How to Look Up an LLC in Louisiana? (In a Few Easy Steps)
Suppose you intend to establish a business in Louisiana and need to verify the availability of your preferred LLC name or seek out a specific company. In that case, you can conduct an LLC name search.
After conducting extensive research and consulting with seasoned LLC specialists and legal advisors in Louisiana, I'll provide my insights regarding the most efficient method to search for the names of limited liability companies in the state.
- To look up an LLC in Louisiana, visit the Secretary of State's website and utilize the search tool for available names, including options by business name, charter number, or registered agent.
- You can also search using an LLC by calling or emailing the Secretary of State's website.
- According to the 2023 annual report by the Louisiana Secretary of State, the business search tool processed over 50,000 searches, highlighting its effectiveness for state-level business and trademark searches.
- My experience has shown that conducting an LLC lookup is crucial for verifying the availability of a desired business name, thereby avoiding potential legal issues.
How Do I Look Up an LLC in Louisiana?
To look up an LLC in Louisiana, you can use the search tool available on the state's website. All businesses registered in the state are contained in the platform.
The state provides several methods to facilitate your search, ensuring you can find the necessary information about any LLC registered within its jurisdiction.
These methods include:
1. Using the Secretary of State's Website
The Secretary of State's website is the primary resource for conducting an LLC search in Louisiana.
Here's how you can utilize this tool effectively:
- Visit the Louisiana Secretary of State's website and navigate to the "Business Services" tab.
- Select "Search Business Filings" from the available options.
- Choose the criteria to search the LLC on the Business Entity Search page. You can either choose to search by "Entity Name", "Charter Number, or " Agent Name."
- Click the search button or press enter to initiate the search.
- If you chose search by "Entity Name" review the search results. If your desired business name appears as a result, it means it is available for use.
- If the desired LLC name is unavailable, you must choose an alternative name for your business.
By performing this simple business name search, you can determine the availability of your preferred LLC name and proceed with the next steps of starting your business in Louisiana.
You can perform an LLC search on the Secretary of State's website by:
a. Search by Business Names
This is the most common method to find LLCs in Louisiana. Enter the name of the business you want in the search bar on Louisiana's business entity search website.
Once you locate the desired LLC, click the "Details" button to access more information about the company.
b. Search by Charter Number/Trade Registration Number/Reservation Number
If you can access the business's charter, trade registration, or reservation numbers, you can utilize the search function on the Secretary of State's commercial search webpage.
Enter the relevant reservation number and navigate to find the specific LLC you want.
c. Search by Registered Agent
Another way to look up an LLC in Louisiana is by searching for a Louisiana registered agent. A registered agent is an individual or business that agrees to receive legal documents on behalf of the LLC.
On the Secretary of State's website, click the "Registered Agent" tab on the commercial search webpage.
From there, you can search for the desired registered agent and access further details by clicking the "Details" button.
Utilizing these different search options allows you to find and gather the necessary information about an LLC in Louisiana.
2. Call the State
Direct communication with the Louisiana Secretary of State's office can be a quick way to get answers to your questions or guidance on conducting an LLC search.
To inquire about LLC searches or any related matter, call the Louisiana Secretary of State's office at +1 (225) 925-4704.
This method is particularly useful if you're looking for real-time assistance or have specific questions that are not easily answered through online resources.
3. Send an Email
Emailing the Secretary of State's office is an effective way to get detailed information about an LLC, especially if you need documentation or have queries that require thorough responses.
For detailed inquiries, send your questions to the Business Services division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensure to provide as much detail as possible about your query to facilitate a comprehensive response.
This method suits non-urgent inquiries, allowing the office staff to compile the necessary information and respond accordingly.
4. Other Business Entity Search Alternatives
Shash's article from 2Stallions points out that tools like social media platforms and search engines are crucial gateways for finding information online efficiently . According to the article, businesses leveraging these tools have seen a significant increase in engagement, with social media driving up to 30% of traffic to websites, showcasing the power of these platforms in enhancing digital visibility.
In addition to the official state resources, here are five alternative methods to search for an LLC in Louisiana:
- Social Media Platforms: Many businesses have profiles that can provide insights into the company's operations and legitimacy.
- Search Engines: A simple Google search can reveal much about an LLC, including news articles, reviews, and official websites.
- Business Directories: Websites like Yelp, Better Business Bureau, and industry-specific directories can offer information and reviews on LLCs.
- Legal Databases: Platforms like LexisNexis or Westlaw can provide legal information on LLCs, including litigation history.
- Networking Sites: LinkedIn and other professional networking sites can offer information on the company's executives and business activities.
"In Louisiana, once the 120-day name reservation period expires, you cannot reserve the same name again, so ensure your business can launch within that timeframe before reserving."
- Delina Yasmeh, J.D./Tax LL.M, Distinguished Expert in Mergers & Acquisitions
How to Check If A Business Name Is Trademarked in Louisiana?
To check if a business name is trademarked in Louisiana, search the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website. This search will reveal if the name is federally trademarked.
Also, checking with the Louisiana Secretary of State can help identify state-level trademarks.
Here's how to proceed:
1. Use the Federal Trademark Search (US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Website)
The first step is to visit the USPTO's official website and use the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS).
This database includes all registered trademarks and pending applications at the federal level.
Searching here will help you identify if your desired business name or a similar one is already trademarked, potentially leading to legal issues or rejection of your trademark application.
2. State-Level Trademark Search
For state-level trademarks, you should check with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
Louisiana provides resources for searching business entities and registered trademarks within the state.
Visit the Louisiana Secretary of State's business search page. This search primarily identifies business entities rather than trademarks.
According to the Louisiana Secretary of State's annual report, in 2023, the business search tool facilitated over 50,000 searches, underscoring its utility in navigating state-level business registrations and trademark inquiries.
But it's crucial to ensure that another business does not already use your desired name in a similar capacity, which could also lead to trademark conflicts.
3. Consultation with a Trademark Attorney
Given the complexities of trademark law and the potential for overlap between state and federal registrations, consulting with a trademark attorney can provide valuable insights and guidance.
An attorney can help you navigate the search process, interpret results, and advise on the likelihood of trademark registration success.
Reasons to Perform a Search
The main purpose of looking up an LLC in Louisiana is to determine if the business name you want to use is available for your company.
You can also lookup an LLC to:
- Verify the legal status of an LLC.
- Gather information about the LLC's registered agent.
- Understand the business's history and compliance status.
- Check for any potential legal issues or litigation.
- Conduct due diligence before making business decisions.
- Assess the competition within a specific industry.
- Check a business before completing a deal to ensure transparency and trust.
- How to Close an LLC in Louisiana
- How Long Does It Take To Create an LLC in Louisiana
- Best Louisiana LLC Formation Services
- How Much Does an LLC Cost in Louisiana
Can an LLC Name Be Reserved in Louisiana?
An LLC name can be reserved in Louisiana by filing the Application for Name Reservation with the Secretary of State. The name won’t be available for other business entities or individuals for 60 days.
What Are the Naming Requirements for an LLC in Louisiana?
The naming requirements for an LLC in Louisiana include a distinguishable name, not including restricted words without proper paperwork, and ending with "Limited Liability Company," "L.L.C.," or "LLC."
Can I Check the Availability of a Domain Name for My LLC?
Yes, you can check the availability of a domain name for your LLC using domain name search tools like GoDaddy. The check ensures your desired website name is available.