If you’re a Michigan-based entrepreneur or small business owner who handles everything in your firm, it can be challenging to file compliance and SOS papers and run your business at the same time.
For this reason, it might be more beneficial for you to hire a reliable LLC service to handle your legal work.
So, to help you out, we consulted our legal team and made a thorough review of the industry-leading Michigan LLC formation services. We ranked these services based on their service features, price, delivery time, including their pros and cons.
Continue reading to find out our best Michigan LLC service recommendation.
4 Best Michigan LLC Formation Services (February 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
Starting this list is one of the most popular LLC services among Michigan startups and entrepreneurs. ZenBusiness provides three subscription tiers for LLC formation to accommodate your specific business needs at a price that fits practically any budget.
Since its formation in 2015, ZenBusiness has already assisted over 300,000 LLCs nationwide. That is quite a feat for a company that is still relatively new to the LLC formation industry.
We had an outstanding experience with their customer support team, who were quick to respond and provide thorough clarifications.
- Starter Formation Package ($49/year): LLC formation, free operating agreement template, and a Michigan registered agent.
- Pro Package ($199/year): Starter Formation Package features plus Employer Identification Number (EIN) registration, VIP processing, handling of annual report filings, and two yearly amendments.
- Premium Package ($299/year): Pro Package features plus rush filing, business domain name, website email address, and domain privacy.
- Registered Agent Service (starts at $99): When you purchase any of their package options, you get a free registered agent service for the first year. You may renew it for $119 or $99 if purchased separately.
- Provides affordable formation packages
- Top-notch customer help team
- They feature a Worry-free Compliance package
- They have a quick business formation process
- Thousands of excellent customer reviews
- Low brand recognition
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent, founded in 1998, has already established a reputation for providing industry-leading customer service and an affordable LLC formation package.
Their Michigan LLC services base pricing is one of the cheapest out there, and each package already includes a Michigan resident agent.
They also have highly trained customer service operators to assist you through each stage of the formation process.
Partnering with Northwest Registered Agent for your Michigan LLC formation gives you the perks of contacting them anytime if you have questions or require assistance.
- Base Formation Package ($39/year): LLC formation paperwork, such as name searches, registration, and filing of all legal documents.
- Deluxe Package ($179/year): Base formation package features plus access to an EIN.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): Includes a free year of premium registered agent service and Michigan resident agent physical address. It renews annually for $125.
- Best-in-the-industry service with over 20 years of experience
- They place a strong emphasis on maintaining client privacy.
- Their service fees are always transparent
- Formation packages include a registered agent
- Their package deals are expensive
3 - IncFile
IncFile is one of your best options if you're on a tight budget but still want to push your Michigan business.
They provide free Michigan LLC formation services, so you only have to pay the state fees and other minor charges due to the Michigan Secretary of State.
Additionally, IncFile's customer service department provides fast response times. The company has over 10,000 customer reviews from satisfied customers, with almost all five-star ratings.
So, if you only need your formation documents filed as quickly as possible, IncFile is the way to go.
- Free Silver Package ($0 in the first year): Free Michigan LLC formation, lifetime company compliance alerts, and a Michigan registered agent service.
- Incfile Gold ($149/year): Free Silver Package features plus preparation of the operating agreement, EIN registration, and banking resolution.
- Platinum Package ($249/year): IncFile Gold features plus free business website and domain name, priority expedited filing, and business contract templates.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): Includes free Michigan registered agent services in the package, then renews annually for the same amount.
- Provides free LLC formation service
- Includes one-year registered agent service in every LLC formation package
- Has helped over 800,000 businesses in their formation process
- Reliable customer support over the phone and email
- They have an excessive number of upsell services
4 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom provides every legal service you might need. Since its founding in 2011, they have assisted over 4 million people and businesses, ranging from business formations and operations to intellectual property.
Although LegalZoom appears to be an expensive option compared to other LLC services on this list, it could be worth the investment.
Their entry-level plan is affordable, but it lacks the feature set of ZenBusiness and IncFile.
- LLC Formation Economy Package (Starts at $79/year): LLC formation paperwork, LLC name search, filing of LLC documents, lifetime customer support, and a draft letter for creating a business bank account.
