Your registered agent will be responsible for receiving and managing legal documents on your business's behalf, so you need to be sure that you can trust them to handle these responsibilities in a timely and professional manner.
By following the detailed and thorough approach to evaluating different services, we were able to determine which registered agent services offer the best combination of price and quality.
Here is how these companies compare based on their customer support, features, packages, and other services essential for a quality registered agent.
Top Registered Agent Services in 2022 (January 2023)
1 - Northwest Registered Agent (Editor's Choice)
Since opening for business in 1998, Northwest Registered Agent has established itself as a leading provider of registered agent services.
We found that Northwest Registered Agent distinguishes itself from the competition with its complimentary email service that handled all our incoming and outgoing emails and provided digital mail scanning and forwarding.
- Registered Agent Services (starts at $125): This is a stand-alone service. They also offer $100 for national registered agent service when your business is in multiple states.
- LLC Formation Services (starts at $39): If you need basic business needs and are responsible for paying the additional state filing fee.
- Data protection and privacy
- Great customer service
- 20 years of in this business field
- Very clear in their fees
- A complimentary 1-year registered agent service in their basic package
- Not the most affordable on the market
2 - ZenBusiness
ZenBusiness provides registered agent service at an affordable price - just $99 for the first year and only $199 annually after that.
Additionally, if you purchase registered agent services bundled with Worry-Free Compliance service, you can be confident your business is in good hands at all times.
When we bundled services, we were charged $199 for the first year, an exceptional value, and will cost you $398 per year after that. This feature-packed bundle is an unbeatable deal that can help you get your start in business as efficiently and affordably as possible.
- Registered Agent Services ($199/year): They ensure your compliance with the law, are always safe, and are carefully organized.
- LLC service packages (starts at $49): Best for businesses on a budget who want a free Worry-Free Compliance service along with an LLC business formation service. 25% off for registered agent service in all formation packages, Starter ($49), Pro ($199), and Premium ($299)
- Reasonable and clear price structure
- Extended chat customer support
- Has earned favorable testimonials from clients
- Offers a risk-free guarantee
- They are not yet well known in industry
3 - IncFile
IncFile is one of the cheapest online registered agent services that offers tiered pricing, making it accessible for many business entities. If you're starting a new business and budget is an issue, the company offers a free registered agent service.
Like all registered agents, IncFile will accept all tax and legal documents on your behalf. We found their online dashboard to check and retrieve your documents incredibly easy to navigate.
- Registered Agent Services ($119): Renewal fee of $119 after the first year of free service.
- LLC Formation Services (starts at $0): All packages have a free-one year professional registered agent service for one year if you avail of their LLC formation packages.
- Helpful online portal
- No-charge for registered agent service included in LLC service packages
- Order processing is quick
- True to its price
- Limited customer support
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer is a popular online legal service with a wide range of legal options for both company and individual requirements.
If you avail of their premium membership, which costs $39.99 per month, their registered agent service will offer a 25% discount.
If you are not sure about their company, they are providing a 7-day free trial enjoying the benefit of premium members like a few free attorney services and legal document templates.
- Registered Agent Services ($149.99/year for non-members): They offer their premium members a 25% discount.
- Formation of LLC services ($99.99 for non-members): Free formation packages for new members and 25% off after that (excluding state fees).
- Provides great legal templates
- Has a 7-day free trial period
- Online legal services and consultation
- Not the most affordable option
- Limited customer support
5 - My Company Works
My Company Works has its best refund policy feature where the company covers you if you're unsatisfied. You have a 90-day window to request a refund.
They offer an online application called the "Startup Wizard" for launching your firm that involves an accounting system, obtaining a business license, or opening a bank account.
There is also an additional $99 for registered agent service, EIN ($59), and exclusive premiums for the LLC formation package.
- Registered Agent Services ($99): It is free for the entrepreneur package ($199) and the complete package ($279)
- LLC Formation-basic package ($59 plus state fee): A unique package with a free business logo, $250,000+ in rewards and startup discounts, complimentary E-book, Start-up wizard, and lifetime vendor network access.
