How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Minnesota (Guide)
The Minnesota Secretary of State's office processes and approves your application based on the validity of the documents you submit and legally registers your LLC if you comply with all the requirements.
As an LLC specialist with over a decade of experience, I helped clients form businesses in various states.
Together with our panel of business experts, we spent considerable time navigating the state's official website to verify and confirm how to complete the process.
Here's everything you need to know.
- It takes 3 to 4 weeks to form an LLC in Minnesota through mail and an average of 7 days if you chose to file online.
- The state of Minnesota offers expedited service through online applications (3-5 business days) and in person submissions (same-day approval). It costs $20 to expedite the process and shorten the period of application.
- The Secretary of State doesn't offer expedited service for mail submissions.
- Having an experience in the LLC formration service, I was pleased to note that the actual turnaround time took less than 4 days.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Minnesota?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Minnesota is through expedited online process or in person application. Pay the corresponding $20 processing fee on top of the $155 state filing cost.
Online submissions are processed in 3 to 5 business days while at-the-counter transactions are immediately approved.
Be sure to prepare all required documents and legal papers to prevent delays with the processing time.
LLC Processing Time in Minnesota
Let's find out how long does it take to process an LLC in Minnesota for different filing methods.
1. Expedited Minnesota LLC Processing Time Online and In Person
The Minnesota Secretary of State offers expedited service for LLC filing done online or in-person.
Online expedited processing takes 3-5 business days, while in-person filing is approved within the same day .
Unfortunately, there's no expedited option for mail orders submitted by Minnesota LLCs.
2. Minnesota LLC Processing Time Online
Minnesota LLC online filing takes an average of 7 business days for the documents to be approved by the SOS.
As of December 2014, the SOS requires all business filers to register an online account.
To complete the online application, you can pay using a Mastercard, Visa, and Discover debit/credit card.
3. Non-Expedited Minnesota LLC Processing Time By Mail
Mail filings are processed on a first-in-first-out basis and can take up to 3-4 weeks, including the mailing time.
You must access the online SOS website for the correct filing forms and download the ones that fit your company type.
Before you mail the document, attach the $135 filing fee as a check or money order.
You can submit your mail registrations to the following official address:
Minnesota Secretary of State
First National Bank Building
332 Minnesota Street, Suite N201
Saint Paul, MN 55101
4. Minnesota LLC Processing Time In Person
Documents filed in person are automatically processed as expedited applications.
In-person processing takes a few hours, and the SOS will approve your submissions while you wait.
However, same-day delivery applies to orders made by 3 PM.
Any submissions made later than that will be processed on the following business day.
The SOS office is open Monday to Friday between 8.00 AM and 4.00 PM.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Minnesota LLCs
There are several reasons that your formation may be delayed, including the method of filing, volume of applications, and documentation issues.
- Method of filing: Standard online and mail filings take longer to process. It’s ideal to use the expedited service for a quicker approval time.
- Volume of applications: Since documents are reviewed manually, high volume of transactions will delay the processing time.
- Documentation issues: Formation papers with inaccurate and incomplete details should be corrected and may lead to delays.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in Minnesota
- How to Change an LLC name in Minnesota
- How to File an LLC Annual Report in Minnesota
Do I Need a State-Issued Business License for My Minnesota LLC?
You need a state-issued business license for your Minnesota LLC, depending on your line of enterprise. You can visit the ELicensing portal to determine which permits and licenses your company is required to have.
Do I Need to Register My LLC Name in the State of Minnesota?
You need to register your LLC name in the state of Minnesota. For your business name to be approved, comply with the Secretary of State naming guidelines.
Minnesota LLC Processing Times
There are several options by which you can file an LLC in Minnesota – online, by mail and in person submissions. The processing times vary depending on the filing method you opted for.
You can hire the top Minnesota LLC formation services to ensure that the filing process would conform to state standards and expedite the process.
You also receive registered agent expertise to manage your compliance/organization paperwork and keep your entity in good standing for its term.