When starting a business entity in Idaho, it's important to make sure all your legal bases are covered. One of the first stages in forming your LLC is to look for and confirm the availability of your selected LLC name.
With over a decade of practice as a business consultant for LLCs and thorough research on the steps to look up a business entity in various states, I’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide backed with all the legal information you need.
- To look up an LLC in Idaho, go to the Idaho Secretary of State website and use the business entity search bar.
- You can search by entity name, registered agent, file number or filing date.
- The available information includes the LLC’s filing type, status, term of duration, principal address, filing date and registered agent.
How Do I Look Up an LLC in Idaho?
To look up an LLC in Idaho, the most effective way is to search the business by name.
The most effective way to look up an LLC is by visiting the Secretary of State's official website. The steps include the following:
Step 1: Check the Idaho Entity Name Database
On the Secretary of State's website, there is an updated database of business entity names, where you can check the availability of your desired business name for free.
Step 2: Do a Search for your Business Name
Enter the LLC name you want to use and remove identifiers such as "LLC," then click Search. Capitalization doesn't matter. This will display all entities that have the same or similar names.
If your business name consists of many words, you may limit your search to the first two words to guarantee that you find all potential comparable names.
Step 3: Review Results
Review the list of business entities in Idaho.
Use this guide to look up for an LLC and determine whether your preferred LLC name is available or not:
- If the business entity search returns no results, your selected entity name is free to use.
- If the results indicate no similarity, your selected LLC name is distinct from others and is eligible for use.
- If the business entity search returns exactly as it is, then it means that your desired LLC name is already taken. Therefore, you must come up with a new LLC name or a unique variation of your preferred business entity name.
- If the list indicates deceptively similar name results, then your desired LLC name can't be used.
However, even if the name of the business you desire is available, the Secretary of State will make a final assessment at the time of filing to verify that the name you choose isn't too similar to other registered business entities.
You can change your LLC name in Idaho at any time if you need to.
Idaho Search Options
Idaho search options include a business entity search by "Name" or by "Filing Number."
The Idaho Secretary of State's website has a database of all registered LLCs in the state.
There are several ways you may use to conduct a thorough company name search, including:
- Search by Business Name
- Search by Registered Agent
- Search by File Number
- Search by Filing Date
Another search option to consider is "Trademark Search." You must be cautious that your Idaho business name does not violate the trademark of another company.
Even though the desired Idaho business name is confirmed to be available on the state website, it may be protected by a registered trademark.
Therefore, it is recommended to do a trademark search using the Trademark Electronic Search System before deciding on a business name to avoid any legal issues in the future.
Information for Idaho LLC Look Up
Aside from the availability of the name, the database on the state's website also provides the following business information for an Idaho LLC:
- Filing Type: Identifies whether the business entity type is Corporation, Limited Liability Company, etc.
- Status: A business with an "active-existing" status indicates that the name has been taken. An inactive entity may not be conducting business presently but is still registered. A dissolved entity is no longer registered with the state, and the name is made available after four months .
- Term of Duration: Determines how long the company entity will be in operation. Idaho businesses tend to operate indefinitely.
- Principal Address: It's not specified, but the principal address may either be the actual mailing address of the business or a location where business documents are kept.
- Registered Agent's Information: If a legal or tax notification has to be delivered to the business, the Registered Agent is the person to contact. Many LLC owners would instead hire a registered agent service in the state of Idaho.
- Initial Filing Date: Refers to the date the business entity was filed with the Secretary of State.
What are the Rules for Naming an Idaho LLC?
The general rules for naming an Idaho LLC are the following:
- Your LLC name must be unique.
- Your LLC name must be distinguishable from other business names. It is not possible to identify your name from others by adding suffixes, definite articles, conjunction, abbreviation, punctuation, or using singular or plural formation of words.
- All LLCs must have the terms "Limited Liability Company," "LLC" or "L.L.C." in their names, usually at the end.
- Your LLC name must not be similar to that of a government agency such as the Federal, CIA or Treasury.
Can I Make an LLC Name Reservation with the Secretary of State?
You can make an LLC name reservation with the Secretary of State by filing a $20 fee. It allows you to reserve a name for up to 4 months.
Does Idaho Require a Business License?
Idaho does not require a business license but the entity must be registered with the state before operating.
Idaho LLC Lookup
Before registering your LLC, ensure you conduct a name search on the Secretary of State's website. Use options like name, registered agent, filing number, or filing date for the search.
Looking up an LLC name in Idaho is one of the most critical steps when forming an LLC in Idaho – it confirms the availability of your desired business name and streamlines the process of your LLC formation.
Once you've confirmed the availability of your desired Idaho business name, you are ready to select your LLC's Registered Agent and file your Articles of Organization.