How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Michigan (Guide)
If you want to start a limited liability company (LLC) in Michigan, you might wonder how long it would take and what obstacles you might face.
As an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions, I worked with entrepreneurs and helped them form new joint organizations.
After consulting LLC experts in Michigan and doing thorough research on the topic, we'll share with you the different processing times and filing methods to help you start your business.
If you need help with the formation process, you can hire the best Michigan LLC formation services to guide you through the process and ensure your business stays compliant with state business laws.
- It takes four weeks to form an LLC in Michigan if you file by mail and 10 business days if submitted your application online.
- The state of Michigan offers expedited service by mail, which costs $50 for 24-hour processing, $100 for same-day approval, $500 for 2-hour turnaround, $1,000 for 1-hour application.
- According to data from Lending Tree, during the first nine months of 2023, 4.07 million business applications were submitted nationwide, with 111,689 of those applications originating from Michigan.
- When forming a limited liability company in Michigan, I always review documents and prepare all required papers to avoid delays.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Michigan?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Michigan is by filing by mail using the expedited service.
You will need to pay an extra $50 for 24-hour service, $100 for same-day processing, $500 for 2-hour approval and $1,000 for 1-hour turnaround time.
Note that the formation documents for same-day service must be received by 1 p.m., 2-hour processing must be filed by 3 p.m., and 1-hour service should be submitted before 4 p.m .
LLC Processing Time in Michigan
Michigan offers different processing times for LLC formation, making it essential to understand the procedure.
According to data from Lending Tree, during the first nine months of 2023, 4.07 million business applications were submitted nationwide, with 111,689 of those applications originating from Michigan.
1. Expedited Michigan LLC Processing Time By Mail (2-hour delivery + $500)
The state of Michigan offers accelerated service for mail and online filings.
There are several expedited options you can avail of, which includes the following:
- 24-hour approval
- Same-day processing
- 1-hour service
- 2-hour turnaround
For expedited filings, I had to complete a separate CSLC/CD-272 form for each document .
2. Non-Expedited Michigan LLC Processing Time By Mail (4 weeks)
Standard mail application may take four weeks to be processed and approved, but it includes mail time.
Before filing, I simply downloaded the form online and mailed it to the following address along with a check or money order:
611 W. Ottawa
P.O. Box 30004
Lansing, MI 48909
3. Michigan LLC Processing Time Online (10 business days)
To file online, a client of mine had to go through the corporation's online filing system and then submit the documents online via the “Michigan.gov” website after paying the non-refundable fee of $50 .
Once you have made the payment and submitted the form online, it will take 10 business days for your Michigan LLC filing to be processed and approved.
This fee can be paid by VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.
See our article for more information on how much an LLC costs in Michigan.
"Familiarize yourself with Michigan-specific LLC regulations to expedite your filing."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Michigan LLCs
Although there’s an established processing timeline, several factors can affect the formation process:
- Documentation issues: If you submit applications that contain incorrect data and lack information, you’ll have to correct the details and refile the document. It's good practice that I review and check all documents and information before I submit them to the state.
- Volume of applications: The processing time may be prolonged due to workload volume and staff shortage.
- Weekends and holidays: If you filed just before the weekend or a holiday, the state won’t be able to process the documents, since public offices do not conduct business during this period.
- Time of the year: Majority of businesses file and renew during the end and beginning of the year. It’s ideal to apply after the peak season.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Michigan LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check the status of your Michigan LLC formation during the processing period through the Business Corporations Entity Search webpage.
Can a Registered Agent Expedite the Process of Forming an LLC in Michigan?
A registered agent cannot expedite the process of forming an LLC in Michigan since the state determines processing and approval periods. However, employing a registered agent can help you stay compliant with state business laws.
Do I Need A Business License To Form A Professional Limited Liability Company In Michigan?
You need a business license to form a professional limited liability company in Michigan, at the state or local level.
Michigan LLC Processing Times