LawDepot vs Rocket Lawyer (Comparison & Test 2024)
When it comes to the complex world of online legal services, having a reliable and trustworthy provider is crucial.
LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer are two prominent names in the industry, offering various services to assist individuals and businesses with their legal needs.
To determine which company is the best fit for your requirements, it's essential to consider their expertise, trustworthiness, and credibility.
As a business consultant with over a decade of practice, I had the opportunity to work alongside different online legal services for business formation and consultation purposes.
Leveraging my expertise, I conducted a comprehensive evaluation of LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer.
At a Glance: LawDepot vs. Rocket Lawyer
LawDepot was established in 2001 with the initial purpose of creating a platform that can generate legal documents. The company has over 10 million users since, with more than 20 million documents created.
Rocket Lawyer was founded in 2008 with the intention of providing access to affordable legal services. To date, the company has nearly 30 million accounts.
1. LawDepot LLC Highlights:
- Extensive document library
- Document customization
- Flexibility and editing options
- Affordable pricing
- Document management and storage
2. Rocket Lawyer LLC Highlights:
- Legal document creation
- Attorney services and legal advice
- Legal assistance and support
- Collaboration and e-signatures
- Document storage and organization
3. How LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer Stack Together
LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer both provide online legal services with a focus on document preparation and legal assistance.
While you have the option to pick a package suitable to your personal or business needs, LawDepot offers more choices.
When I helped a client form an LLC, I learned that LawDepot has a more affordable registered agent service. Rocket Lawyer on the other hand offered more additional services than its counterpart.
Side-by-Side LLC Plan Comparisons
LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer are online legal service platforms that do not feature standard LLC formation packages. However, I learned that both companies offer various pricing plans for its professional services.
1. Basic Plan: LawDepot Free Trial vs Rocket Lawyer Non-Subscriber Cost
- LawDepot's One-Week Free Trial: Users can access templates to generate legal documents for one week. Once the free trial is over, you have the option to subscribe to their monthly or annual plans.
- Rocket Lawyer's Non-Subscriber ($99.99 + state fees): For non-subscribers, Rocket Lawyer offers a basic LLC formation service priced at $99.99. This package does not include any additional upsell products or access to other online legal services. State filing fees are separate and not included in the $99.99 cost.
2. Mid-Level Plan: LawDepot Monthly Subscription vs Rocket Lawyer RocketLegal
- LawDepot's Monthly Subscription: LawDepot's monthly subscription costs $35 per month. This plan includes unlimited document creation and printing, and it can be canceled at any time.
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal Monthly Plan ($39.99 + state filing fees): Users can enjoy a free one-week trial, which automatically converts to a monthly membership if not cancelled. The plan includes legal services, customizable legal templates, RocketSign, and Document Defense.
3. Top-Level Plan Comparison: LawDepot Annual Subscription vs RocketLegal+
- LawDepot's Annual Subscription ($107.88) This plan includes unlimited document creation and printing. LawDepot also offers a pay-per-document option, which starts at $7.50 to $119, depending on the document type.
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal+ ($239.88 + state filing fees): The package includes all the features of the RocketLegal plan complemented by a 50% discount on all available professional services, such as hiring a lawyer, RocketTax, trademark registration, and registered agent service.
Registered Agent Service
LawDepot features a registered agent provider to act as a representative but may outsorce or delegate the service to Northwest Registered Agent for $125 a year.
In my experience, the application can be done online and the price varies depending on which state your business is located.
Most additional services for both online legal service platforms come free of charge since it is included in the monthly package.
1. Business Formation Documents
LawDepot and RocketLawyer offer customizable legal documents for business formation, including articles of incorporation, partnership agreements, and operating agreement for LLCs.
LawDepot also provides a selection of free legal documents, offering a cost-effective option for small business owners.
2. Document Preparation
LawDepot allows users to customize and personalize the business formation documents by answering a series of questions tailored to their specific situation.
Rocket Lawyer handles the preparation of necessary legal documents required for business formation.
This includes drafting articles of incorporation, articles of organization, partnership agreements, and operating agreements.
3. Document Editing and Modification
LawDepot allows users to make edits and modifications to the generated documents as needed, providing flexibility in tailoring the content to suit individual preferences and legal requirements.
4. Entity Selection
Rocket Lawyer helps users determine the most suitable legal entity for their business, such as a corporation, LLC, or partnership, based on their specific needs and goals.
5. Filing Assistance
Rocket Lawyer guides users through the process of filing the required documents with the appropriate government authorities, such as the Secretary of State or similar agencies.
They also offer assistance in obtaining any necessary licenses or permits, simplifying the overall filing process for small business owners.
6. Compliance Support
Rocket Lawyer provides guidance on compliance matters, including ongoing requirements, annual reports, and maintaining corporate records, to help small businesses meet their legal obligations.
Their online legal services offer support in staying compliant with applicable laws and regulations.
LawDepot offers customer support via live chat, email support, and mail service. Aside from these, I also had the chance to talk to a lawyer and ask for legal guidance.
Rocket Lawyer provides customer assistance via email and call, to guide users through every step of the business formation journey.
Which is More Affordable, LawDepot or Rocket Lawyer?
LawDepot is slightly more affordable than Rocket Lawyer with regards to their monthly rates.
Which has a Higher Ranking for Online Legal Services, LawDepot or Rocket Lawyer?
Rocket Lawyer has a higher ranking for online legal services at number 1 while LawDepot is in the top 7.
LawDepot Vs Rocket Lawyer: Our Recommendation
Both LawDepot and Rocket Lawyer offer valuable online legal services for businesses.
LawDepot focuses on customizable legal document creation, while Rocket Lawyer provides a more comprehensive range of services, including attorney support and business formation assistance.
After personally considering the general features and services of both companies, I recommend Rocket Lawyer primarily due to the volume of users or subscribers.
However, if you're looking for an alternative that offers an all-encompassing approach to business formation and ongoing compliance, ZenBusiness is worth considering.