Establishing a limited liability company in Illinois can be accomplished through the Illinois Secretary of State. It is a straightforward process but can become complicated without the assistance of an LLC formation expert.
So, to assist you in determining which service best meets your Illinois LLC business needs, we consulted a team of legal experts with years of experience in the industry. We compared and evaluated the best LLC services in the state.
This article will look at their packages, price, customer reviews, and turnaround time. We will also provide you with our top choice based on these criteria by the end of this post.
Top 6 LLC Services in Illinois (October 2023)
1 - ZenBusiness (Editor's Choice)Would you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness has successfully helped over 2,000,000 entrepreneurs and businesses start their LLCs nationwide.
They provide excellent business formation services, with service bundles tailored to meet the needs and budgets of small to large businesses.
They present unambiguous package choices, with pivotal features like an EIN. My LLC was confirmed in a short four days, and I was handed a comprehensive New Business Kit.
Their user-friendly interface ensures a hassle-free 10-12 minute filing.
Their knowledgeable customer support helped us fine-tune our sections to support our specific business needs.
ZenBusiness boasts impressive customer feedback, as seen on platforms like BBB and Trustpilot. They are a business development service dedicated to transparency and knowledgeable customer service.
We were particularly pleased with how the company keeps its online portal simple, intuitive, and simple to use.
We would highly recommend their Illinois LLC formation services to any new business owner.
- Starter LLC Formation Package ($0 + $154 State Fee): Their business formation services include complete drafting and filing of formation documents. It also includes standard filing speed (2 to 3 weeks), a risk-free accounting evaluation, and a 100% accuracy guarantee. Additionally, the package provides optional worry-free compliance for the first year, which renews at $199/year if accepted by customers. Moreover, there are Banking and Bank Account services, each priced at $5 monthly after a 1-month trial. The plan also incorporates Money Pro Bookkeeping and a Website Builder.
- Pro LLC Formation Package ($199 + $154 State Fee): This LLC formation service plan includes everything from Starter, an operating agreement template, and EIN and banking resolution template. In addition, the fastest “rush” filing speed (1-2 business days avg), up to two amendments per year, and regular compliance audits to ensure clients conform to state requirements.
- Premium LLC Formation Package ($299 + $154 State Fee): This LLC formation service package offers all contents of the Pro plan plus several third-party amenities: customizable business website, domain name, email address, business document templates, and privacy tools.
- Registered Agent Service ($199): Includes 12 months of registered agent services and renews for the $199.
- Has a reasonable pricing model for Illinois LLC formation service
- Starter plan includes necessary Illinois LLC services
- Includes a free registered agent service for a year
- Outstanding customer feedback
- Intuitive online portal
- Non-profit business formation is not offered
2 - Northwest Registered AgentWould you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest Registered Agent's reputation as one of the best LLC formation services is well earned. Their competitive pricing and outstanding customer support have earned them industry recognition.
In fact, every LLC formation service package they provide includes one full year of their premium registered agent service, of which we took full advantage.
We managed the initial filing in 9 minutes, and in just three days, our filing was ready.
Northwest Registered Agent is also well-equipped with highly-competent customer support representatives assigned to each client account.
Their pricing is fixed for business formation services, ensuring that you can access their LLC services in Illinois without the need for constant budget adjustments.
We have used their LLC services for two months and were highly satisfied with the outcomes. The online interface was easy to use, featuring clear navigation and instructions.
- Base Formation Package ($39 + $154 State Fee): The base package includes name search and registration, and all required filing of legal documents, such as the Articles of Organization. Plus, the 1-year Illinois registered agent service.
- Full Service LLC Formation Package ($225 + $154 State Fee): This package includes service features from the base package and adds the Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your business.
- Registered Agent Services ($125): Includes one complimentary year of free registered agent service that renews at an annual rate of $125. If you want to pay less in your first year, choose Northwest to form your LLC. In that case, this service will cost you the first year $0.
- They bring 20 years of expertise to the table
- Privacy protection is a top priority
- Transparent fees
- 1-year complimentary registered agent services with formation packages
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
A good choice for budget-conscious businesses is IncFile. They offer free LLC formation services, including a year of a registered agent in Illinois.
They are also popular among clients, proven by their excellent customer feedback that can be viewed in their high volume of positive online reviews.
Their packages start at Silver, with free LLC services, followed by Gold at $199, and climb up to Platinum at $299. The benefits of the paid packages were well worth our investment.
