Forming a limited liability company in Illinois can be accomplished through the Illinois Secretary of State. It is a straightforward process but can become complicated without the assistance of an LLC formation expert.
So, in order to assist you in determining which service best meets your Illinois LLC business needs, we compared and evaluated the best LLC services in the state.
In this article, we will look at their packages, price, customer reviews, and turnaround time. We will also provide you with our top choice based on these criteria by the end of this post.
Top 6 LLC Services in Illinois (November 2022)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)
ZenBusiness, which was founded in 2015, has successfully helped over 2,000,000 entrepreneurs and businesses start their LLCs nationwide.
They provide excellent business formation services, with service bundles tailored to meet the needs and budgets of small to large businesses.
ZenBusiness boasts impressive customer feedback, as seen on platforms like BBB and Trustpilot. They are a business development service dedicated to transparency and knowledgeable customer service.
We were particularly pleased with how the company keeps its online portal simple, intuitive, and simple to use.
- Starter LLC Formation Package ($49 + state fees): Includes complete preparation and filing of your business formation documents. It also includes a registered agent, an operating agreement template, and a risk-free accounting assessment.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($199 + state fees): This plan includes a federal tax ID number (EIN) and a banking resolution template. Plus, their Worry-Free Guarantee includes your yearly report, up to two amendments per year, and regular compliance audits to ensure clients maintain good standing with the state.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + state fees): This package offers all contents of the Pro plan plus several third-party features, such as a business website, business domain name, privacy tools, and a business email address.
- Registered Agent Services: Includes 12 months of registered agent services.
- Has a reasonable pricing model
- Starter plan includes necessary Illinois LLC services
- Includes free Registered Agent Service for 12 months
- Outstanding customer feedback
- Low brand recognition
2 - Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is known to be one of the best LLC formation services in the industry. They offer reasonable prices with excellent customer support.
In fact, every LLC formation service package they provide includes one full year of their premium registered agent service.
They are also well-equipped with highly-competent customer support representatives assigned to each client account.
- Base Formation Package ($39 + state fees): Business name search and registration and filing of all legal documents, such as the Articles of Organization. Plus, the 1-year Illinois registered agent service.
- Deluxe Package (starts at $125): Includes service features from the base package and adds the Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your business.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): Includes a free year of registered agent. The service then renews annually for $125.
- Over 20 years of experience and well-versed in the processes
- Excellent privacy protection
- Their fees are very transparent
- 1-year free registered agent service with formation packages
3 - IncFile
Incfile is a good choice for budget-conscious businesses. They offer free LLC formation services, including a year of a registered agent in Illinois.
They are also popular among clients, proven by their excellent customer feedback that can be viewed in their high volume of positive online reviews.
Their packages start at Silver, with free services, followed by Gold at $149, and climb up to Platinum at $299.
- Silver Package ($0 + state fees): At zero cost, this package starts with the basics of formation, including preparing and filing your Articles of Organization. This package also includes a free registered agent for a year and lifetime company compliance alerts.
- Gold Package ($149 + state fees): Additional to everything from the Silver package, this package adds a federal tax ID number (EIN), a personalized binder for your company, a banking resolution, an operating agreement, and express shipping of all legal documents.
- Platinum ($299 + state fees): Includes everything from the Gold package plus expedited state filing, which speeds up your turnaround time.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): The annual fee costs $119 but is already included for 12 months in every paid package.
- Free Illinois Registered Agent included for 12 months
- Has reliable customer service
- Customer-centric support
- Upsells many LLC services and tools
4 - LegalZoom
If you are looking for an online business formation service with a reputation and experience, you cannot miss LegalZoom, which has been around in the industry since 2001.
They work with thousands of legal advisers across the country to assist customers with both personal and business-related affairs.
LegalZoom has already worked with over two million clients and has one of the most user-friendly websites for the order process.
However, one key weakness of LegalZoom is its inability to compete in terms of value. They have expensive add-on services and are sometimes included in the base packages of other leading competitors.
- Economy ($79 + state fees): This entry-level service package includes banking resolution to open bank accounts and all the essentials of LLC formation, such as the business name search.
- Standard ($329 + state fees): On top of the Economy package, the Standard package adds an LLC kit and a seal
- Express Gold ($349 + state fees): This package adds rush processing with the Illinois SOS's office.
- Registered Agent Services ($299): Not included in the packages.
- Highly experienced in the formation service industry
- Has a widespread name recognition and reputation
- Offers access to additional services for business
- No Registered Agent included in their packages
- Expensive packages
5 - Harbor Compliance
Established in 2012, Harbor Compliance is an Illinois LLC formation service that assigns an account manager to each client forming an LLC to serve their business formation needs.
Clients are guaranteed to receive the best formation services from Harbor Compliance, with options to select additional services they might need along the way.
In addition to business formation services, they can register your LLC state tax accounts and business licenses, among other regulatory tasks.
Harbor Compliance possesses an A+ rating on the BBB review platform, with many customers praising their professionalism and fast turnaround times.
- Formation Package ($399 + state fees): It includes essential services such as filing Articles of Organization, provision of an Operating Agreement template, obtaining a federal EIN, and acting as your own registered agent for an entire year.