- Favorable comments from clients
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Startup wizard online app
- Does not include registered agent service for a basic package
- A bit pricey for the same competitor's inclusions
6 - Harbor Compliance
The company's most significant standing point is its personalized customer support.
Harbor Compliance offers several special deals, including an extended-term agent-registration contract that significantly saves your business. If you pay upfront for multiple years, you can save 5–10% on your total bill.
The company’s expedited LLC formation starts at $299 up to $499 for premium packages.
- Registered Agent Service ($89 - $99)/year): If you choose more than two years (2+ years) of service, you can receive a discount of 5%–10%. Registered agent service doesn't include all LLC formation packages from Standard to Premium.
- LLC Standard Formation (starts at $99): A basic formation package that includes name availability search and Articles of Organization.
- Ultimate Convenience feature
- Personal customer service
- Same-day document access
- Registered agent service is not included in formation packages
- Fewer registered agent services
7 - LegalZoom
LegalZoom offers price plans that are both reasonable and flexible. The best thing about this company is that when you avail $299 registered agent service, there are no options for additional fees.
While several competitors offer lower pricing, LegalZoom offers more capabilities in addition to simple document forwarding.
In addition to allowing you to set your business hours, the best-registered agent provides you with a layer of privacy as an owner and helps avoid fines.
- Registered Agent Services ($299/year): includes $1 million identity theft protection, credit monitoring, mail notifications, a compliance calendar with email alerts for tax and annual report deadlines (a $69 value), and unlimited cloud document storage.
- "Start now, decide later" feature ($249): You will not be charged the first year fee until you submit your filing documents to the state.
- Business Advisory Plan (starts at 39.08/month): Access to an attorney for legal advice.
- LLC Economy Formation Package ($79): Process complete in 20 business days.
- LLC Standard Formation Package ($329): Completion in 10 business plus Founder's kit & personalized notebook
- LLC Express Gold Formation Package ($349): 2 to 5 business days est. completion time includes the standard package plus expedited processing (within 24 hours*) and Express shipping.
- Refund policy of 60 days
- Easy-to-use online platform
- Low-cost access to some of their other legal services
- Expensive registered agent service
- Add-ons are expensive
8 - Swyft Filings
While Swyft Filings' registered agent service may not be as comprehensive as some of its competitors, it does offer a good solution for smaller businesses looking for a very low-cost option.
They provide two monthly installments in all their packages.
Also, the company offers a 100% money-back guarantee which only applies if an error occurs while completing your LLC formation order.
- Registered Agent Services ($149/quarter): Not included in LLC service packages and costs $596 annually.
- Basic LLC formation services ($49): plus state filing fee, depending on the location.
- Standard LLC formation service ($149): Includes EIN, LLC Operating Agreement, banking resolution document, organizational minutes
- Premium LLC formation service ($299): Includes digital LLC kit, website, and 90 days of web hosting.
- Flexible pricing
- Direct and reliable customer service
- Guarantee against errors
- A large number of upsells
- Registered agent service not included
9 - Incorp
The Price-match guarantee is the most remarkable aspect of their pricing model.
As a result, their pricing is more flexible and competitive. They also offer volume discounts for registered agent service in multiple states.
You may also rely on them to protect your data with a high level of security. Any LLC created using them has its legal information protected. EntityWatch, a unique system, will be protected against identity theft through EntityWatch.
- Registered Agent Services (starts at $129): purchasing multiple years will save you money because the five-year plan only costs $87 per year.
- LLC Formation basic (starts at $99): Prices start at $99 plus state fees, depending on the location. Free registered agent service doesn't include in all of their formation packages.
- Has an app with IOS compatibility
- EntityWatch's anti-identity theft feature
- Price match assurance
- Fewer customer feedback online
- Registered agent service is not included in their packages
10 - Tailor Brands
With TailorBrands, you can quickly and easily create a cohesive brand experience with their comprehensive services that cover everything from building websites to creating a logo utilizing AI logo designer, making business cards using digital technology, and more.
