How To Change A Registered Agent in New Jersey? (Guide)
As a business owner in New Jersey, you may wish to change your initial registered agent at some point.
In that case, you need to understand the process and steps you need to take.
Our team of LLC experts has years of experience and expertise in handling the paperwork needed to change your registered agent.
In this article, we have gathered all the information and steps you need to take to change your registered agent in New Jersey.
- To change your registered agent in New Jersey, file a Change of Registered Agent/Office form with the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services and pay the $25 state filing fee.
- You can file a Change of Registered Agent/Office form online, by mail, fax, or through a professional registered agent service.
- The state processing time for a change of registered agent in New Jersey is usually around 3-10 business days.
- Regularly updating your registered agent details is essential for smooth business operations and compliance with state laws.
How To Change Your New Jersey Registered Agent?
To change your New Jersey registered agent, you must submit either the "Certificate of Change - Registered Name or Address, or Both for LLCs" or the "Certificate of Change of Registered Office and Registered Agent for Corporations" document to the New Jersey Division of Revenue, Corporate Filing.
If you decide to change your New Jersey registered agent, you will need to take the following steps:
- Choose a new registered agent
- Notify your current registered agent
- File a change of agent form
- Update your company's records
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using a Professional Service
If you want to change your registered agent in New Jersey with the help of a professional service, these are the steps you need to follow:
- Choose a reliable, professional New Jersey registered agent service
- Notify your current LLC registered agent
- Provide your new LLC registered agent with the necessary information about your business
- Complete necessary paperwork, such as a Certificate of Change of a Registered Agent
- Update your company's records and inform relevant parties about the change
Using professional services will make changing a registered agent easier and more efficient, as they can handle the necessary paperwork and filing on your behalf.
Before hiring New Jersey registered agent services, ensure they are authorized to do business in New Jersey and meet the state's requirements for registered agents.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You must submit a Registered Agent Change Form to the New Jersey Department of Treasury to change your agent.
You can do this task online by visiting the website of the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services of the New Jersey Department of Treasury .
These are the steps for the process:
- Give your company's number from New Jersey, its business type, and the date it was made.
- Check the reports that are due.
- Fill out the form completely.
- Add your payment information
- Submit the Registered Agent Change Form
3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail, In-Person, or Fax
You can obtain the New Jersey Change of Registered Agent forms from your online account on the New Jersey Division of Revenue website.
To file with the New Jersey Division of Revenue, you must fill out the appropriate form for your entity type.
All documents must be typed and original if mailed or delivered in person.
If you're changing your agent, submit two copies of the form unless you're changing registered agent for a nonprofit corporation.
In this case, you'll need to submit three copies.
While you can create your own documents, it's recommended that you use the Division of Revenue's forms to lower the chance of rejection.
These are some of the tips you should follow to ensure your request gets approved:
If you choose to submit the paper form by mail or in person, please include a cover letter with a money order for payment:
- The name of the firm or individual submitting the form
- Method of payment:
- Credit card number
- Division of Revenue depository account number
- Description of the filing (change of registered agent)
If filing in person:
- Choose expedited or same-day processing
- The entity's name
- The entity's business ID
- Return instructions
Please write the check out to the Treasurer of the State of New Jersey.
Note that the Division of Revenue cannot accept cash payments.
If you prefer to fax your submission, locate the appropriate Change of Agent Form for your business entity from your online account on the New Jersey Division of Revenue website.
All filings submitted to the New Jersey Division of Revenue must be typed. Once you have filled out the form, attach a fax coversheet and send it to the division via fax.
To use the fax filing service, please ensure your fax coversheet is titled "DIVISION OF REVENUE FACSIMILE FILING SERVICE REQUEST.
4. Changing Your Registered Agent by Annual Report
To simplify changing your registered agent for business in New Jersey, take advantage of the filing deadline for the LLC annual report.
There is no need for you to provide extra documentation for this modification .
Nevertheless, please make sure to complete it before the filing period ends.
Please include the information about your new agent in the report.
By filing the report, the changes will be made effective.
- How to Set Up an LLC in New Jersey
- Best LLC Formation Services in New Jersey
- How Long Does It Take To Form an LLC in New Jersey
People are very open-minded about new things, as long as they're exactly like the old ones - Charles F. Kettering, Founder of Delco.
Who Can Be A New Jersey Registered Agent?
New Jersey registered agent can be a person or a business entity authorized to accept legal documents and official government correspondence on behalf of a corporation, LLC, or other business entity.
To become a registered agent in New Jersey, the individual or business entity must meet the following requirements:
- The registered agent must have a New Jersey street address in New Jersey.
- The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept legal documents and other business filings.
- The registered agent must be authorized to do business in New Jersey.
- If the registered agent is an individual, they must be a resident of New Jersey.
- If the registered agent is a business entity, it must be registered with the New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services.
Is Written Consent Required From The New Registered Agent In New Jersey?
No, written consent is not required, but the company must notify the agent of their appointment. It's important to ensure they agree to take on the responsibility to avoid any issues with document handling or legal compliance
Can I Be My Own New Jersey Registered Agent?
Yes, you can be your New Jersey LLC's Registered Agent if you have a street address in the state and meet the requirements.
Does Changing My Registered Agent In New Jersey Require Notarization?
No, changing your registered agent in New Jersey does not require the change of agent form to be notarized. The process is streamlined to facilitate easy updates to your business registration details without the need for notarization.
Do You Want to Change Your New Jersey Registered Agent?
If you want to change your registered agent in New Jersey, it may not seem very easy at first.
However, there are guidelines provided by the state, and selecting a registered agent that meets these requirements can help you stay compliant and avoid legal or administrative problems.
To make things easier, consider reviewing the Best Registered Agent Services in New Jersey that we prepared for you and choosing the one that suits your needs the most.
Their experts can guide you through the process and provide the support you need to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Don't hesitate to take this critical step to protect your LLC and ensure compliance with state regulations.