- Compliance Package ($799 + state fees): On top of the services under the Formation package, this service package includes publishing notice of formation and obtaining affidavits where required, management of annual reports, and ongoing support through one year of operation to get you started.
- Registered Agent Services ($99): A flat annual fee of $99 can get as much as a 10% discount for multiple years of purchase.
- It has a single-day processing time
- Provides a personalized customer support service
- Good track record
- Expensive Illinois LLC formation services
- Few services are included in the package
6 - MyCompanyWorks
MyCompanyWorks is a Nevada-based LLC formation service provider that has been delivering business formation and other legal services to over 60,000 businesses nationwide since 2001.
They are one of the few services with superb customer feedback, with nearly all of their 3,500+ online reviews being positive and satisfactory and only a few negative ones.
- Basic ($79 + state fees): This package includes the essentials of LLC formation, along with a personalized operating agreement and organizational minutes.
- Entrepreneur ($199 + state fees): This provides all features of the Basic plan, plus a federal tax ID number (EIN), an LLC kit and seal, membership certificates, and some business forms.
- Complete ($279 + state fees): This package adds a year of registered agent service on top of the Entrepreneur plan.
- Registered Agent Service ($99): This package is purchased annually. The Complete Package, however, already includes a year of this service.
- Decent customer support
- Satisfied and fantastic customer feedback
- Same-day filing and processing of LLC formation documents
- Basic package does not include free Registered Agent Service
- Offers other essential LLC service features at an additional cost
Advantages of Creating LLC in Illinois
There are many advantages to creating an LLC in Illinois. In fact, a Limited Liability Company (LLC) is the best business entity structure for Illinois small businesses and entrepreneurs. Here’s why:
1. Personal Asset Protection
The primary advantage of LLCs is that they provide members with personal liability protection. This means that LLCs can protect your personal assets from personal creditors. In fact, this is one of the main reasons why businesses in Illinois start an LLC.
This is not only protection from debt collectors but also from potential personal liability that the other owners and partners may bring in.
2. Flexible Tax Options
LLCs are considered pass-through entities, meaning the LLC does not need to pay income taxes. Instead, profits and losses pass through each member's individual tax return and are taxed as personal income taxes to the LLC members.
Moreover, single-member LLCs in Illinois are exempt from paying personal property replacement tax.
LLCs also have the option of how they will be taxed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). S-corporation LLCs have a default pass-through taxation, whereas C-corporation LLCs must pay federal taxes as well as Illinois corporate taxes.
3. Inexpensive Formation
Compared to corporations, LLCs in Illinois are generally inexpensive to form and maintain. This is also subject to the capacity and needs of your business.
Generally, there are only two significant costs involved with forming an LLC in Illinois: the state filing fee and other services that may be provided to assist you in forming an LLC.
4. Builds Business Credibility
Setting up your business in Illinois as an LLC provides more credibility than forming a sole proprietorship or partnership. LLCs are more favorable to customers and other business as it demonstrates your commitment to your Illinois business.
Illinois LLC Formation Process
In Illinois, an LLC is formed through the Illinois Secretary of State. Your Illinois LLC must first be registered with the Illinois SOS and pay formation fees before it can begin operations.
To form your Illinois LLC successfully, you must take care of a few crucial details. Follow these five steps to avoid unnecessary delays or waste of resources.
- Step 1: Name your Illinois LLC
- Step 2: Choose a Registered Agent in Illinois
- Step 3: File the Articles of Organization
- Step 4: Create an LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 5: Secure an Employer Identification Number
For more details on how to start an LLC in Illinois, see our comprehensive guide.
Things to Look For in an Illinois LLC Service
When choosing the service for your business formation, it’s important to know what to look for.
- Excellent Customer Services – Choose an Illinois LLC online service with outstanding customer support service to avoid unnecessary delays and conflicts. It will also ensure you a stress-free online business formation.
- Reputation – Similarly, finding online LLC services in Illinois with an excellent business formation industry reputation is good. Besides, quality services and excellent customer relations can only earn a good reputation.
- Wide Range of Services – In evaluating service providers, it is important to consider if your Illinois business will need other services beyond business formation. A reliable LLC service provider is particularly useful since businesses face legal issues in some form or another.
- Competitive Pricing of Packages – Consider Illinois LLC formation services that offer reasonably priced packages that cover all the essential LLC services and tools you need to establish your own business.
How Much Does It Cost to Start an Illinois LLC?
It costs $150 to start an Illinois LLC, which covers the LLC filing fee due to the Illinois SOS.
How Soon Can You Form an Illinois LLC?
You can form an LLC in Illinois in around seven to ten business days if you file online. This will last, however, up to five weeks if you file by mail.
After reviewing these six services, our top choice for the best Illinois LLC service is ZenBusiness, as it provides the best LLC services on the list. It has the essential LLC service features and tools every Illinois business owner needs to complete their LLC formation.
ZenBusiness also offers one of the best pricing models for formation packages, where they also provide registered agent service for each package.
Their customer support is one service that’s hard to match. So, while they are a relatively new company, all things mentioned here are backed by many customer reviews online.