How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Kentucky (The Guide)
If you're launching a limited liability company in Kentucky, it's a smart idea to know about the processing times offered by the Secretary of State so that you and other LLC members understand how long it'll take for the LLC to be registered.
As a Master's Degree holder in tax law and an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions, I helped clients establish joint organizations in various states.
Teaming up with our certified LLC experts in Kentucky, we took the time to research the processing times of incorporating an LLC in the state.
Additionally, different professional LLC formation services in Kentucky are available, offering to take care of the entire process of forming your LLC.
- It takes 1-5 business days to form an LLC in Kentucky by mail and online.
- The Kentucky Secretary of State does not offer expedited service.
- Kentucky experienced a significant increase of 16.7% in business filings during the first nine months of 2023 compared to the same period in 2022, totaling 40,836 applications. As a result, it is imperative for LLC owners to gain familiarity with the process of starting a business.
- To prevent delays with the processing time, prepare all legal documents and comply with state requirements.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Kentucky?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Kentucky takes an average of 1 business day to process the application .
The state does not offer expedited service, since they have standardized the processing time to 1 business day.
As long as your documents are in order and the requirements are complete, the standard time of application will apply.
LLC Processing Time in Kentucky
According to the US Small Business Administration, 11,644 new establishments opened in the state from March 2021 to March 2022. This underscores the importance of prudent decision-making, as outlined in your Kentucky LLC operating agreement, prior to proceeding with the opening process.
The processing time for an LLC in Kentucky is the standard time it takes the SOS to receive and approve the articles of formation.
The Kentucky SOS offers a variety of filing options, which include the following:
1. Non-Expedited Kentucky LLC Processing Time By Mail (1-5 business days)
The Kentucky Secretary of State takes 1-5 business days to process mail submissions.
To file by mail, I had to download the articles of organization online.
Once you fill in all details, write the correct mailing address on the envelope, and remember to attach the $40 filing fee as a money order or check.
You can submit your articles of organization to this official address:
Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 718
Frankfort, KY 40602-0718
2. Kentucky LLC Processing Time Online (1-5 business days)
Registration paperwork for limited liability companies submitted online is processed instantly or within 5 business days the same day of filing. I prefer applying online since it's more efficient and convenient.
You can file an LLC online on the Kentucky SOS website for $40. The business filings option is available on the SOS online service index .
3. Kentucky LLC Processing Time In Person (1-5 business days)
In-person LLC filings are reviewed and approved on the same day of submission, but this can vary depending on the time of your filing and the volume of the application.
Note that in-person filings are only available between 8:00 AM-4:30 PM ET.
Submit your articles of organization in person to this office address:
Room 152, Capitol Building
700 Capital Avenue
Frankfort, KY 40601
"Utilizing professional guidance familiar with Kentucky's business regulations can expedite the LLC formation process and ensure compliance."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Kentucky LLCs
Although the state of Kentucky standardized the processing time, there are several factors that may prolong the application. These include the following:
- Volume of filing: The number of transactions received by the state may delay the approval time. The documents are reviewed in the order they are received.
- Documentation issues: If the legal paperwork you submitted doesn’t follow state requirements, you have to correct the mistake and refile your application. That’s why I tell clients to review the documents before filing.
- Weekends or holidays: Documents are only reviewed and processed during regular business hours. Filing your formation papers before the weekend or holiday will prolong the processing time.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Kentucky LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You can check your Kentucky LLC formation during the processing period by checking your online portal. Once the application has been approved, you’ll receive an email confirmation.
Can a Registered Agent Expedite the Process of Forming an LLC in Kentucky?
A registered agent cannot expedite the process of forming an LLC in Kentucky since the Secretary of State determines processing and approval times.
How Much Does It Cost To Register an LLC in Kentucky?
It costs $40 to register an LLC in Kentucky. This amount covers the processing of the Kentucky articles of organization.