How Long Does It Take To Form An LLC In South Dakota? (2023)
If you’re planning to establish a South Dakota LLC, you have to consider the processing time, costing, and the factors that may affect the formation process.
Being a seasoned business consultant, I had the opportunity to work with multiple clients. I have experienced and am familiar with the time it takes to form an LLC in South Dakota.
After consulting LLC experts in the state, I’ll share with you the insights I gathered regarding the formation process and costing.
- It takes 3 to 5 business days to form an LLC in South Dakota if you filed by mail while online filings are approved in real time.
- South Dakota offers expedited filing option by mail which costs $50 plus the filing fee of $165. The LLC is approved within 1 to 2 business days.
- There are several factors that affect the LLC formation timeline and may prolong the filing process.
- I have experienced through clients and colleagues that it’s important to submit the proper documentation, requirements and pay the corresponding fees to avoid any delays.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in South Dakota?
The fastest way to start an LLC in South Dakota is by filing your documents using the online platform. The application is processed in real time.
To file online, visit the South Dakota Secretary of State website’s Division of Business Services. Payments available for online processing include MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards .
There is no additional cost for filing online, you’ll only need to pay the corresponding LLC application fee.
LLC Processing Time in South Dakota
The LLC processing time in South Dakota varies depending on the method of filing you choose – online, paper submission or expedited option.
1. Expedited South Dakota LLC Processing Time By Mail
South Dakota offers expedited service for mail filings at an additional cost of $50. The approval time takes 1 to 2 business days .
You can download and print the articles of organization form online and mail it to this address:
Secretary of State Office
500 E Capitol Ave Pierre, SD 57501
2. Non-Expedited South Dakota LLC Processing Time By Mail
Forming an LLC in South Dakota by mail typically takes 3 to 5 business days to be approved.
The actual filing takes around 1 to 2 business days, with additional processing time for your South Dakota LLC documents to be sent to you by mail.
There is an additional $15 processing fee when filing by mail. This fee is in addition to the initial LLC cost .
3. South Dakota LLC Processing Time Online
If you file online, you can expect the request to get processed immediately.
Once payment is approved, a PDF copy of your certificate of organization is immediately available for download. Note that the Secretary of State won’t send mail and e-mail copies of this document.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of South Dakota LLCs
There are several factors that affect the formation timeline of South Dakota LLCs. These include the following:
- Workload or volume of application: Your application may also be delayed if the agency has to process a considerable volume of applications. Technical problems or a depleted workforce may compound this.
- Documentation issues: If the document contains inaccurate information or is lacking the required data, the state agency will not proceed with the application. I always tell my clients to review the forms before submitting them.
- Processing errors: Processiong errors or payment issues may delay the application as well. Be sure to use the right payment method.
- Weekends or holidays: Government agencies don’t typically conduct business during the weekends or holidays, as such, the processing time would be prolonged.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in South Dakota
- How much Does an LLC Cost in South Dakota
- Changing an LLC name in South Dakota
Do I Need an LLC Business License In South Dakota?
You need an LLC business license in South Dakota, even though your limited liability company does’t have a physical location.
Do I Need To LLC Pay Business Taxes In South Dakota?
You don’t need to pay LLC business taxes in South Dakota unless your limited liability company is taxed as a corporation. However, members still have to pay through their individual tax returns.
What Is The Sales Tax Percentage For A South Dakota LLC?
The sales tax percentage for a South Dakota LLC is 4.5 percent. Every business that sells a product or service needs to apply with the Department of Revenue to get a sales tax license.
South Dakota LLC Processing Times
South Dakota LLC processing times vary depending on the method of filing – mail or paper submission, and may be extended due to several factors, such as volume of application, documentation issues, processing errors and weekends or holidays.
To help you with the process, you can employ an LLC formation service. They will help with the online filing, submission of required forms and annual reports to keep your LLC in good standing.
These top LLC formation services in South Dakota can guide you through the process and help create your limited liability company.