We tried out their Silver package and we were pleasantly surprised. They handled all of our court documents and IRS communications for us, enabling us to remain proactive in all matters.
IncFile ensured that we felt our business was their top priority. They offered valuable guidance and guided us through each step of the process with a friendly and professional approach.
- Silver Package ($0 + $154 State Fee): At zero cost, this package starts with the basics of formation, including preparing and filing your Articles of Organization. This package also includes a free registered agent for a year and lifetime company compliance alerts.
- Gold Package ($199 + $154 State Fee): Additional to everything from the Silver Package, this box adds EIN, a personalized company binder, a banking resolution, an operating agreement, and fast shipping (Express) of all legal paperwork.
- Platinum ($299 + $154 State Fee): Includes everything from the Gold Package plus prioritized filing, which speeds up your turnaround time. It also adds free next-day filling and domain name followed by business email.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): A value that is already included for 12 months in every paid package. If made with an LLC formation package, the service will be free.
- Free Illinois Registered Agent included for 12 months
- Has reliable customer service
- Customer-centric support
- Upsells many LLC services and tools
4 - LegalZoom
With two decades of experience, LegalZoom is the ideal choice for those seeking a reputable online business formation service.
They work with thousands of legal advisers across the country to assist customers with both personal and business-related affairs.
LegalZoom has already worked with over two million clients and has one of the most user-friendly websites for the order process.
We decided to give them a try as well. We appreciate their extensive range of services. Their registered agents, in particular, stood out as a favorite for us.
However, one key weakness of LegalZoom is its inability to compete in terms of value. They have expensive add-on services and are sometimes included in the base packages of other leading competitors.
- Basic Package ($0 + $154 State Fee): This entry-level service includes a name check, articles of organization, and all the initial welcome packages of LLC formation. You will also have a WIX-powered website for your online presence.
- Pro Package ($249 + $154 State Fee): Besides the Basic package, the Pro package adds an LLC operating agreement, an EIN, a detailed guide on business licenses, and a phone consultation with a professional.
- Package ($299 + $154 State Fee): This package adds personalized guidance from a specialist attorney in Illinois. Also, get a 30-minute infinite consultation with an attorney regarding new topics in business law, and they will handle any changes that will occur on your LLC formation documents.
- Registered Agent Service ($299): You'll pay $249 for the initial year of your LLC formation and then pay a renewal fee of $299. Here you get Compiance Calendar, email alerts, unlimited cloud storage, and a $1 M identity theft protection.
- Significant formation experience
- Has a widespread name recognition and reputation
- Offers access to additional services for business
- No Registered Agent included in their packages
- Expensive packages
5 - Harbor Compliance
Harbor Compliance is an Illinois professional LLC formation service that assigns an account manager to each client forming an LLC to serve their business formation needs.
Clients are guaranteed to receive the best formation services from Harbor Compliance, with options to select additional services they might need along the way.
In addition to business formation services, they can register your LLC state tax accounts and business licenses, among other regulatory tasks.
We tried their registered agent service and were very satisfied with the results.
They expertly managed formal communications between our business and government agencies, ensuring that all legal obligations were met promptly.
Harbor Compliance possesses an A+ rating on the BBB review platform, with many customers praising their professionalism and fast turnaround times.
- Formation Package ($99 + $154 State Fee): It includes essential services such as filing Articles of Organization, provision of an Operating Agreement template, obtaining a federal EIN, and acting as your own registered agent for an entire year.
- Registered Agent Services (89-$99): Receive up to a 10% discount on the $99 annual fee for purchasing multiple years.
- Delivers one-day processing
- Provides a personalized customer support
- Solid track record
- Expensive Illinois limited liability company formation services
- Service packages lack features
6 - MyCompanyWorks
MyCompanyWorks has provided LLC formation and legal services to more than 60,000 businesses nationwide.
This specialized business service provider is committed to helping entrepreneurs launch their businesses with expert guidance.
They are one of the few services with superb customer feedback, with nearly all of their 3,500+ online reviews being positive and satisfactory and only a few negative ones.
We tested them out for ourselves and we can confirm that their customer service is one of the best. Their interface is also pretty neat.
- Basic Package ($59 + $154 State Fee): Basic Package includes the essentials of LLC formation, along with a personalized operating agreement and organizational minutes. Great initial perks are same business day processing, as well as unlimited phone/Email support.
- Entrepreneur Package ($179 + $154 State Fee): This package offers all features of the Basic plan, plus an EIN (tax ID number), an LLC kit and seal, membership certificates, and business forms.