- Standard Package ($329/year): The economy package features plus a deluxe organizer, membership official certificates and seal, and VIP processing. Costs $329 plus the Michigan state fee.
- Express Gold Package ($349/year): Standard package features plus expedited processing and faster shipping. Costs $349 plus the Michigan state fee.
- Registered Agent Services ($299): Not included in formation packages. A registered agent provides you with a level of security as an owner and helps you escape fines, in addition to allowing you to choose your own company hours.
- Established brand in LLC formation services
- Extended customer support hours
- Extensive legal services for your Michigan LLC
- No registered agent service is included in the package
- Many upsell to high-priced add-on services
Advantages of Creating an LLC in Michigan
Here are three benefits of creating an LLC in Michigan:
1. Personal Asset Protection
Personal assets are protected under LLCs, which means that if your Michigan business is sued, business creditors cannot target your personal assets, such as your bank accounts, home, or vehicles, but only the LLC business assets.
2. Tax Options
LLCs are not subject to double taxation. Instead, they're subject to passthrough taxation . This means taxes are passed through the business entity and paid directly to the LLC owners as personal income taxes.
Michigan LLCs can also qualify for many tax abatement and credit programs, including the "Industrial and Hi-Tech Tax Abatement" program .
As part of this program, tax breaks are given to LLC businesses that renovate, expand, or create new buildings.
2. Flexible Dissolution Decisions
Michigan law is particular that they only dissolve when: the members specified in the articles that the LLC will dissolve under specific circumstances, all eligible members vote unanimously to dissolve LLC, or when a judge orders dissolution.
Michigan LLC Formation Process
The process of starting an LLC is pretty simple. So, even if you use an LLC formation service, it is critical that you understand the six steps to forming a Michigan limited liability company.
- Step 1: Register Your Company with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
- Step 2: Name Your Michigan LLC
- Step 3: Find Yourself a Michigan Registered Agent
- Step 4: File Michigan LLC Articles of Organization
- Step 5: Formulate a Michigan LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 6: Fulfill Michigan LLC Employer Obligations
Our Selection Process
During our trial and testing, we followed a specific selection process based on these four key aspects; customer support, service features, turnaround times, and pricing structures. Here's a detailed explanation.
1. Customer Support
We tried to get in touch with every Michigan-based LLC service provider, and we chose the most helpful one through chat, email, and phone conversations.
You need a service provider you can contact if you experience even minor problems with your LLC firm because forming an LLC is extremely difficult.
2. Service Features
We investigated every Michigan LLC service and selected those offering exceptional package features. We chose LLC services that provide advantageous and necessary service qualities, mainly for startups, like hassle-free paperwork and tax advantages.
3. Pricing Structures
We evaluated the various pricing schemes while assessing service providers in Michigan to ascertain which service or bundle delivers the most value for money.
After signing up for several packages, we rated the ones we thought were the most economical while still offering the crucial elements that company owners require to launch their ventures.
4. Turnaround Times
We verified that these Michigan providers' turnaround times were as quick and effective as possible before selecting any of them. During testing, we simultaneously submitted several orders on each LLC portal, and we eagerly awaited to see how quickly delivery was completed.
We then graded LLC service providers with the best and fastest turnaround times ranging from one to seven business working days.
How Long Does It Take To Form My LLC in Michigan?
It takes around 2 to 4 weeks to form your LLC in Michigan. This timeframe typically depends on the filing method or filing service you choose.
How Much Do I Need to Pay to Create a Michigan LLC?
You need to pay $50 to create a Michigan LLC. This fee covers the Articles of Organization due to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, which you can apply online or by mail.
What Is the Best LLC Service in Michigan for You?
In our opinion, the best LLC service is one with competitive package pricing, ease of use, excellent customer support, and a proven track record.
After thorough LLC service research and testing, we ultimately recommend ZenBusiness because this company meets all the criteria mentioned above.
With ZenBusiness, you can choose from a variety of add-on services to build a plan that suits your business entity's needs.
Additionally, ZenBusiness has extended customer care hours, so you know your problems will be fixed as quickly as possible.
Another excellent thing about this Michigan LLC service is that it offers a 60-day money-back guarantee if you are dissatisfied with the package you've picked.