How To Change an LLC Name in West Virginia? (Simple Guide)
As a West Virginia LLC owner, you must understand how to complete the name change process with the Secretary of State.
You may want to change your LLC name for multiple reasons, and I have teamed up with a group of LLC specialists to help you understand the process in detail.
As a legal expert who has assisted numerous businesses in making amendments to their business information over the years, I am here to unveil the most effective approach for accomplishing this task.
- To change an LLC name in West Virginia, you must file an amendment certificate with the Secretary of State in West Virginia.
- It costs $25 to file an Amendment certificate with the Secretary of State.
- Remember to update your company records with the relevant authorities in West Virginia to reflect the new LLC name.
3 Steps To Change an LLC Name in West Virginia
Follow these steps to change an LLC name in West Virginia:
1. Choose a New West Virginia LLC Name
Choose a new West Virginia LLC name that is approved by the LLC's owner or the LLC's members.
To understand the appropriate course of action, you can always consult the operating agreement of the limited liability company.
Ensure that the tag "LLC" is placed at the end of the name and that it does not resemble any other existing business names.
West Virginia requires that you check if a name is available by conducting an online search using the business organization search system and ensuring the name does not violate the name restrictions for your particular business organization type.
Remember that the business organization search system only checks for names registered with the West Virginia Secretary of State. It does not include name checks through the West Virginia State Tax Department.
Read our article and learn more about looking up an LLC in West Virginia.
2. File a Name Reservation Form
You can file a name reservation form by paying a filing fee of $15 for 120 days. This form is available online via the official website of the Secretary of State in West Virginia .
In the form, you must provide specific information, such as the type of company (specify that it is an LLC), the person or company reserving the name, and the signature information.
Once you have filled out the required information, you submit the completed application and the filing fee to one of the business centers specified in the form.
3. File a West Virginia Amendment Certificate
You can file a West Virginia amendment certificate by paying a filing fee of $25. The fastest way to file your West Virginia LLC amendment certificate is by doing it online via the West Virginia One Stop Business Portal .
Once you have access to the One Stop Business Portal, you will be required to log in or create an account if you do not have one, after which you can make the amendments.
You may also file the amendment to your West Virginia LLC Articles of Organization by completing the correct form for your entity type on the amendments and corrections page.
In the form, you will be required to provide relevant information, such as the West Virginia business name, change of name information, contact name and number, and signature.
Once complete, you submit it to one of the business centers provided on the form, along with your filing fee.
- How to Set Up an LLC in West Virginia
- Top LLC Formation Services in West Virginia
- Premium Registered Agent Services in West Virginia
What to Do After You Change Your West Virginia LLC Name
After you change your LLC name, you will have to do the following:
- Change Your LLC Operating Agreement: You will need to change your LLC operating agreement to include the new name.
- Get in Touch With Your Bank: Contact your bank to check if you need a new bank account.
- Check Your Business License and Permits: Contact the authorities in West Virginia to see what business licenses and permits need to be updated
- Find Out If You Need to Get a New EIN: You can check out the IRS guide to see if you need to get a new EIN .
- Notify the IRS in West Virginia: Inform the IRS in West Virginia about your LLC's name change. Submit a copy of the certificate of amendment and a name-change letter to update your records with them.
- Update all Relevant Documents: After implementing the new name, ensure you make corresponding changes on all relevant documents and your website.
What Happens If I Do Not File a Name Reservation Form For My New LLC Name?
If you do not file a name reservation form for your new LLC name, it might end up being used by another individual who is interested in that name, and once they reserve the name with the West Virginia Secretary of State, you can no longer use it.
Do I Have To Get A New EIN If I Have A New West Virginia LLC Name?
No, you do not have to get a new EIN if you have a new West Virginia LLC name. However, it would help if you verified from the IRS guide you do not need to provide any information.
Do You Need Help Changing Your West Virginia LLC Name?
If you are a business owner and you do not want to handle the legal paperwork by yourself, then you can always rely on professional services to get the job done for you.
IncFile provides budget-friendly professional filing services, taking care of your Articles of Amendment hassle-free.
They'll handle all the paperwork, ensuring your documents and records reflect the new name, allowing you to concentrate on other crucial aspects of your business.