How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in Alaska (The Guide)
Establishing an Alaska limited liability company may be an excellent strategy to protect your assets while taking advantage of beneficial tax situations.
If you're thinking about incorporating an LLC in Alaska, you should be aware of the time it takes the Secretary of State to receive, evaluate, and approve your Articles of Organization.
Working with our qualified business consultants who have been in the LLC industry for almost a decade, we spent weeks researching the available Alaska LLC filing options and processing times.
Here's everything you need to know.
- It takes 10 to 15 business days to form an LLC in Alaska online and by mail.
- The Alaska Secretary of State does not offer expedited online and mail filing shipping options.
- Filing time may be prolonged in Alaska during the months of October to February.
- Since I’ve been helping small business owners form an LLC, I advise them to comply with state requirements and submit all documents to have their business approved within the standard time.
What is The Fastest Way to Start an LLC in Alaska?
The fastest way to start an LLC in Alaska is by filing online since the application is approved right away.
You must pay the $250 filing fee using a credit card when filing your documents. Based on our research, there are no refund policies for online payments.
Once the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development approves your registration, you can access and download the forms directly from the website.
LLC Processing Time in Alaska
The Secretary of State offers two filing options for registering your LLC in Alaska. You can submit your registration papers either online on the SOS website or by mail .
Regardless of the filing method you choose to submit your Articles of Organization, it's important to note that the SOS doesn't offer expedited processing in Alaska.
1. Non-Expedited Alaska LLC Processing Time By Mail (10-15 business days)
LLC registration documents submitted via mail typically take 10-15 business days to be approved.
However, these processing times may vary based on the filing period you submit your certificate of formation and operating agreements.
For all hardcopy filings made between October and February, you should anticipate delays of up to 21 business days or 3+ weeks.
If you register your Alaska LLC between March and September, the standard processing time for this period is 10-15 working days (2-3 weeks).
After filing the registration documents for one of my clients, I learned that the Secretary of State will mail your approved and certified documentation to your own registered agent service during regular business hours.
2. Alaska LLC Processing Time Online (immediate approval)
However, you must gather and review all your details before starting the process because any delays during the registration can result in system timeouts.
Factors Influencing The Formation Timeline Of Alaska LLCs
The standard time of processing an LLC in Alaska may be prolonged by several factors which include the following:
- Time of the year: Expect a longer processing time of at least a month when filing in paper from October to February. In my experience, it’s better to submit online since the approval is immediate.
- Requirement issues: To ensure that your application is processed within the standard period, make sure that all the documents are complete and in order.
- Weekends and holidays: The state of Alaska doesn’t conduct business during weekends and holidays. It’s advisable to file after this period to avoid delays with the approval time.
Where Can I Check the Status of My Alaska LLC Formation During the Processing Period?
You cannot check the status of your Alaska LLC formation during the processing period. You simply have to wait for the application to be approved.
Is There a Difference in Processing Time for Domestic and Foreign LLCs in Alaska?
There is no difference in processing time for domestic and foreign LLCs in Alaska. You can expect a standard processing time of 10-15 business days for both entities.
How Long Does It Take To Get an Alaska Business License?
It takes 10-15 business days to get an Alaska business license. Business licenses in Alaska are a must-have for all enterprises to conduct business there legally.