How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in North Dakota?
While you may want to get your North Dakota LLC running, it's crucial to understand how long the North Dakota Secretary of State takes to approve your registration documents.
Working with our LLC specialists and business consultants with over a decade of experience in the industry, we've researched the LLC creation in North Dakota and the processing times of different formation paperwork.
Here's what you should anticipate.
- It takes up to 4 weeks to form an LLC in North Dakota by mail and 5 business days online.
- The North Dakota Secretary of State doesn't offer any optional expedited service due to high volume of business filings.
- Factors that may extend the processing time includes workload volume, document issues and weekends and holidays.
- I’ve assisted several clients to form an LLC in North Dakota and learned that it is best to apply during the start of the business week, with all the documents intact.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in North Dakota?
The fastest way to start an LLC in North Dakota is through online applications, since the processing is completed within 5 business days.
However, the approval time could be extended for up to 4 weeks due to the high volume of business filings .
LLC Processing Time in North Dakota
The LLC processing time in North Dakota varies depending on the filing method – online or by mail.
1. Expedited North Dakota LLC Processing Time By Mail and Online
After thorough research, I discovered that the state of North Dakota does not offer expedited services online or by mail and only standard applications are available.
2. Non-Expedited North Dakota LLC Processing Time By Mail
My clients and colleagues have attested that standard mail filings are processed within 4 weeks, depending on the volume of application.
It costs $135 to file your domestic articles of organization by mail.
Large and small LLC owners in North Dakota can only make postal filing payments with money orders or checks payable to the Secretary of State; no cash or credit cards are accepted.
Business entities can direct their mail filing to the following physical address:
Secretary of State
State of North Dakota
600 E Boulevard Avenue Dept 108
Bismarck ND 58505-05001
3. North Dakota LLC Processing Time Online
Online submissions are typically processed within 5 business days, but may be extended due to heavy document workloads.
Visit the state website and choose the entity type you want to register on the homepage. Follow the onscreen commands to access the articles of organization PDF form.
Fill in the details and complete the process by paying the $135 filing fee using a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express).
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of North Dakota LLCs
Generally, the filing times for an LLC in North Dakota fall within the established timeframe based on the method by which you filed. However, there are several reasons that the process may be extended:
- Volume of applications: The main factor that could prolong the formation of an LLC in North Dakota is the volume of applications that the agency has to process.
- Documentation issues: The process may also be delayed if you fail to submit all the necessary documents, provide inaccurate information or lacking details.
- Weekends and holidays: Since the North Dakota Secretary of State does not typically conduct business on weekends and holidays, filings before this time may be extended for a few days.
Do You Need an LLC Business License in North Dakota?
You need an LLC business license in North Dakota if your company engages on selling specific merchandise and offers professional services.
Is North Dakota a Good State For an LLC?
North Dakota is a good state for an LLC. Apart from having a low 2.9% personal income tax rate, state business law allows LLCs to be taxed as corporations with a flat tax rate of 1.41-4.31%. In addition to lower formation costs, you enjoy fewer compliance responsibilities and easy management.
North Dakota LLC Processing Time
North Dakota LLC processing times will depend on the method of filing and other several factors that can affect the formation timeline.
It is best to employ a professional service provider to help you with the process.
After thoroughly examining the various LLC services in this state, we selected the top LLC formation services in North Dakota that match all of the criteria.
They will ensure that your legal documents are filed accurately and on time per North Dakota laws.
You'll also get access to registered agent services and advice on how to run and successfully manage an LLC in North Dakota.