Tailor brands advise going with the premium (Elite plan, $199/year)if you want a complete package excluding registered agent services.
- Registered Agent Services (an additional $199): you will be asked during the application process.
- LLC Formation ($35/year): The most basic plan ($49/year) offers the distinct creation of LLC services. The registered agent service is an additional fee above formation packages.
- Cost-effective LLC service
- Includes tools for branding
- Easy-to-use online dashboard
- Not suitable companies with very basic needs
- Customer support is limited
With so many registered agent services out there, it can be hard to choose the right one for your business. We have reviewed the best and most popular companies for anyone's budget. We compared top registered agents in 2022, highlighting their pros and cons.
Our goal is to help small business owners in all US states with LLC formation.
Best Registered Agent Services - Choose Your State:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Registered Agent Service?
Utilizing a registered agent service to handle your legal papers has significant advantages .
1. It Frees Up Your Time
You can focus more on building your own business rather than on paperwork.
2. Privacy Protection
Your personal information remains private .
3. Worry-free Compliance Guarantee
Leading registered agent services ensure that legal correspondence will reach your company promptly and quickly .
4. Availability of Your Business
Quickly expand your company to other states. If you are planning to grow your business, having the best-registered agent service in place makes more sense than acting as your own in your home state and then changing it once your company expands.
5. Less Paperwork
You can focus more on growing your business without thinking of the paperwork.
How Much Does a Registered Agent Service Cost?
Registered agent service costs from $89- $299. Some companies are offering registered agents free of charge when you get their LLC formation packages while others are offering these services as an add-on.
Our Selection Process
We have evaluated the cost of using the registered agent, comparing rates across various providers to find the best value options. We seek the best-registered agent services who can provide us with the utmost professionalism and integrity.
We look at the following criteria:
- Service Features
- Pricing mode
- Online Dashboard
- Turnaround time
- Customer Support
After carefully evaluating and analyzing all these factors, our three top registered agent services stand out.
Can I Act as My Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can act as your own registered agent. But, this could cause problems if you don't have a fixed place of business or aren't present during regular business hours.
Do I Need a Registered Agent?
Yes, you need a registered agent for your LLC formation or corporation if your business is registered within the state. It is usually called a statutory or resident agent, depending on your business's state.
Can a Registered Agent Be Allowed to Have a Virtual Address?
No, a registered agent cannot be allowed to have a virtual address. The business must select a registered agent who maintains a physical address in the state where it is permitted to operate.
What Does a Registered Agent Do?
A registered agent will receive, on your behalf, specific types of legal documents, such as state, regulatory, and tax-related ones. A registered agent will then share these documents by one or more of the following methods; digitally through an online portal, scanning and sending via email, and forwarding to your physical address.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent?
A registered agent can be an individual over 18 years of age or a business entity with a physical address in the state of business operation and who is available during standard business hours.
Can the Sole Member of an LLC Be the Registered Agent?
Yes, the sole member of an LLC can act as the registered agent for the business. Remember, doing so may restrict running and growing your business as you must be present at the address during standard business hours to receive legal, tax, and state correspondence.
Do I Need a Registered Agent for My LLC?
Yes, you need to appoint a registered agent for your LLC. All formal business entities like corporations and LLCs are required to list a registered agent. Common law business entities like sole proprietorships and general partnerships do not have the same requirement.
The Best Recommended Registered Agent Service
Our guidelines are designed to help you choose the best-registered agent service that will meet your needs and exceed them at every turn.
In their 20 years in the industry, Northwest Registered Agent is the best-registered agent service that has proven to be a highly experienced and trusted choice for registered agents.
Northwest Registered Agent's comprehensive pricing model is designed to ensure business owners can afford the services with quality service. Our experience with their responsive customer support team that was ready to resolve any issues during the formation process is what set them apart from the rest.