As a seasoned business professional myself with a lot of experience in LLC formation, I understand the advantages of using formation services when creating a limited liability company in West Virginia.
However, selecting the right service for your new business may be tricky.
To assist you in making an informed, we have consulted our legal experts and thoroughly tested the top LLC services available in the region.
We aimed to provide you with an insightful overview of the benefits and drawbacks of the leading West Virginia LLC service.
5 Best West Virginia LLC Services (September 2023)
1 - ZenBusinessWould you recommend ZenBusiness?
ZenBusiness Registered Agent streamlines the process of submitting legal documents for small business owners, offering a cost-effective and hassle-free solution.
While they may not be the most popular option, they offer excellent business formation services at affordable rates.
For just $199 for the first year and an equivalent annual fee after that, ZenBusiness provides pretty decent registered agent services.
We combined their registered agent services with their Worry-Free Compliance service and were very satisfied with the results.
Another significant advantage of working with ZenBusiness is exceptional customer service.
Drawing from our experience, their support staff is knowledgeable and helpful. We liked that they are transparent with their additional add-ons as well.
ZenBusiness's registered agent and compliance services are a good option for anyone seeking an efficient way to launch a business.
- Starter ($0 + $100 State Fee): Simple filing, a company bank account, compliance, Website Builder, Money Pro Bookkeeping, and cost monitoring are included in their starter package. Additionally, you can expect a 100% accuracy guarantee and a standard filing speed that ensures your documents are ready in approximately 2 to 3 weeks. As an option, Zen Business presents worry-free compliance free for the first year, with the opportunity to renew at $199/year if chosen.
- Pro ($199 + $100 State Fee): Besides the Starter package, this package has the fastest "rush" filing speed of up to 1 to 2 business days and includes West Virginia articles of organization and guided LLC running management or the operating agreement template at $99 and an EIN.
- Premium ($349 + $100 State Fee): This plan includes all Pro plan features, a website for your West Virginia LLC firm, business document templates, a personalized domain, and email. Remember that West Virginia Secretary state fees are included in the total price.
- Registered Agent Services ($199): This is the cost of hiring a registered agent without the other services.
- They provide a number of formation package options
- The price of each bundle is reasonable
- They provide stress-free filing
- Their setup time is quick
- Has a lot of positive feedback from customers
- Formation of non-profit business is not supported
2 - Northwest Registered AgentWould you recommend Northwest Registered Agent?
Northwest Registered Agent is a respected and established provider of registered agent services, known for their quality offerings in the industry.
If you're looking for professional registered agent services that are complimentary with the establishment of your LLC, Northwest Registered Agent is a fantastic option.
They provide a West Virginia registered agent service for free for the first 365 days after your company is established, and for $125 each year after that is a prominent selling feature.
Of all the business formation services we've tested, Northwest Registered Agent had the best customer support team.
One of their seasoned support staff members was always available to answer just about any query, no matter how simple or complex, and they did so with accuracy and speed.
The layout of the purchase forms and checkout pages clearly indicates each feature's price. Their web dashboard, which conveniently arranges all of your papers, is very useful.
- LLC creation ($39 + $125 State Fee): The Northwest business formation service costs this fixed fee to form any company in West Virginia, whether a corporation, a limited liability company, or a nonprofit.
- EIN Filing ($50): If you don't have the time to go through the application steps, you can pay Northwest to do the legwork for you.
- West Virginia Registered Agent ($125): They also offer registered agent services to small business owners in West Virginia.
- Twenty years of experience
- Client privacy is given a priority
- Open-book pricing
- Free registration as an agent for one year with the formation package
- Not the most affordable
3 - IncFileWould you recommend IncFile?
Incfile is an online registered agent service provider that offers tiered pricing, making it accessible to many businesses.
They can even provide free registered agent services if you are starting a new business and are operating on a tight budget.
IncFile offers a good selection of LLC formation services. Their online dashboard for checking and retrieving legal documents is highly user-friendly, making the process effortless.
We were impressed with the quality of their customer support team.
They offered useful advice and expertly guided us through every step of the process in a professional and approachable manner, leaving us with the impression that our business was their top priority.
- Silver Plan ($45 + $125 State Fee): This is their lowest LLC formation plan and includes the necessities for getting your business started.
- Gold Plan ($244 + $125 State Fee): Includes features of the lower plan plus bank resolution documents.
- Platinum Plan ($344 + $125 State Fee): Offers everything in the Silver and Gold plans, plus expedited shipping and VIP processing.
- EIN acquisition ($70): You need an Employee Identification Number (EIN) to open a bank account and file taxes in West Virginia .
- Provide affordable LLC creation services
- 1 year of free registered agent service included in the LLC creation package
- Collaborated with more than 800,000 businesses
- Quick customer assistance through phone and email
- Slower turnaround times
4 - Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer has provided online assistance with business creation to over 25 million clients. Their high volume of clients attests to their proficiency in LLC-related initiatives.
Rocket Lawyer focuses on helping customers form their LLCs while keeping total legal expenses to a minimum.
We found their user interface to be quite warm and inviting. We were able to handle our LLC formation paperwork and other pertinent legal documents with just a few clicks using our Rocket Lawyer login.
Based on the type of West Virginia businesses you operate, the site also provides ideas on how to run it efficiently.
- West Virginia LLC Formation Service ($39 + $125 State Fee): This package includes the essential legal documents needed to form and run your business, an operating agreement, and West Virginia articles of incorporation.
- West Virginia registered agent ($125): With this package, Rocket Lawyer will function as your main point of contact with the West Virginia secretary of state. They will also provide a West Virginia business address where your legal paperwork will be mailed during normal business hours to help you stay compliant.
