How to Change an LLC Name in Wyoming? (Step by Step Guide)
Changing the name of your LLC in Wyoming involves several important steps. To make this process easy for you, we have decided to share our first-hand experience in this guide.
As legal experts with years of experience in everything related to LLCs, we have teamed up with other legal experts to assist businesses in making changes to their business information.
- To change the name of an LLC in Wyoming, you must file an Amendment certificate with the Secretary of State.
- The Secretary of State in Wyoming only accepts amendment certificate filings via their physical address, not email.
- Changing the LLC name in Wyoming will cost you $60, and you can make this payment via check or cash.
- The Wyoming Secretary of State is very particular about the characters and words used when changing an LLC name, so make sure yours is easily distinguishable and original.
3 Steps To Change An LLC Name in Wyoming
Follow these steps to change your business name in Wyoming:
1. Choose a New Wyoming LLC Name
Choose a new Wyoming LLC name that the LLC's owner and members will approve.
You can always refer to the limited liability company's operating agreement to know how to proceed.
As with all states, there are requirements to be complied with as well as restrictions to be avoided when choosing a business name in Wyoming.
I can testify firsthand that becoming familiar with requirements upfront saves time in the long run.
The LLC tag must always be at the end of the name.
Wyoming has a business entity search database where you can enter a filing name or a valid filing ID to see if the name you have taken for an LLC is available.
Filing ID refers to the identification number the Secretary of State's Office assigned to the business entity.
LLC Name Reservation in Wyoming
You will be required to file a name reservation form by paying a filing fee of $60, payable by check or money order to the Wyoming secretary of state for 120 days .
The name reservation form will be processed within 15 business days following the date of receipt in the office of the Secretary of State.
In the form, you will be required to provide relevant details such as the proposed Wyoming business name to be reserved, the name of the applicant, the applicant's address, and the applicant's signature.
Once you are done, you will send it to the mailing address of the Secretary of State with the filing fee.
When I opened several LLCs in Wyoming, the name reservation always took about 15 days. While it might seem long, in reality, it went by quickly as I handled other tasks.
See our article to get more information on how to look up for an LLC in Wyoming.
2. Get Member Approval for Name Change
To change your LLC name in Wyoming, you will need approval from other members.
Without official approval, which is mandatory from your LLC members, you won't be able to change its name. In short, you will have to follow a procedure that includes passing a member resolution.
This procedure includes the following steps:
- Gathering members together
- Creating an official document for the LLC name change
- Conducting the voting process
- Adopting the resolution upon receiving a majority consensus
Make sure to have a written member resolution and store it among your records. In my experience, I found it crucial to keep this documentation handy.
3. File Articles of Amendment
You must file a Wyoming Amendment certificate by paying a filing fee of $60 by check or money order to the Wyoming Secretary of State .
The Wyoming Amendment certificate will be processed within 15 business days following the date of receipt in the office of the Secretary of State.
While filing Wyoming LLC amendments to the LLC Articles of Organization you'll need to include an original certificate of good standing.
This certificate should be dated within the last 60 days before filing in Wyoming. lude an original Certificate of Good Standing dated at most 60 days before filing in Wyoming.
I had to include a certified copy of the amendment when I changed my LLC's name. This document had to show both the old LLC name and the new one, along with the date of the change.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in Wyoming
- How to Create an LLC in Wyoming
- Premium LLC Formation Services in Wyoming
What to Do After You Change Your Wyoming LLC Name?
After you change your LLC name in Wyoming, you will have to do the following:
- Amend your LLC Operating Agreement: This way, you will incorporate the new name of your business entity.
- Inform the IRS about your LLC name change: The method you choose will depend on how your LLC is classified. Each type of LLC will have its own specific form or procedure for this purpose .
- Check your business license and permits: You must contact the relevant authorities in Wyoming to see if you need to update your business license and permits or get new ones entirely with the new LLC name.
- Reach out to bank representatives: Contact and inform your bank to verify if you are required to set up a new LLC business account.
- Make changes on every other relevant document: Once your new name is in use, change every other relevant document you have and your website.
- Inform the public of your LLC name change: Also, plan a customer-level campaign to inform the media and the public about your new name.
Alternatives to LLC Name Change
As a seasoned business professional with extensive experience in LLC formation, I've found that when changing a Wyoming LLC name, considering options like DBA and Certificate of Correction offers practical advantages.
However, it's essential to ensure that you comply with all state and local regulations regarding DBA registration.
Certificate of Correction
A Certificate of Correction, as mentioned earlier, is primarily used to rectify errors in official documents rather than changing the LLC's name.
While it can be relevant in other contexts, it's not typically used as part of the process for changing an LLC's name.
In both cases, I strongly recommend consulting with legal and regulatory authorities in your jurisdiction to ensure that you're following the right procedures and complying with the laws and rules.
Do I Have To Get A New EIN If I Have A New Wyoming LLC Name?
You do not need to obtain a new EIN (Employer Identification Number) if you change the name of your Wyoming LLC. However, it is advisable to confirm with the IRS guide that no additional information is required.
Do I Need an Amendment Form for an LLC In Wyoming?
An Amendment Form is required for LLCs in Wyoming when making changes to crucial aspects like the company name or registered agent, ensuring compliance with state regulations.
How Much Does It Cost to Change the LLC Name in Wyoming?
To change the LLC name in Wyoming you will have to pay $60.