Illinois registered agent distinguishes itself from its competition by stressing great customer service, open communication, and appropriate privacy and data protection safeguards, as stated in their slogan.
They provide a variety of LLC options to Illinois entrepreneurs and business owners. And their exemplary customer service was prompt and responsive to all our questions.
- Registered Agent Service ($125): For $125, you get to use their excellent registered agent services, which include local corporate guides®, 24-hour file scanning, free Mail sending, and Privacy by Default®.
- LLC Formation Service (starts at $39): The package includes a free registered agent service for the first year and subsequently renews for $125 yearly.
- They don't sell your data
- Excellent personalized customer service
- Has a solid experience of 20+ years
- The clarify the fees
- A year of free Illinois registered agent service is included with the business formation package
- Not the cheapest in the market
2 - ZenBusiness
ZenBusiness is an LLC formation service that provides all the services you would expect from a registered agent, such as taking service of process on your behalf and assisting you in keeping your LLC in good standing with the Illinois Secretary of State.
ZenBusiness offers an intuitive client dashboard with information on how to launch and manage any kind of business successfully.
Their signup process was fairly easy and took us less than 20 minutes.
ZenBusiness has a very hands-on customer support team who are available to handle any issues you may have during the formation process.
- Registered Agent Service ($99): For as low as $99, you can access the premium registered agent service (without LLC formation) from ZenBusiness. The package only offers the bare minimum but is already enough to sustain the needs of your Illinois LLC.
- LLC Formation Service ($39): This plan includes top features like the business filing service and operating agreement, a free registered agent service, and their LLC formation package.
- Fair and simple pricing model
- Expanded client support system
- Great deal of favorable customer feedback
- 60 days of Money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Brand recognition is lower compared to other competitors
3 - IncFile
They are one of the best-known Illinois registered agent services in Illinois, offering the bare essentials for running and managing an LLC.
In our experience, IncFile filed our articles of organization, gave our business a physical address in Illinois, and took mail and service of process on our LLC's behalf.
In addition, if you don't own a company but would like to enjoy free features during the startup process, IncFile offers top-notch free LLC creation services in Illinois.
- Registered Agent Service ($119): You can take advantage of the extra service offered on the free agent and LLC formation package by purchasing Incfile's Illinois registered agent service package for $119 per year. The bundle includes features like an easy-to-navigate agent webpage and timely legal alerts.
- LLC Formation (starts at $0): Because the LLC formation is already free when you use their Illinois statutory agent plan, you'll have to pay the $154 state filing fees.
- Convenient user dashboard
- All creation plan has free one-year service of registered agent
- Very fast processing of orders
- Clear costs
- Less support features
4 - LegalZoom Registered Agent Service
LegalZoom serves as an Illinois registered agent.
They handle all the paperwork for you, including filing your articles of organization and providing you with a physical address in Illinois.
As your main point of contact, LegalZoom accepts mail and service of process on behalf of your Illinois LLC during regular business hours.
They will advise you of any compliance filing timelines for any paperwork you may be needed to file in order to keep your high standing with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Registered Agent Service ($299): In addition to comprehensive legal services, a calendar for compliance, unrestricted cloud services, and data security, this premium package comes with free LLC formation. Premium quality at a premium cost, indeed.
- LLC Formation Service (starts at $79): If you want to use LegalZoom to create your Illinois LLC, they will charge you $79 in addition to the state's filing cost.
- Robust brand familiarity
- Offers comprehensive legal services
- One-stop shop for all legal requirements
- Average client reviews
- Pricey plans
What Are the Benefits of Working with the Best Registered Agent in Illinois?
The benefits of working with a registered agent in Illinois include the following :
You will be able to comply with state regulations through your registered agent because they are well-versed with state rules and regulations regarding compliance filing.
Law enforcement frequently delivers lawsuits and legal documents in person. You might not want clients or co-workers to see that personal exchange as a business owner. Some business owners choose a registered agent for privacy reasons .
3. Time Commitment
The time required to deal with accepting paperwork and preparing annual reports is often not available to busy business owners. You won't have to fret about any of these with a registered agent, as they meet deadlines during regular business hours.
4. Regular Hours
During regular business hours, a registered agent can be reached to receive the crucial paperwork for your LLC. Due to travel, meetings, or other errands, many start-ups cannot remain in their home or office during all typical business hours.
How Much Does Hiring a Registered Agent Service in Illinois Cost?
Hiring a registered agent in Illinois costs anywhere between $99 and $349.
What Are the Requirements for an Illinois Registered Agent?
Each registered agent in Illinois must adhere to the following requirements:
- Must have an Illinois office address.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Required to be available throughout regular work hours (9 AM to 5 PM).
- It is necessary to guarantee that documents are delivered and processed promptly.
Our Selection Process
When rounding up the services on this list, we prioritized the companies that provide the best all-around service based on a number of important criteria.
We enlisted the help of several legal advisors and attorneys to provide us with the expertise needed to score and rank each of the services present on the list.
We ranked each service based on its cost. This includes both the base pricing model and any discounts and special offers, with the goal of giving our clients in Illinois the opportunity to get the most value for the money they spend.
We scored each company based on how they handle tasks in the registered agent services niche. Our goal is to ensure a high standard of registered agent services provided by companies with proven experience and a stellar track record.
3. Customer support
We ranked companies based on the availability and quality of their customer support. Each registered agent service has been scored on their capability to answer the client's questions and resolve their problems as they arise.
4. Turnaround time
We went through the entire order request with each and every company we ranked, making sure to note the exact amount of time each agent to provide us with the service we needed. We did this, so our clients would have their needs met in a timely manner.
Why Do I Require a Statutory Agent in Illinois?
You require a statutory agent in Illinois because all LLCs, corporations, and nonprofit organizations are necessitated by state law to elect and maintain a registered agent and office to form an LLC in Illinois.
How Much Does it Cost to Change My Registered Agent?
$0 to $50 is the cost to change your registered agent, depending on the number of states your LLC is registered in.
How Do I Change My Illinois Registered Agent?
To change your Illinois registered agent, you must complete the change of registered agent form and submit it to the Illinois Secretary of State.
Can I Be My Own Illinois Statutory Agent?
Yes, you can be your own statutory agent in Illinois, provided that you satisfy the state of Illinois' requirements for any registered agent.
How Much Is The Filing Fee for Forming an LLC in Illinois?
$150 is the filing fee for forming an LLC in Illinois.
Can I Use My Residential Address as My Registered Address in Illinois?
Yes, you can use your residential address as your registered address in Illinois when you form the company; however, you may later change your registered address or any other official business address.
How Long Does The Approval of LLC take in Illinois?
3-4 weeks is the approval of LLC takes in Illinois. They will process your documents within 10 to 15 working days, plus the time they spend in the mail. On the other hand, online filing approvals often take 7 to 10 business days.
BEST Registered Agent in Illinois is...
Our main advice is to never settle for mediocre or unimpressive services. While compiling and searching for the best Illinois registered agent services, we have realized that Northwest Registered Agent is your best pick.
In our experience, Northwest Registered Agent ensured that our business entity was run according to the law and maintained its legal standing.
They offer the organization of all legal documents and emails important for your business entity, high-level privacy protection, and excellent customer service to meet your demands.