- They receive a lot of customers
- Extended customer assistance
- Exceptional online ratings
- Less transparent pricing structure
- Fewer features are included in lower subscriptions
5 - Swyft Filings
With Swyft Filings, forming an LLC is quick and straightforward as they have a swift turnaround.
Swyft Filings has partnered with an accounting firm to offer its West Virginia clients counseling on handling their LLCs' tax and accounting facets effectively.
Swyft Filings also offers the most incredible support team, and they work with you to have your paperwork completed and filed in a timely way.
They are welcoming and foster a welcoming atmosphere, so you feel comfortable asking any queries. We had a great experience with their customer support team.
However, it's a bummer that this LLC provider doesn't offer a free registered agent service in their formation plan.
- Basic ($0 + $125 State Fee): The Basic package covers establishing your business, filing your articles of organization, and checking the availability of your desired name.
- Standard ($199 + $125 State Fee): This bundle comes with everything from the previous plan, a customized financial resolution, an operating agreement, organizational minutes, and TIN registration.
- Premium ($299 + $125 State Fee): All other package services are offered as part of the premium plan, along with free business site hosting and e-delivery of state paperwork.
- Price range flexibility
- Installments are an option
- The promise of a refund for 60 days
- Excluding registered agent services
- Numerous functions are contracted out
Advantages of Creating an LLC in West Virginia
Setting up your business as an LLC in West Virginia offers numerous advantages, such as:
1. Pass-Through Taxation
Pass-through taxation refers to the principle that your LLC in West Virginia is not liable for taxes on its own .
Instead, you deduct taxes from your income, so business profits or losses won't appear on your tax return.
By doing this, you avoid the disadvantage of double taxation, which firms encounter when they pay taxes at both the individual and company levels.
2. Liability Protection
Forming an LLC may fortify the border between your business and personal assets. Therefore, if your firm is sued, your personal assets cannot be used to pay off debts or commitments.
3. Flexible Management Structure
In West Virginia, an LLC is member-managed by default. This means that an LLC can be managed by members, allowing all owners to participate in day-to-day decision-making.
Professional corporate managers, who might be members or outsiders, can also run the firm.
This is useful if members wish to recruit somebody with more business expertise to run their firm professionally.
4. Easy To Start and Manage
Initial paperwork and fees for establishing an LLC are typically low, and states impose reasonable fees and taxes.
The procedure is also straightforward enough for owners to undertake without specialized knowledge, although getting advice from a lawyer or accountant is a good idea.
5. Reduced Paperwork
Corporations are highly regulated and need far more paperwork than LLCs. LLCs do not need a board of directors, meeting minutes, or shareholder meetings.
This means spending far less time and money keeping records and filing compliance-related documentation.
Our Selection Process
Because hiring an LLC service to incorporate and run your business is crucial, we only selected the best ones that offer great service features, faster turnarounds, prompt customer service, and affordable prices.
1. Service Features
We researched every West Virginia LLC service and chose those with great package features.
We choose LLC services that offer beneficial and important service aspects, particularly for startups, such as easy and fast compliance and practical tax options.
2. Turnaround Times
During our research, we were looking for an LLC service with a quick turnaround, ideally 1–5 business days. We also filed orders with different providers and ranked those that offered express shipping in West Virginia.
As a business owner, when looking to hire an LLC service provider, you want one with the fastest turnaround so that your LLC formation and compliance procedures are completed as quickly as possible.
3. Customer Service
We ensured that any LLC we recommended had top-notch knowledge, keen attention to detail, and quick response times.
We confirmed this by contacting different support teams via phone, email, and chat and rated how fast and professionally they responded to us.
4. Price Points
While evaluating service providers in West Virginia, we assessed the various pricing strategies to determine which service or package provides the most value for money.
After signing up for many packages, we evaluated the ones we thought were the most cost-effective while still providing the essential features that business owners need to get started.
West Virginia LLC Creation Process
Sometimes hiring an LLC service provider can be expensive.
If you want to start a West Virginia LLC on your own, here are the steps you should follow:
- Step 1: Do multiple name searches and verifiability.
- Step 2: Choose a registered agent with a physical office in West Virginia.
- Step 3: File and submit your LLC's charter documents.
- Step 4: Create different LLC operating agreements.
- Step 5: Acquire an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for bank account creation purposes.
- Step 6: Open a business entity bank account.
- Step 7: Get a West Virginia business license.
Is West Virginia a Good State for LLCs?
Yes, West Virginia is a good state for LLCs because it offers one of the most business-friendly corporate tax systems and has no franchise tax, like some other states.
What Is the Tax Rate for LLC in West Virginia?
The tax rate for LLCs in West Virginia is 3%-6.5% depending on income bracket and 15.3% for self-employment tax rate.
Do LLCs Pay Taxes in West Virginia?
No, LLCs do not pay taxes in West Virginia as they are pass-through entities. However, members are subject to a 3-6.5% personal income tax and a 15.3% federal self-employment rate.
Which Best LLC Service in West Virginia Should You Hire?
Based on our thorough research and firsthand experience, we recommend ZenBusiness as the optimal choice for establishing an LLC in West Virginia.
ZenBusiness stands out for its extensive range of LLC services and excellent customer support, making them a top pick. Their services are also highly affordable and efficient, providing all the necessary components for your business's success.
We were very satisfied with ZenBusiness's LLC formation service packages, registered agent services, and prompt processing times during our engagement with them.
They also have extended hours for customer assistance, and you can be confident that problems will be fixed in a timely manner.