If you plan on launching an LLC in Nebraska, you should know how long the Nebraska Secretary of State takes to receive, verify and process your LLC incorporation documents.
Working with our qualified business consultants who've been in the LLC industry for almost two decades, we spent eight weeks researching the available Nebraska LLC filing options and processing times.
Here's a summary of everything you need to know regarding LLC processing time in Nebraska.
- It takes 7 business days to form an LLC in Nevada by mail and 1-2 business days if you file online.
- Nevada LLCs can file their registration paperwork online, in person, or by mail.
- All online LLC filings are done via the Corporate Document eDelivery platform on the SOS website.
How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Nebraska?
It takes 1 week or 7 business days to form an LLC in Nebraska by mail, up to 2 days for online filings, and one week for in-person filings.
Nebraska LLC Processing Time
When opening a new LLC or sole proprietorship in Nebraska, you must register the entity with the Secretary of State and submit the Nebraska LLC certificate of organization .
Here's a brief breakdown of the LLC processing times of each filing method the SOS offers.
1. Online Filings
Online LLC filing in Nebraska can be done on the SOS office website under the Corporate Document eDelivery platform .
Online document filing takes 1-2 business days to be reviewed and approved.
Once the SOS processes your LLC registration documents, you'll receive an email notification message.
You can check and track your filing status by clicking the "Filing History" tab on your dashboard.
If you're a frequent filer, the SOS has a subscriber account you can create and use every time you file online.
Once you register for the account, you only need to log in and start filing.
The difference between subscriber and non-subscriber accounts is that the former allows you to file multiple documents simultaneously and has a discounted filing fee. At the same time, the latter only facilitates filing one document at a time.
Additionally, note that while non-subscribers pay using a credit card (Visa, Discover, Mastercard, or American Express), users of the subscriber account make payments via the bank account on file.
There's a minimum of $2 fee on every transaction completed online to cover the operating costs.
2. Mail Filings
You can submit your domestic or foreign LLC registration papers by mail and pay the $110 filing fee.
The LLC processing time, which includes the time it takes to process mail submissions and their mailing, is completed within 7 business days.
Unfortunately, the SOS doesn't offer expedited processing time for registration documents.
If you file your LLC by mail, the SOS mandates you include a cover letter with details, including your name and phone number.
The SOS will call you through the contact number in case of any queries or if some points need to be amended.
You should also include the correct filing fees in the form of checks or money orders, failure to which the Secretary of State's Corporate Department will reject your application.
All checks and money orders are payable to the Nevada Secretary of State.
Here's the official mailing address:
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 94608
Lincoln, NE 68509-4608
3. In-person Filings
The Nebraska SOS offers walk-ins for business registration. In-person submissions may take up to 1 week to be approved, depending on the filing volume.
Once you download the certificate of organization form online, fill it out, download it and print it.
Remember to include an electronic signature of the director under the signature line to avoid disqualifications.
Payments for in-person filings can be made using checks or money orders.
You can take your in-person filing to the following physical address:
Secretary of State
Lincoln, NE 68509
4. Expedited Filing
Expedited service in Nebraska is available upon request.
If you want to have your registration papers approved within the same day of filing, you should contact the Secretary of State Business Services Division at (402) 471-4079.
The staff will guide you on expedited shipping and the fees you should pay for the service.
Steps To Start an LLC in Nebraska
Follow these steps to start an LLC in Nebraska.
- Step 1: Look up for an LLC in Nebraska and pick a business name for your entity in accordance with the Nebraska business law and LLC naming guidelines.
- Step 2: Appoint your own Nebraska registered agent service, an individual or business entity, who'll handle legal notices and correspondence on behalf of your company.
- Step 3: File and submit your certificate of organization to the SOS to officially register your LLC in the state of Nebraska.
- Step 4: Submit an affidavit of publication within 45 days after incorporating the Nebraska limited liability company.
- Step 5: Obtain a confirmation certificate from the Nebraska Secretary of State once all your documents are legally approved.
- Step 6: Draft an LLC operating agreement to guide how you’ll conduct business in Nebraska.
- Step 7: Register for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). A federal tax identification number is used to collect sales tax, open a business bank account or hire employees for your company.
- Step 8: Open a business bank account to separate your personal and business assets and revenue.
- Step 9: Apply for an LLC business license.
- Step 10: Register your LLC with Nebraska State's tax agency.
Can You Form an LLC in Nebraska Online?
Yes, you can file an LLC in Nebraska online. It takes between 1 to 2 business days to have your registration papers approved.
What's the Fastest Way To Get an LLC in Nebraska?
The fastest way to get an LLC in Nebraska is to file your articles of organization online. Online LLC filings are approved within 1-2 business days.
Should You Hire an LLC Service in Nebraska?
Owning a Nebraska LLC is a smart business idea because LLCs in this state are easier to manage and offer flexible taxation systems.
If you're thinking about starting your LLC registration process but need help with filing the appropriate paperwork, here's a list of the best Nebraska LLC services you can hire to help you out.
These professional services will not launch your Nebraska LLC faster, but they have professionals who'll provide expert filing guidance and handle your compliance throughout.
In addition to the wholesome formation service features and excellent customer service team, these companies also offer affordable registered agent services for a whole year to keep your LLC in the right standing with the SOS.