How to Look Up an LLC in New Mexico? (Simple Guide)
To look up an LLC in New Mexico, whether to find an available name for your intended business or simply to locate an existing entity, you have several options to search.
As a business consultant specializing in limited liability companies across various states, I will provide a comprehensive guide on how to look up an LLC in New Mexico.
Backed with extensive research and legal advice from our team of lawyers, the article will address all of your concerns.
- To look up an LLC, the New Mexico Secretary of State website is the primary option for a business entity search.
- You can search a business entity through name, ID number, or registered agent.
- According to the New Mexico Business Portal, over 90% of new businesses in New Mexico register and obtain Tax ID numbers online for efficiency.
- I've learned from my experience that New Mexico business search not only provides basic information such as the name and entity ID number but also formation date, type, status, and expiration date.
How Do I Look Up an LLC in New Mexico?
You can look up an LLC in New Mexico by visiting the New Mexico Secretary of State website. It is the primary resource for business owners and entrepreneurs looking to start or expand their businesses in the state.
You can also directly call the Secretary of State's office or email them the correct inquiries about the LLC you seek.
1. Use the Secretary of State's Website
The New Mexico Secretary of State website is the primary resource for conducting LLC searches.
It offers various search methods to cater to different information needs, as highlighted below:
a. Name Search
If the nature of your search is to find an available name for a business entity, here are the steps:
- Visit the New Mexico Business Entity Search page.
- Enter your desired LLC name and click the search bar.
- If the name is available, you can reserve or register the name right away.
If you are looking for a specific company type, service, or product, conduct a similar New Mexico business search by following these steps:
- Visit the New Mexico Business Entity Search page.
- Enter the LLC name in the search bar.
- Review the list of businesses that match your search criteria. This will include details like the entity ID number, formation date, type, status, and expiration date.
b. Entity Number
Use this method when you have the specific Entity ID number of the LLC . It's a direct way to find detailed information about a particular business.
According to the New Mexico Business Portal, registering your legal business structure and obtaining Tax ID numbers are essential first steps, with over 90% of new businesses in New Mexico completing this process online for efficiency and compliance.
To do this:
- Access the same Business Entity Search tool.
- Select the option to search by ID number.
- Enter the business ID number to find specific LLC details.
c. Registration/Reservation Number
This method is useful when you have the Registration or Reservation Number of the LLC.
It tracks the status of a business name reservation or registration.
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Go to the New Mexico Business Entity Search tool.
- Choose to search by Registration/Reservation No.
- Enter the relevant number to find specific LLC information.
2. Call the State
For direct assistance or questions about LLCs in New Mexico, call the New Mexico Secretary of State's Business Services Division at 505-827-3600.
This method is particularly useful for complex inquiries or when immediate assistance is required.
3. Send an Email
For detailed inquiries, document requests, or if you prefer written communication, sending an email to the Secretary of State's office at Business.Services@state.nm.us can be a practical approach.
While there isn't a specific email for LLC inquiries, you can start by contacting the webmaster.
4. Other Business Entity Search Alternatives
In addition to the official methods provided by the New Mexico Secretary of State, several alternative ways exist to gather information about LLCs.
a. Social Media
Platforms like LinkedIn can provide information about LLCs and their key personnel.
b. Search Engines
A simple Google search can sometimes yield useful information about an LLC.
c. Business Directories
Websites like Dun & Bradstreet offer detailed business information.
d. Local Business Networking Groups
These can provide insights into local LLCs.
e. Industry-Specific Databases
Depending on the LLC's industry, specialized databases with relevant information may exist.
"You have the option to file your LLC name with or without a comma; the Secretary of State accepts both formats."
- Jon Morgan, CEO, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Venture Smarter
How to Check If A Business Name Is Trademarked in New Mexico?
You can check if a business name is trademarked in New Mexico through the federal or state trademark check process.
Checking if a business name is trademarked in New Mexico is essential in ensuring that your chosen name does not infringe on existing trademarks.
Here are the primary methods to conduct this check:
1. United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Website
The USPTO's Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) is the most comprehensive tool for trademark search . According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, in 2023, TESS facilitated over 3 million searches, demonstrating its critical role in trademark research and protection for businesses nationwide.
It allows you to search an extensive database of registered trademarks and pending applications, providing insights into any potential conflicts with your desired business name.
To check if a business name is trademarked in New Mexico:
- Visit the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website.
- Use the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) to search for existing trademarks.
2. State Trademark Check: New Mexico Secretary of State
You can also check if a name is trademarked by visiting the New Mexico Secretary of State's website and searching for registered business names.
While this search won't show federal trademarks, it will indicate if any state-level businesses use a similar name.
3. Consult a Trademark Attorney
For a thorough search and legal advice, consider consulting a trademark attorney.
An attorney can help navigate both federal and state trademark databases and provide legal counsel on the viability of your chosen business name.
4. Online Trademark Search Services
There are various online services that offer trademark searches, often for a fee. These services can provide a quick and user-friendly way to search for existing trademarks.
However, it's important to ensure that these services are reputable and thorough in their search.
Reasons to Perform a Search
Searching for an LLC in New Mexico is crucial for various business-related activities and decisions.
It provides valuable insights and essential information that can influence your business strategies and interactions.
Here are some key reasons why performing an LLC search is important:
- Ensuring that the desired business name is available before establishing or rebranding.
- Ensure the LLC is legally registered.
- Know if the LLC is active, inactive, or dissolved.
- Do due diligence before investing in or doing business with the LLC.
- Necessary for litigation or other legal actions.
- Understand competitors' business structures.
- Checking a business before completing a deal.
- Gain insights into market trends and business environments.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in New Mexico
- Premium LLC Formation Services in New Mexico
- How Much Does an LLC Cost in New Mexico
How Can I Reserve a Business Name in New Mexico?
To reserve a business name in New Mexico, search for name availability on the New Mexico Business Entity Search tool. If available, submit a name reservation form with the required fee to the New Mexico Secretary of State.
What Should I Do if the LLC Name I Want Is Already Taken?
If your desired LLC name is taken in New Mexico, consider modifying it slightly to ensure uniqueness or register a different legal name and use your preferred name as a "Doing Business As" (DBA).