- Complete Package ($259 + $154 State Fee): Complete Package includes all Entrepreneur level features plus one year of registered agent service, including MyCompanyWorks premium.
- Registered Agent Service ($99): This package is purchased annually. The Complete Package, however, already includes a year of this service.
- Decent customer support
- Satisfied and fantastic customer feedback
- Same-day filing and processing of LLC formation documents
- Basic package does not include free Registered Agent Services
- Offers other essential LLC service features at an additional cost
Advantages of Creating LLC in Illinois
An LLC is the most advantageous choice when launching a business in Illinois. Offering important protections to its owners while allowing them flexibility with their operations and taxation requirements, this entity structure has become the go-to. Here’s why:
1. Personal Asset Protection
The primary advantage of LLCs is that they provide members with personal liability protection. This means that LLCs can protect your personal assets from personal creditors. This is one of the main reasons why businesses in Illinois start an LLC .
This is not only protection from debt collectors but also from potential personal liability that the other owners and partners may bring in.
2. Flexible Tax Options
LLCs are considered pass-through entities, meaning the LLC does not need to pay income taxes. Instead, profits and losses pass through each member's individual tax return and are taxed as personal income taxes to the LLC members.
Moreover, single-member LLCs in Illinois are exempt from paying personal property replacement tax.
LLCs also have the option of how they will be taxed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). S-corporation LLCs have a default pass-through taxation, whereas C-corporation LLCs must pay federal taxes as well as Illinois corporate taxes .
3. Inexpensive Formation
Generally, there are only two significant costs involved with forming an LLC in Illinois: the state filing fee and other services that may be provided to assist you in forming an LLC.
4. Builds Business Credibility
Setting up your business in Illinois as an LLC provides more credibility than forming a sole proprietorship or partnership. LLCs are more favorable to customers and other business as it demonstrates your commitment to your Illinois business.
Illinois LLC Formation Process
In Illinois, an LLC is formed through the Illinois Secretary of State. Your Illinois LLC must first be registered with the Illinois SOS and pay formation fees before it can begin operations.
To form your Illinois LLC successfully, you must take care of a few crucial details. Follow these five steps to avoid unnecessary delays or waste of resources.
- Step 1: Create a business name for your Illinois LLC
- Step 2: Appoint a Registered Agent in Illinois
- Step 3: File the Articles of Organization
- Step 4: Create an LLC Operating Agreement
- Step 5: Secure an Employer Identification Number
For everything you need to know on how to start an LLC in Illinois, see our comprehensive guide.
Things to Look For in Illinois LLC Services
When choosing the best Illinois LLC service for your business formation, it’s important to know what to look for.
- Excellent Customer Services – Choose an Illinois LLC online service with outstanding customer support service and fast Illinois LLC processing time to avoid unnecessary delays and conflicts. It will also ensure you a stress-free online business formation.
- Reputation – Similarly, finding the best LLC services in Illinois with an excellent business formation industry reputation is good. Besides, quality services and excellent customer relations can only earn a good reputation.
- Wide Range of Services – In evaluating service providers, it is important to consider if your Illinois business will need other services beyond business formation. A reliable LLC service provider is particularly useful since businesses face legal issues in some form or another.
- Competitive Pricing of Packages – Consider Illinois LLC formation services that offer reasonably priced packages that cover all the essential LLC services and tools you need to launch your own business.
How Soon Can You Form an Illinois LLC?
You can form an LLC in Illinois in around seven to ten business days if you file online. This will last, however, up to five weeks if you file by mail.
Is It Hard to Get an LLC in Illinois?
No, it is not hard to get an LLC in Illinois. You only need to file the Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State and pay the $150 filing fee.
How Is an LLC Taxed in Illinois?
An LLC is taxed in Illinois as a pass-through entity, meaning taxes are reported on the member's share of income or losses. However, if you select the LLC to be taxed as a corporation, you'll be subject to a 9.50 percent corporate tax rate.
What Illinois LLC Services You Should Get?
After reviewing these six services, our top choice for the best Illinois LLC service is ZenBusiness, which provides the best LLC services on the list. It has the essential LLC service features and tools every Illinois business owner needs to complete their LLC formation.
ZenBusiness also offers one of the best pricing models for formation packages. They offered many options, allowing us to tailor a package that suited our specific limited liability company needs.
Their customer support is one service that’s hard to match. So, while they are a relatively new company, all things mentioned here are backed by many customers' reviews online.